Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excellent! But would you ask if they can be made to a look an even brighter silver?

I know😱But I just don't get black wheels.
Of the Tesla range, I like the bright sport wheels on the M3 and the refresh wheels on the MS.

Now then.... where is my " Teach Yourself to be less of an Old Fogey" book?
To be fair they are so advanced these days they can make them to look what ever you want them to look like.
Personally I like everything blacked out, black wheels, black car, black signage. That’s why there are different choices as we are all different.

From 26-30 June. I’m not too upset though. I was more upset when my M3 order before this got moved to November from May so that primed me a bit for this pushback I suppose.
There will be more moves however much I would like it to stay July. You too will probably revert.

We are but the playthings of the Tesla Gods.
Of course, as the Y is my first Tesla so, I'm supposing, was the Model 3 your first. Hence your more sanguine attitude this time around.

Ordering a Tesla is rather like setting your heart on that first sexual experience; some knockbacks (well for me) then when it arrives, huge joy followed by a slight sense anticlimax. Then you get the hang of it and it's all joy for years to come.

Now then.... where is the case for my rose tinted specs......

Speculation: People think that Tesla build in batches. This probably isn’t too speculative because, from a manufacturing process, it only makes sense to build in batches. Taken to the limit, if they “build to order” they would be getting, say, 300 orders per day with multiple different specs and building one, then the other, then another, in that same day, just wouldn’t make sense.

Not really; This does make good business sense and this is how most modern car production lines work. It all starts from the initial order, which triggers the production line slot, and automatically triggers orders for the parts from (Tesla's) suppliers when they need them (ie some bits are ordered that day, some maybe 4 days later, some 7 days later etc..); which then get delivered "Just in Time" to the assembly line. Then they get bolted on as the base car passes through the line. Which in the case of the Model Y, the variation list is tiny; seats, wheels, trim. All of which they will have a buffer stock of anyway to prevent halting the production line. This is the Kanban system which has been used in manufacturing for decades (They use the same methodology in McDonalds !)

Also, the MY cars are all exactly the same! The only difference is software activation and the initial body colour. Everything else is just bolted on; wheels, seats, wood/white trim. I bet even the LHD and RHD cars are exactly the same just with the steering wheel bolted opposite side underneath Tesla's symmetrical dash (unlike most manufacturers, where they have a completely different Asymetrical LHD/RHD dash and different parts, air ducts, wiring harness, switches, brackets, knobs, mirrors, labelling etc. !)

If you have an intelligent paint booth (or more than one) on your production line, you can have multi coloured cars coming off the production line all muddled up with each other 24 hours a day (and most do). Its just not an issue.

The main way manufacturers optimise efficiency (and save money), is to design for manufacture and reduce complexity which means holding less parts inventory by having less options, hence sharing a significant number of parts with the model 3, only 2 interior options, only one propulsion unit, only 2 wheel options and producing only one variant (LR) etc. Its pretty cunning stuff !

Maybe Tesla do secretly manufacture to order? maybe they don't? We'll probably never know. Considering how much into tech Elon is, and how long this methodology has been around in the automotive industry I'd be extremely surprised, if the orders didn't trigger the parts. What happens after that, well.... people are allowed to change their orders, change the colour, change their wheels, so perhaps this could be what triggers the "un-matching/matching" process. It's all a bit bizarre this matching you to a car while its on the boat thing. Why would you just guess and make lots of cars in lots of different spec, when you know who's ordered what at the very beginning??? It could all be just a ruse to create artificial scarcity. Who knows?

Anyway, this all works fine, if you don't have a pandemic and your production line isn't shut down, and your suppliers aren't shut down, there isn't a chip shortage and you don't have to ship your product half way around the world on a boat. Otherwise it'll work perfectly. Once the German GF is up and running, I'm sure it'll be 100% smoother!

I forgot to add, the perfect production line is one that runs smoothly and continuously 24 hours a day, has the parts bolted on just as they are delivered to the factory, and the car rolls off and is delivered to the customer that ordered it. Anything else, like stopping the production line or making in batches, and storing stock is just inefficient and doesn't make any business sense.

Reactions: Wattsisname
There will be more moves however much I would like it to stay July. You too will probably revert.

We are but the playthings of the Tesla Gods.
Of course, as the Y is my first Tesla so, I'm supposing, was the Model 3 your first. Hence your more sanguine attitude this time around.

Ordering a Tesla is rather like setting your heart on that first sexual experience; some knockbacks (well for me) then when it arrives, huge joy followed by a slight sense anticlimax. Then you get the hang of it and it's all joy for years to come.

Now then.... where is the case for my rose tinted specs......
Should be clear, I only had a M3 on order since March but changed to a Y on 1 May so it was inevitable really

Should be clear, I only had a M3 on order since March but changed to a Y on 1 May so it was inevitable really
Ah ha! So your Y was ordered two months after mine. Once they have overcome all the Q2 challenges, and ramp up fast, we will probably get our cars around the same time.

Of course, Shanghai, as the only export hub for now, is building for a number of countries.
We don't know of the marketing politics involved in those decisions.

