Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is odd, the level of optimism the EDD sometimes has. In April when we ordered the Model Y we were told it would likely be ready in September, however our EDD was constantly changing and narrowing in to a week in June despite all of the supply and shipping issues not tying in with that at all. It would have been much easier to deal with and plan for if our EDD had remained in September, although on the plus side (for Tesla) it made sure we stocked up on all of the accessories and charge point much sooner than we'd planned. The EDD is now the whole of September so I should be feeling optimistic but I don't want to get my hopes up.
I agree, and I also think they kept our interest from straying to the competition, although there isn't any really and lead times are longer for anything else. On the plus side we also get the cars at the old price, but the EDD fiasco did not add anything to the experience.

It is odd, the level of optimism the EDD sometimes has. In April when we ordered the Model Y we were told it would likely be ready in September, however our EDD was constantly changing and narrowing in to a week in June despite all of the supply and shipping issues not tying in with that at all. It would have been much easier to deal with and plan for if our EDD had remained in September, although on the plus side (for Tesla) it made sure we stocked up on all of the accessories and charge point much sooner than we'd planned. The EDD is now the whole of September so I should be feeling optimistic but I don't want to get my hopes up.
Pessimism runs rife in these forums, I guess it's a human nature thing to prepare for the worst whilst hoping for the best?

You'll see it all again in a couple of weeks when the delivery dates get assigned there will be mad panic of swirly paint from the delivery cleaners using brillo pads on the cars, missing charging cables will appear again, panel gaps and whatever else can be thought of? In Q2 when the cars arrived the feedback reports were way more positive than negative.

I tried to put an element of reality into the delivery woes as few months back but got shot down by someone who cared not two hoots for the bedding down Shangai workers in their bubbles and the war in Ukraine so I gave up. They just wanted their car and to come here and moan regardless.

Anyhow, all other marques are considerably more delayed. Work colleague of my wife collected their Porsche Taycan after 14 months and his colleague who just ordered has been told to wait 20 months. Another mate of mine is due an ICE BMW in a fortnight, that took over a year to arrive.

Tesla still have one of the fastest delivery times around, it's just their business model of production and delivery cannot be fathomed and so throws everyone out with the roller coaster of EDD's. Mine changes twice a week, we had a June date like many at some point but it was initially September when we ordered so that's our expectation. If it doesn't come not much we can do? The original i4 we ordered before the MY got pushed back from Sept 22, Nov 22 and then to an unknown date in 2023 so that was cancelled.

Fingers crossed for us all🤞🤞

Pessimism runs rife in these forums, I guess it's a human nature thing to prepare for the worst whilst hoping for the best?

You'll see it all again in a couple of weeks when the delivery dates get assigned there will be mad panic of swirly paint from the delivery cleaners using brillo pads on the cars, missing charging cables will appear again, panel gaps and whatever else can be thought of? In Q2 when the cars arrived the feedback reports were way more positive than negative.

I tried to put an element of reality into the delivery woes as few months back but got shot down by someone who cared not two hoots for the bedding down Shangai workers in their bubbles and the war in Ukraine so I gave up. They just wanted their car and to come here and moan regardless.

Anyhow, all other marques are considerably more delayed. Work colleague of my wife collected their Porsche Taycan after 14 months and his colleague who just ordered has been told to wait 20 months. Another mate of mine is due an ICE BMW in a fortnight, that took over a year to arrive.

Tesla still have one of the fastest delivery times around, it's just their business model of production and delivery cannot be fathomed and so throws everyone out with the roller coaster of EDD's. Mine changes twice a week, we had a June date like many at some point but it was initially September when we ordered so that's our expectation. If it doesn't come not much we can do? The original i4 we ordered before the MY got pushed back from Sept 22, Nov 22 and then to an unknown date in 2023 so that was cancelled.

Fingers crossed for us all🤞🤞
I originally ‘Liked’ but have decided to reply, only to emphasise the balance and optimism in your comments. It is easy to get cynical and negative, recognising that it is really only born out of impatience. As you say, the comments from the lucky ones who receive their cars are overwhelmingly positive and the lead times really are the best around by some way - not to mention all of the other reasons why we have chosen Tesla. The EDD is only an attempt to give us some idea.

Agree with everyone on here.

The "hardest" part for me is the constant bloody checking. Not only of the Tesla account which, c'mon QuanTim, nothing is going to change from one half hour to the next (!), but also of this forum on any shipping updates.

If I had a hidden VIN, I think I'd be more chill because then I'd know a) which ship it might be on, and b) when the approximate arrival of that ship might be. I'd then know c) that Tesla will SMS me at some point 2 weeks prior to docking (though I do wonder if I had a VIN, might I then be checking the ships progress every 30 mins or so? I'll let you all know if I succumb to that haha).

Right now, I don't know whether my car is on COMPANION or if it's yet to be built. If it's on the ship, happy friggin days - I can go back to chill mode - if it's not, then think my settings will then be set to ludicrous mode once again.

Ordered a LR, through lease company at the end of July, received RN number on the 28th july. i called the tesla number and they state delivery December to March 2023. By the looks of things, most people on this forum have waited approx 6 months. better than other manufacturers wait of 1-2 years !!

