Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In an effort to brighten up the doom and gloom permeating this thread, I think we all need to remember that - historically - EDDs are about as useful as an inflatable dart board (at least until they narrow to a very small window).

By this time next week, they'll likely have changed another 2 or 3 times for no apparent reason. Pure conjecture that should be treated as such.

What we do know is that Giga Shanghai is now back up and running and that they will be under pressure to start clearing the backlog in all regions, the increased domestic demand in China notwithstanding. And, whilst I do not profess to be an expert on Tesla's production capabilities, I find it very hard to believe that a 3-4 week shutdown would result in a 4-5 month delay in deliveries.

I'm staying hopeful. But am also weening myself off of the thrice-a-day addiction that is this thread as I'm going to have a mental breakdown. 😂
I’d like to believe this too.
The other issue is that if they do bring the date forward on short notice (in a typical Tesla fashion : “collect in the next three days or lose it and get bumped to Q4/2023”), I have an odd feeling that it would be early to mid-August, where most of us (at least me) will be on holiday abroad. That would just annoy me more.

Thats a good point, but the point I was making was that it’s not as simple as just making RHD or LHD cars. Even if it’s all done prior to the build process, they’ll still need to potentially use some different parts even if not shutting down the line and re-tooling.

if you were referring to a tour of the Mini plant, you can book here:

Cool. Thanks for that. I was talking about a GF tour. I've been on tours of Morgan, Vauxhall and Ford about 30 years back! Pretty interesting seeing all the random colours, spec, left and right hand drives going down the line all jumbled up and the line workers chucked us a few "GTi" badges! Morgan didn't really have a line, it was all moving from one building to another, such was the low volume "hand built" way at the time.

I wonder if the battery pack on the current version will be easier to change years down the line, rather than when they start using the structural battery pack; kind of like when apple changed their laptop batteries from being user replaceable to a laptop disassembly via a trip to the Apple store. There is a lot of hype about the bigger (physical) battery size. compared to the current ones. In my opinion its over hyped. It's like buying 6 huge oranges instead of 10 small ones and saying they contain 40% more juice per battery! (The total amount of juice is still the same but there is less skin in total :cool:).

Congratulations to you guys that are collecting your cars, not sure if it helps me reading about it though when my EDD has been May, June, July, August and September, whats next😩
When i ordered the MY i thought i had finished watching car review videos and trawling through Auto Trader but have now started doing it again.
Its a repeat of the process i went through to arrive at ordering a MY. Help!!!!

Lol yeah was gonna say unless you're really unhappy there's just no point canceling since if you want an EV chances are any order will be just as long or longer
I wonder if the others provide their customers with a drip feed of hope between plunging despair; give some, snatch it back, bring it forward again and then snatch it back. ( Despair? I am rather over egging it here for dramatic effect.) Maybe their approach is to say at the outset "We will give you a car in nine months. Now go away and forget about it until then.)

Of course there has been the devastating Covid impact on the people of Shanghai but they have made valiant efforts to get back to car making.

However, I wonder if this roller coster ride of delivery uncertainty is nothing new to Tesla? Clearly, though exacerbated this year by incredible demand and the pandemic which, despite Tesla Shanghai's best efforts, will have also hit their parts suppliers. Add to this to all the other shortages and we have either a "perfect storm" or a " storm in a (china) teacup". Of course, the latter. It's only a car! 🥲 Isn't it?

Good luck to all who have or soon will graduate from here to their cars and thank goodness for the Teslamotorsclub.com and the sense of fun and common purpose it engenders. Remember to be available in future to provide spurious information and questionable advice to the classes of '23 and '24 😂; we have learned enough to become first tier windup merchants:cool:

Now then.... must check on the latest iD4 waiting list....

I wonder how the shift to Aug Jul wil affect M3 trade in. I’m trying to keep my milage as low as possible but am expecting a big hit.

I have a trip to Southern Spain booked for July but will probably cancel and go in September.

I’d like to believe this too.
The other issue is that if they do bring the date forward on short notice (in a typical Tesla fashion : “collect in the next three days or lose it and get bumped to Q4/2023”), I have an odd feeling that it would be early to mid-August, where most of us (at least me) will be on holiday abroad. That would just annoy me more.
Good point. Would anyone waiting on a Red/white/Gems who is going to be away in August, please make themselves known.

Now then....I love a mixed metaphor : I am a shark slowly circling in the hope of low hanging fruit.:rolleyes:

As angry as I am with Tesla right now, I still think the Polestar is fugly with a sad and boring interior. I’d rather have an EV6 or a Ioniq5.
If we get pushed well into Q3/Q4, then the wait for what’s coming in 2023 like the ID7 or the first A6 electric looks much more interesting and could possibly hit Tesla resale value in 2y time…
Sadly for them the 4 to 6 month delay they’ve added today might be a wake up call for me. As I won’t have my long anticipated car for this summer, I’d rather wait another year and make a better decision for the long-term…
Polestar 3 is interesting imo but lacking solid detail at the moment

Volvo xc90 dimensions perhaps?

I like that polestar is running google software (I like android) but the P2 is lacking on space

BMW unveiled the iX1 this week which seems to be more like an x3 space wise compared to the gen1 X1 so I'm keeping an eye on that. Dual motor long range as standard by the looks of it though, which is annoying

I don't want to buy an enormous battery but I want a practical EV

ID4 and Skoda enyaq are only cars that really tick that box but huge waiting list and skoda de listed the std range temporarily as well.