For now, Tesla benefits from an inelastic demand situation i.e. we will accept much, give them the benefit of any doubt and still want our Tesla. e.g. I firmly decided in 2015 " One day". That day arrived, and I won't be easily swayed.

Also, it is so much more than a car into which we are buying.

Now then, where is that book on cults?

Reactions: QuanTim
I started a poll to try to figure out what % of people have had their delivery date pushed back out of Q2.
The more people who take part the better the picture we will get and its dropped off page one so I am shamelessly plugging it here to get a few more votes :)

For what it’s worth, I had a call from Tesla this morning in response to a text I sent asking if the date may slip again.

The guy said that the only reason for slippage now would be bad weather affecting shipping, so clearly they believe that my car will be on a boat due for delivery end of June.

I am slightly perturbed that it was a call rather than something in writing but slight encouragement…

Reactions: delta0
For what it’s worth, I had a call from Tesla this morning in response to a text I sent asking if the date may slip again.

The guy said that the only reason for slippage now would be bad weather affecting shipping, so clearly they believe that my car will be on a boat due for delivery end of June.

I am slightly perturbed that it was a call rather than something in writing but slight encouragement…
Actually, I would be encouraged rather than perturbed that someone took the trouble to call.
Also, there is nothing anymore binding or evidential in an email.
A bonus point is that you now have a name and possibly, a direct line number.
So, with luck and fair winds.......

Article from a couple of days ago that makes for unhappy reading, sorry if posted before, I didn't spot it in the forum.... Tesla Giga Shanghai remains on one closed-loop shift, ramp up delayed to next week
Don't worry much about this.

Tesla shipping LHD cars to Europe. The RHD is possibly being built and has been since last Tuesday. 1 shift is still outputting 1,200 cars per day. Even with the scale down to 200 p/d - its likely there is at least 1 ship, if not 2 ships worth due for export.

The 2 shift plan will get them to over 2k cars per day which will really help them clear the backlog in Q3. But, I really doubt it will be without issues. Covid will continue to hit the workforce within Tesla and also the supply chains. Its certainly going to be rocky.

Reactions: nscar and ME_UK
Don't worry much about this.

Tesla shipping LHD cars to Europe. The RHD is possibly being built and has been since last Tuesday. 1 shift is still outputting 1,200 cars per day. Even with the scale down to 200 p/d - its likely there is at least 1 ship, if not 2 ships worth due for export.

The 2 shift plan will get them to over 2k cars per day which will really help them clear the backlog in Q3. But, I really doubt it will be without issues. Covid will continue to hit the workforce within Tesla and also the supply chains. Its certainly going to be rocky.
What worries me is the production ramp. As the owner of a Dec 20 car, I speak from experience when I say that I have no wish to buy another car manufactured during a phase when the factory is ramping up production.

My Model Y order has now been pushed back to July so I have lost the guaranteed trade in. I'm seriously considering cancelling the order.

Actually, I would be encouraged rather than perturbed that someone took the trouble to call.
Also, there is nothing anymore binding or evidential in an email.
A bonus point is that you now have a name and possibly, a direct line number.
So, with luck and fair winds.......
That’s a good point, although may also have been secretly gauging from my tone whether I’m still in a position to proceed in the current quarter target!

That’s a good point, although may also have been secretly gauging from my tone whether I’m still in a position to proceed in the current quarter target!
There's probably a bit of that.
If I were them I would give a call to most customers who had a Q2/end of June EDD and see who's not ready to take delivery, so they can better allocate and satisfy customers who are, based on the reduced shipment volume. Would put less pressure on them.

What worries me is the production ramp. As the owner of a Dec 20 car, I speak from experience when I say that I have no wish to buy another car manufactured during a phase when the factory is ramping up production.

My Model Y order has now been pushed back to July so I have lost the guaranteed trade in. I'm seriously considering cancelling the order.
Your production ramp point is a nice nudge for anyone who's build quality paranoia as been slipping due to being fixed on the whens of delivery rather than the hows of build and finish.

I see where you are coming from, but are these production ramp/quality issues not more relevant to a ramp of new model production or of a new factory production ramp to full capacity. I don't believe that "ramp" means that production is double overnight or it would not be a "ramp."

Also, Giga Shanghai have been building cars for a while now. Of course, I am here stating the alternative more positive view for :
a) My (or should I say MY) mental health:)
b) For the sake of the dichotomy.

Actually, I have no idea:(

Now then ... where is my "Teach yourself to sound authoritative" book

Your production ramp point is a nice nudge for anyone who's build quality paranoia as been slipping due to being fixed on the whens of delivery rather than the hows of build and finish.

I see where you are coming from, but are these production ramp/quality issues not more relevant to a ramp of new model production or of a new factory production ramp to full capacity. I don't believe that "ramp" means that production is double overnight or it would not be a "ramp."

Also, Giga Shanghai have been building cars for a while now. Of course, I am here stating the alternative more positive view for :
a) My (or should I say MY) mental health:)
b) For the sake of the dichotomy.

Actually, I have no idea:(

Now then ... where is my "Teach yourself to sound authoritative" book
With limited cars coming across Tesla can’t afford to have a large number of rejects so I don’t think they would be trying to compromise on quality. The bottleneck is part supply not so much time.