Reactions: Toblerone
It could be worse, I have leased mine through Salary Sacrifice in April, therefore nothing on the app or in account in respect of an EDD, Telsa won't tell me anything as I need to go through Leasing company, leasing company can't tell me anything as they only get sporadic updates from Tesla - I eventually managed to get an off record possibility of September but nothing more than that........

Reactions: MattYLR
I agree with ya'll!

I will wait as long as it takes cos this is the only car (to me) worth waiting for. Like many, we have/had nice ICE cars etc. and I was not in the mindset to ever change... but we all somehow ended up here and the rest is history, right? :D I remember that feeling after the test drive, a deep rooted one in the gut saying, this is it, 100% no looking back, go forth and make it happen.

Now, apart from the comparatively short waiting period where I know I have contributed a few million refresh hits on the tesla.com web site, all I am thinking about now is the next type of "waits" that we will all hopefully be going through.

Currently we are in the calm before the VIN storm but then we'll have to wait for our own hidden VIN to appear (while watching others get theirs), then the waiting for the ship to arrive, then waiting for it to unload, then for pickup date and then if all that goes to plan, the start of an awesome adventure with us behind the wheel of a brand spanking new MY.

Oh boy, I can not wait, again! :D

It could be worse, I have leased mine through Salary Sacrifice in April, therefore nothing on the app or in account in respect of an EDD, Telsa won't tell me anything as I need to go through Leasing company, leasing company can't tell me anything as they only get sporadic updates from Tesla - I eventually managed to get an off record possibility of September but nothing more than that........
Same here! It's a nightmare! As I ordered at the end of March I've decided to get the ball rolling and have taken my private plate off my current car in anticipation for a September delivery.... could turn out to be a bad move, but at least it feels like I'm doing something!

I agree with ya'll!

I will wait as long as it takes cos this is the only car (to me) worth waiting for. Like many, we have/had nice ICE cars etc. and I was not in the mindset to ever change... but we all somehow ended up here and the rest is history, right? :D I remember that feeling after the test drive, a deep rooted one in the gut saying, this is it, 100% no looking back, go forth and make it happen.

Now, apart from the comparatively short waiting period where I know I have contributed a few million refresh hits on the tesla.com web site, all I am thinking about now is the next type of "waits" that we will all hopefully be going through.

Currently we are in the calm before the VIN storm but then we'll have to wait for our own hidden VIN to appear (while watching others get theirs), then the waiting for the ship to arrive, then waiting for it to unload, then for pickup date and then if all that goes to plan, the start of an awesome adventure with us behind the wheel of a brand spanking new MY.

Oh boy, I can not wait, again! :D
💯agree

1598003B-E1A6-4E7D-BB0F-64A0BCDBA708.jpeg

What a morning, 8 am start for me! after delivery on 28th July, 600 mile round trip to wales, now was the time for a full wash, decontamination and ceramic coating, the sun ruined my plans to ceramic the glass as it’s now in full sun, I think I earned a beer after all that….

No way would I pay someone £1k + to do ceramic it’s easy to DIY and looks great.

Next up vinyl front plate and getting rid of rear plate surround

View attachment 838057
What a morning, 8 am start for me! after delivery on 28th July, 600 mile round trip to wales, now was the time for a full wash, decontamination and ceramic coating, the sun ruined my plans to ceramic the glass as it’s now in full sun, I think I earned a beer after all that….

No way would I pay someone £1k + to do ceramic it’s easy to DIY and looks great.

Looks stunning. Which kit did you use and can recommend?

View attachment 838057

This shouldn't be allowed! I've had to make do with washing my van today! it should have been my Tesla 🤣

I used my tears to wash the wheels, nobody could see my crying crouched down there!

Last edited:
As each day (/hour) goes by that I don't get my VIN, I do get a sense of relief (schadenfreude?) that I'm not seeing an influx of posts on here of other people getting VINs 🤣 I know not every Tesla order is on here, but I'd expect enough to be on here to get a sense of when the next round of VIN allocations starts/finishes, and to know if I look like I'm missing out

View attachment 838057

Nice work...I don't think I would have the guts seeing that my order is black and would likely come with paint imprecations which will be quite obvious.

Same here! It's a nightmare! As I ordered at the end of March I've decided to get the ball rolling and have taken my private plate off my current car in anticipation for a September delivery.... could turn out to be a bad move, but at least it feels like I'm doing something!
Yup ditto, was told June so took my private plate off ready in May - plates are still in the garage!

As each day (/hour) goes by that I don't get my VIN, I do get a sense of relief (schadenfreude?) that I'm not seeing an influx of posts on here of other people getting VINs 🤣 I know not every Tesla order is on here, but I'd expect enough to be on here to get a sense of when the next round of VIN allocations starts/finishes, and to know if I look like I'm missing out
I expect VIN notifications will start arriving tomorrow evening connected to glovis companion, and will continue to end of this week. It already feels like exam results week, you want to look but also feel like shying away just in case it’s bad news 🙈. In the end, none of us actually mind the queue which is shorter than other car companies. What we do absolutely mind is when folks who order much later than us, get their cars before us. Let’s hope all the feb guys get theirs and then March is fully allocated and so on. If early May get theirs I will be chuffed as it will match the original order EDD which I got. I will be raging mad if someone who ordered in June got theirs before me. Queue skipping, regardless of circumstances or reason, is just not British.