Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs Mustang Mach E

Is the $7500 tax credit worth waiting months to get Mach E instead of Model Y?

• Yes

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • No

Votes: 216 83.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I’m trying to decide between a Mustang Mach E and a Tesla model Y, and I was hoping to get an idea of the pros and cons of both.

The way I see it they are very comparable in terms of performance, perhaps small advantage to the Mach E but nothing significant, but the Mach- E is of course substantially cheaper with the $7500 tax credit.

The advantage I see for the model y is that would be able to get it almost immediately while would probably have to wait quite a while to get one while Ford works through their order backlog.
I mean they are both very good vehicles probably can’t go wrong with either but wanted to see what everyone’s thoughts are.

Thanks!

If you can wait? I'd personally suggest waiting. Almost all of the Mach E reviews are positive and one of the biggest benefits of Mach E, is that Ford's customer service and build quality exceeds Teslas. (By a large margin). And the Mach E GT should be a very solid performer.

True, Tesla has the supercharger network which comes in very handy if you travel a lot. And the TEsla will have longer range, if that's a requirement. But Ford relies on third party charging networks which are also plentiful, but not at same level as the SC network.

But as someone who has owned both Ford products and Tesla, I can personally attest to there being zero comparison as it relates to customer service and actual service, between the two.

Tesla will continue to lead in the area of autopilot, but in my opinion, biggest benefit of AP is highway traveling. And most other carmakers are close if not better (SuperCruise for Cadillac does not require hands on steering wheel like TEsla does) at highway AP. For city, Tesla is leading but Im so far not convinced it will be ANY time soon where it literally is 100% hands off non intervention driving at all times like Elon has promoted as "coming soon" for so long.

The Model Y has the following capabilities not currently available on the Mustang Mach-E:
  1. Optional 3rd row seating for 2, total of 7 passengers (Currently available on all Model Y except the Performance model.)
  2. All configurations of the Model Y can be equipped with a tow hitch, tow up to 3500 lbs; Can use with a bike rack (up to 160 lbs unsupported tongue weight)

I know most buyers don't care, but for those of us that do, the Mach-E AWD Extended is rated at 90empg combined, while the Y Long-range AWD is rated at 125empg. That's a pretty significant difference that affects range, charging times AND fuel costs. I had been looking very seriously at the Mach-E, but dropped it from consideration for that reason.

I agree with everything that people have written above, but two things that I feel could use more context:

But as someone who has owned both Ford products and Tesla, I can personally attest to there being zero comparison as it relates to customer service and actual service, between the two.

I don't doubt your experience, but I have also owned both. Given my experience, I'd still rather stick with Tesla, even though their service has declined over the past few years.

You know Tesla is making vehicles in China currently, right?

Yes, but OP is US-based and the cars sold in the US are made in the US, so tashtibet's comment is applicable.

also, important (with any vehicle) to purchase based on your needs/requirements. For me and my needs, long range really isnt that much of a factor. 90% of my driving is around town (even during non pandemic times) and I havent taken a road trip longer than 180 miles each way, in about 6 years. I also have never towed and dont live in a rural area. So even the lowest range Tesla, is longer range than I need.

Some of the tests that show who can get across country the quickest, or who can go the longest range or who can get 0-60 in 2.3 seconds vs 3.5 seconds? Not really crucial to me and my needs.

But again...my needs are just mine. Others may have wholly different needs

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak
I’m trying to decide between a Mustang Mach E and a Tesla model Y, and I was hoping to get an idea of the pros and cons of both.

You should go test drive both and decide for yourself.

Telsa has better charging options for long trips: SuperCharger network is amazing. Model 3 and Y have very stiff suspension and ‘road’ noise can be an issue (I believe due to glass roof ?). I can’t speak to PROs and CONs of Mach E.

Ford is doing fairly limited run of Mach E to start (50,000 in 2021 for worldwide sales I believe), will you actually be able to purchase one?

I would personally skip Fords first generation vehicles, just like I skip Apples first generation products. Let them work out the kinks.

—-
<rant>
Unless something very strange happens I will never buy a vehicle from a legacy car maker again.

These bastards would not be offering any EV now if Telsa had not been leading the way, they have all been either actively against EV and emission standards or pretending like it was too hard to do.

Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

This is a company I can actually get behind, they are dragging the rest of the industry into the future kicking and screaming like the little brats they are.

Are Tesla cars perfect, no? Is their service good? According to lots of people it sucks, I haven’t had a single issue with my car so can’t say one way or the other - it seems to differ by Service Center, which isn’t much different than legacy car makers in my experience.

The only service I have received was installing roof racks, someone came to my house to do the install while I continued to work; that is pretty, pretty, pretty good service in my mind.
</rant>

The cellphone integration on a Ford is world-class.

There is a performance Mach-E coming with 19" front brakes. That is not a misprint. Dang. M3 is what, 12.5" ?

Interesting. I don’t even think Porsche uses brake rotors that big. I wonder what the rational is for 19” rotors with regen. Maybe if you’re towing and need stopping power, but even HD trucks don’t have brake systems that size.

Hi everyone,

The way I see it they are very comparable in terms of performance, perhaps small advantage to the Mach E but nothing significant, but the Mach- E is of course substantially cheaper with the $7500 tax credit.