Getting my inflatable kayaks in and out of the M3 is getting tiresome now and half tempted to cash it in, go back to ICE for a while and wait a couple of years

Congratulations to you guys that are collecting your cars, not sure if it helps me reading about it though when my EDD has been May, June, July, August and September, whats next😩
When i ordered the MY i thought i had finished watching car review videos and trawling through Auto Trader but have now started doing it again.
Its a repeat of the process i went through to arrive at ordering a MY. Help!!!!
If your EDD has been May, June, July, August and September, then clearly October is next. I hope this helps 😂

• Funny
Reactions: s88ats and Pajo78
How was the test drive? I have a M3LR at the moment with a Y due for delivery end of month (19" wheels). I didn't notice any difference in the ride quality to the M3 compared to the Y to be honest.
Coming from the 2018 Tiguan R-Line (without suspension control) with the 20” wheels, and previously having a 2009 3 series on run-flats into the MYLR that I test drove, I’d say the MYLR with 19s is somewhat more refined a drive than those two. I’ve also had a 2016 A4 Avant S-Line which is quieter in the cabin and a bit of a smoother ride. But even with its 272ps v6 TDI engine, it wouldn’t get close to how swiftly the MYLR can move off the lights or on the motorway.

Ultimately, I’ve seen quite a lot of videos and comments in other threads here saying the ride is harsh or uncompromising. With my car history, I’d disagree. I’m happily looking forward to the delivery of the car.

On the topic of delivery, my last email from LeasePlan stated a 28 October delivery. The rep in the showroom had a look on the system and saw September (no date).

It would be bizarre to design a new production line from scratch that couldn't cope with different markets without stopping and re-tooling

Tesla's production line builds in batches (i.e. it doesn't build different / mixed car specs coming down the line) and builds a car in 10 hours, but VW take 30 So much for Tesla's antiquated inflexible production line.

There is a lot of hype about the bigger (physical) battery size. compared to the current ones
It's like buying 6 huge oranges instead of 10 small ones and saying they contain 40% more juice per battery!

The benefit is if the replacement battery has higher energy density. The oldest Leafs can be fitted with a newer battery (relatively easily - unplug the old, plug the new in :) - if rather expensively) and get a huge increase in range (and of course get back the degradation that Leaf's are notorious for)

Whether that will be a thing for cars such as Tesla that have a much greater range battery I think is debateable. When I changed mine I went from 250 to 300 (true motorway) mile range - and sticker-price was 20% less too :) I'm happy with 300 mile range, I have very few out-and-back UK journeys that need more, so whereas my Supercharge usage was a couple of days a month now it is only for longer trips - i.e. exceeding 300 miles - typically journeys which are drive-charge-drive-charge

Higher density batteries will have less weight (for a given range), so if the replacement is "same kWh" it will have more range due to less weight.

But batteries are very expensive, so I'm sceptical there will be demand (unless the battery is knackered for some reason). Battery will be good for 150K miles, probably stretch to 200K miles with perhaps a tolerable amount of degradation ... by which time the rest of the car is going to pretty old / worn, so in most cases the car may well be pretty knackered by then. Lifetime cycles of batteries is increasing - next generation will be million-mile - maybe the need will be for a replacement frame, rather than replacing the battery!

I wonder if this roller coster ride of delivery uncertainty is nothing new to Tesla?

There have been times of long-lead (e.g. when M3 first came out and Production Hell learning-curve restricted the number that were actually built), but generally Price has been used as a demand-lever to keep delivery period short. So recently it has been reasonable to expect "this quarter" (if you were lucky, and the Colour/Option combination was not fully allocated) or "next quarter" for sure. The unfortuante Shanghai lockdown, and perhaps the huge order from Hertz - maybe more like that to follow? - has changed that lately. Hard to know how long the knock-on from that will take to clear. I suppose the new German factory should ease the situation (along with the doubling of Shanghai and new Texas factories)

Price has been raised a lot, and demand doesn't seem to have subsided ...

Could someone help me with the trade in process? I’ve received my final offer which I’m going to accept, they want the V5 and Final settlement letter (for remaining finance) for my vehicle. Do I uploaded this now or wait closer to the delivery date which is the 29th June. Also on the day of collection for I just park my existing car and hand over the key cards? Or will I need to wait for someone to perform a final inspection?

Taking a wild guess there are going to be a lot of demo Y's coming up on the inventory soon enough. Went for an extended test drive late yesterday (overnight) and had a Y booked but Tesla had 'sold' one of the demo Y's 10mins before I got there so they couldn't let me have it... so ended up with a M3LR instead.

I'm guessing this isn't 'sold' but about to be added to inventory etc which the SA seemed to agree with (they're just told to park it and prep for sale basically by Tesla) when I told him it hadn't come up on inventory yet. So if you're happy with a demo car then keep an eye out!

In other news, the M3LR was absolutely epic and now I'm back to M3 vs MY in my head, even though I have a MY on order... doh!

First post on here after being mildly addicted this thread for long enough 😂

Looks like the EDD has updated on the website for new orders, showing Nov 2022 - Jan 2023 for most configurations of the MYLR now.

Got my order in early May through the company car scheme at work, hopefully my EDD of October will still be the case. Fingers crossed.

Screenshot 2022-06-02 191525.png

Reactions: Daedalus