Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Insurance Quotes Gone Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there - Newbie here - Getting my Y on 19th Feb. Direct Line wanting £694 (£500 excess) (me and wife both 40's clean history) but Compare the Market offering me Admiral at £504 (£704 Excess).

Will keep looking but thought I'd share in case it helps others.

Hi Ethernat. My understanding is that the pre delivery number plates won't be linked to the DVLA database at the time of issue preventing auto population of the car details on Insurer's databases. Cars are not normally registered with the DVLA until 24-48 hours before delivery.

However, as you have discovered, you can obtain a quote from an insurer by just enter the car details manually which remains active for around 30 days. You should be able to follow through by bringing up the quote, enter the reg and activate the insurance either via website or phone. This may have to be done nearer the time of collection.
So this being my first Electric car and and also first Tesla I am shocked. Directline would not underwrite me and would not say why, Our old Ageas insurance people dont insure any electric cars at all they said, NFU insure all electric cars except tesla... finally got it with Admiral... This whole insurance industry needs a shake up. Wake up for good ness sake the world is going electric.

My MY is not due until March so I have time to wait for more companies to come onboard but I have been shocked at the different quotes I have been getting.

Live in Essex, I am in early 40s, partner in early 50s - 12 NCB - no motoring offences or claims, park on drive over night, only social driving, <5k miles a year etc.

Direct line want £1.5k; Admiral quoting £950 (slight less if I add my sister who does occasional drive our cars).

I am used to high quotes from by previous BMW M135i days, but Direct Line was shocking.

Got a quote online with Direct Line on Monday for Model Y, by choosing it manually from the drop down as the registration number is not yet recognised.

Called up today to try to finalise, giving them the reg number from Tesla. But, the guy on the phone can't compete the quote as *his* system doesn't recognise the Model Y as a valid vehicle 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ he only has Model S/X/3 on his screen. Making me rethink insuring with them as they can't get basics like this right.

Anybody managed to give Direct Line money for their Model Y insurance yet?

Got a quote online with Direct Line on Monday for Model Y, by choosing it manually from the drop down as the registration number is not yet recognised.

Called up today to try to finalise, giving them the reg number from Tesla. But, the guy on the phone can't compete the quote as *his* system doesn't recognise the Model Y as a valid vehicle 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ he only has Model S/X/3 on his screen. Making me rethink insuring with them as they can't get basics like this right.

I've decided not to go with DL because their quote isn't competetive. I'll try next week or closer to the delivery time.

I also got a quote from Direct Line on Monday for the MY... strange that on the phone they couldn't see it, since when I called last week, the guy on the phone told me that the source of data would be the same, so when they'd be able to see it in the system, I'd also be able to see it online!

I also got a quote from Direct Line on Monday for the MY... strange that on the phone they couldn't see it, since when I called last week, the guy on the phone told me that the source of data would be the same, so when they'd be able to see it in the system, I'd also be able to see it online!
Thankfully, they called back an hour or so later and managed to to sort it out 👍

Been trying to get a quote with Direct Line based on my LTD Company as registered keeper/owner (selected ‘Company’ in options - is this correct?) and kept getting refused insurance. Changed registered keeper/owner to ‘Personal’ and receive a quote no problem - anyone else having the same or am I inputting something wrong? Buying car through LTD Company which I’ve not done before, only ever owned personally
I got refused by DL for company leased M3LR, not sure why. Ended up with Admiral.

Tesla's recommended insurer is Direct Line but when I tried to get a quote from them I found they wouldn't quote on a Model Y where my limited company is the registered keeper.
With Admiral I noticed the price was £70 cheaper for me if it was registered in my name, Direct Line seems not to like it unless the V5 is in your name either and is the reason they come up with the can't insure issue.

Tesla's recommended insurer is Direct Line but when I tried to get a quote from them I found they wouldn't quote on a Model Y where my limited company is the registered keeper.
I’ve had a similar issue - does your company need to be the registered keeper? From previous discussions on here and what my situation is: LTD Company owns the car, you personally are the registered keeper as that has no impact on the tax benefit (as confirmed by my accountant). V5 is just the person using the car. DL then quoted for me

DIRECT LINE WILL NOW ACTUALLY INSURE YOUR MODEL Y!

Phoned today to talk about calling them on my mobile on the 19th to get insured. Blah blah, but at the end of call mentioned that I had my reg plate number. He then went on to explain that web site can't do it, but actual operatives are empowered to do so, even without DVLA registration.. Cut a long story short, I pays my money and gets insured as per a confirmatory email. So hassle on the day reduced.

Tesla reduces its costs by doing all at last minute by making sure customer turns up before registering the plate.

D Line says that even if there is a plate mix up, they can sort it on the day.

Hope this helps. £480.23, both old and clean as a whistle.

Getting my model Y on 3rd March. Been trying to get quotes for insurance and shocked at the prices. First off DL refused to quote. Admiral quoted £2500 with a £500 compulsory excess. Im 35, clean license with no claims and 13 years NCD.

I gave up - have been checking prices on the comparison sites for a couple of weeks and always been double what I was paying for my last car (same performance, more expensive). Yesterday none of the comparison sites would even give me a quote so I took a DL quote I had (£700, 43, no claims/convictions, 9 yrs NCD, countryside dweller). Will figure out a cheaper option in a year when I'm sure there will be a lot more choice.

I gave up - have been checking prices on the comparison sites for a couple of weeks and always been double what I was paying for my last car (same performance, more expensive). Yesterday none of the comparison sites would even give me a quote so I took a DL quote I had (£700, 43, no claims/convictions, 9 yrs NCD, countryside dweller). Will figure out a cheaper option in a year when I'm sure there will be a lot more choice.
Its better to take insurance on a monthly basis and switch to a better deal as we should see more insurers in Q2. Even if you pay fully, they will anyway refund remaining amount so its not the end of the world.

Reactions: blert
Odd, I’m with Direct line for my model 3, rang up earlier to get quote for early March MY delivery. She couldn’t find it listed her end at first but put me on hold for a bit and came back all fine. asking if model y long range or performance and telling me the HP.
But if a surprise with my model 3 fully comp running until end June said it would be £68 refund in switching to Y.
(My company will be registered owner)

We won’t talk about the excess though

Status
Not open for further replies.