The advantage I see for the model y is that would be able to get it almost immediately while would probably have to wait quite a while to get one while Ford works through their order backlog.
I mean they are both very good vehicles probably can’t go wrong with either but wanted to see what everyone’s thoughts are.

Thanks!

I've been a 2x previous Mustang owner...had a '08 GT and a '05 V6 convertible...that was the year they first did the redesign and l truly loved both those cars. So I think the fit and finish the Mach-E will be impressive. They have the time to have ironed out the manufacturing challenges Tesla has. However, I'm more interested in the tech and for me, the MY takes the cake. Still, I know the Mach-E will do well, and I'm very excited where EVs are going. Competition usually is good for us all. The tax credit is a huge thing...and the advantage of this growing market, is the credit may drive more people to EVs...thus keeping competition fierce.

—-
<rant>
Unless something very strange happens I will never buy a vehicle from a legacy car maker again.

These bastards would not be offering any EV now if Telsa had not been leading the way, they have all been either actively against EV and emission standards or pretending like it was too hard to do.

Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

This is a company I can actually get behind, they are dragging the rest of the industry into the future kicking and screaming like the little brats they are.

Are Tesla cars perfect, no? Is their service good? According to lots of people it sucks, I haven’t had a single issue with my car so can’t say one way or the other - it seems to differ by Service Center, which isn’t much different than legacy car makers in my experience.

</rant>

Amen to that.

the Mach-E AWD Extended is rated at 90empg combined, while the Y Long-range AWD is rated at 125empg. That's a pretty significant difference that affects range, charging times AND fuel costs
This. It also affects total emissions given most owners are not charging on renewable energy alone. Efficiency is still important in EVs if any part of your decision is eco-consciousness, because more efficiency = less power per mile = less emissions per mile, just like an ICE vehicle. No manufacturer is anywhere close to Tesla efficiency...

I love going on road trips, either short one's around Colorado or longer one's out of state. People talk about Range Anxiety a lot with electric car's. However, with non-Tesla's I think I would also have Charging Anxiety because you would be reliant on 3rd party chargers that can be very unreliable. Just watch any of the Out of Spec motoring videos where they go on road trips in non-Tesla's. It is very eye opening on what it is like currently trying to charge outside of the Supercharger network. The Supercharger network to me is Tesla's biggest accomplishment and it is completely unmatched.

Everyone has their own needs and wants. The Mach E has some very competitive advantages in the sense of creature comforts and might fit your needs better.

However, I would disagree with others on Fords advantage when it comes to customer service as your customer service experience will vary as dealerships are not owned by Ford, but are independent.

I’ve had several dealership experiences where I’ve purchased a car at a good price from dealer A, but was wise enough to go to dealer B for service needs because dealer A’s service department was atrocious.

Also build quality is subjective. My Y was absolutely perfect. My main issue (I thought was an issue) was my vanity mirrors were scratched but it was just the plastic protector film. Lol.

From exploding sunroofs to leaky break fluid, every manufacturer has build/design issues that eventually make their way the light. Yes Tesla has issues, but so does everyone else.

Most of Tesla’s issues have been aesthetic as opposed to dangerous. I’d go for a misaligned frunk over a safety issue any day of the week

Nissan's Exploding Sunroof Problem Could Be Incredibly Dangerous

Ford Recalls F-150 Trucks Due to Brake Concerns

Also remember that not all Ford dealers are yet participating in the Mach E, so you may need to go to a specific dealer for issues.

People tempted to wait for a Mach E should also be keenly aware of dealer markup. The current demand for the Mach E is constrained (good for Ford) and dealers are taking advantage of this bottle neck. Ford Mustang Mach-E: Dealers Reportedly Adding $15,000 Markup Over MSRP

So, that $7500 tax break could easily evaporate thanks to the car stealership model.

Who knows how long you will need to wait too. Ford is only making 50k Mach E’s this year. That’s a drop in the bucket compared to Tesla’s capacity.

Thus if Ford remains supply constrained, every Mach E will have significant markup like dealers have done with the raptor and every popular car Ford makes.

Your advantage with a Tesla is not just the Supercharger network, but the batteries themselves. The batteries on a Y are leaps and bounds better than anyone else.

The Y is also based off the 3, so Tesla has this down when it comes to building a reliable car. No telling how reliable the mustang will be

So sure wait for the rebate, but take into account:
  • Dealer markup.
  • Service only available at authorized dealers.
  • Supply constraint could be a wait way longer than several months.
  • Federal rebate does not apply if you don’t owe taxes, so plan accordingly.
  • No proven reliability track record.
  • Battery tech behind Tesla (not saying it’s bad tech, but Ford isn’t leading)
  • No supercharger network.

You know Tesla is making vehicles in China currently, right? And that your argument makes zero sense.

Both are American manufacturers.
Love all the out-of-spite disagreements here.

Am I missing something? Ford is not considered an American manufacturer because they produce some vehicles in Mexico, but Tesla is considered American, even though they produce vehicles in China?

The Kool-aid is strong on this forum.

The cellphone integration on a Ford is world-class.

There is a performance Mach-E coming with 19" front brakes. That is not a misprint. Dang. M3 is what, 12.5" ?
Unless you are on an actual racetrack, an EV will use regen breaking most of the time which also makes your brake pads go a lot longer. Also means your brakes won’t fade coming down a long mountain grade.