Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Uk-bound Ships?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I kept quiet about the Lake Geneva which commenced loading at Pier 80 last Sunday as I had a nagging feeling that it wasn't Europe bound and as it happens it's off to China. The RCC Europe is now loading. Some would argue that a clue to the ship's destination is in its name however this ship has 'CHINA SHIPPING" in big bold letters along its side which some would say is also a bit of a clue. This ship could make it to Zeebrugge a week before Christmas but equally it can reach China too which doesn't shutdown for days in the lead up to the year end.
At the end of the last quarter, cars were trucked across to the East Coast and shipped direct to Southampton but I'm not convinced that this will happen this quarter - there doesn't appear to be the mad scramble to achieve quarterly figures as there was last time. This is possibly due the extra ship that they have managed to fill and deliver from Pier 80 to Zeebrugge. As has been reported elsewhere there is a bit of a logjam of cars sitting on European docks at the moment following the 'hiccup' and the situation is about to get worse with the arrival of Grand Neptune at Zeebrugge tomorrow.
So all in all there are indications that revenue targets for Europe for this quarter will be achieved without a scramble.
The RCC Europe may well be off to China.

Why would they send over more ships to Europe ? The cars just sit in the ports and they can’t sort out delivery and logistics it would be a total non sense as they won’t be able to deliver them to costumers anyway, might as well send it somewhere where they can delivering it as well... (and I’m saying this that I’m in a position of waiting and would want my car as soon as possible, but even if it would be on the next ship won’t have it this year)

But I don’t know how did they managed to land all those rockets but can’t plan and sort out simple logistics?

that’s mind blowing

Spoke with Tesla today and they assured me that my car is in Belgium, awaiting transport to the UK this week, in time for delivery in the first or second week of December. Do these cars that are stuck in Belgium get driven across to the UK in Transporters? Any way of tracking movement of these, or is that wishful thinking?!

Spoke with Tesla today and they assured me that my car is in Belgium, awaiting transport to the UK this week, in time for delivery in the first or second week of December. Do these cars that are stuck in Belgium get driven across to the UK in Transporters? Any way of tracking movement of these, or is that wishful thinking?!

Was told the same thing by Tesla yesterday, there are a number of ships that move between the UK and Zee.

Why would they send over more ships to Europe ? The cars just sit in the ports and they can’t sort out delivery and logistics it would be a total non sense as they won’t be able to deliver them to costumers anyway, might as well send it somewhere where they can delivering it as well... (and I’m saying this that I’m in a position of waiting and would want my car as soon as possible, but even if it would be on the next ship won’t have it this year)

But I don’t know how did they managed to land all those rockets but can’t plan and sort out simple logistics?

that’s mind blowing

Hang on! Keep your hat on.
This hiccup only happened a couple of weeks ago and seems to have put a spanner in the works but up until then the logistics were working fine. Cars spent minimal time on the dock and were stacking up at the delivery centres rather than anywhere else. The logistics worked, it was an admin issue that probably caused the hiccup.

The RCC Europe may well turn out to be coming to Europe (it did the trip earlier this year in Feb) but I just don't get the sense of urgency from Tesla that was around last quarter.

I’ve had an email from my Lease company...

Tesla have advised your order is matched and on vessel Dong-A Glaucos 036, The vessels will land in the following order, to give you an idea of ETA - Cosmos, Neptune, Sirius, then Dong-A Glaucos. They have advised collection slots will be scheduled by 22nd Dec latest. We will be in touch with slots to offer soon.

that’s mind blowing
Think of a sausage machine that you can't stop. It keeps spitting out sausages no matter what (the sausages are Model 3 cars). So a constant stream of Model 3s is coming out of the factory, and they take up a lot of space, so you can't just park them somewhere. You also have these enormous ships that cost 10s of thousands of dollars per day to run, and are booked months if not years in advance. Just like there is no room to park 10s of thousands of cars in California, you have the same problem in Europe. You then also have the problem that you have to unload the cars from the ships in the reverse order to how they were loaded. And then to top that off, there are sure to be legalities about where these cars are allowed and/or not allowed to land for tax purposes. That's a lot of sausages that need to be kept in motion, so when a hiccough occurs (a couple of the ships were detained in the Caribbean for a few days), you can't expect everything to proceed as normal.

Reactions: pmg102
I’ve had an email from my Lease company...

Tesla have advised your order is matched and on vessel Dong-A Glaucos 036, The vessels will land in the following order, to give you an idea of ETA - Cosmos, Neptune, Sirius, then Dong-A Glaucos. They have advised collection slots will be scheduled by 22nd Dec latest. We will be in touch with slots to offer soon.

So if your car is on Dong and i dont have a VIN yet, this leads me to believe that i will definitely not get my car this year....

My theory is that they are prioritising orders with the price increase to maximize Q4 profits

Think of a sausage machine that you can't stop. It keeps spitting out sausages no matter what (the sausages are Model 3 cars). So a constant stream of Model 3s is coming out of the factory, and they take up a lot of space, so you can't just park them somewhere. You also have these enormous ships that cost 10s of thousands of dollars per day to run, and are booked months if not years in advance. Just like there is no room to park 10s of thousands of cars in California, you have the same problem in Europe. You then also have the problem that you have to unload the cars from the ships in the reverse order to how they were loaded. And then to top that off, there are sure to be legalities about where these cars are allowed and/or not allowed to land for tax purposes. That's a lot of sausages that need to be kept in motion, so when a hiccough occurs (a couple of the ships were detained in the Caribbean for a few days), you can't expect everything to proceed as normal.
I work in the shipping industry importing cars from all over the world so I know how all this works, doesn’t need explanation.
My point is that if there are many cars to be delivered you need to sort out something even if temporary to cope with the high demand, and deliver all those cars sitting in the ports and you would have many happy costumers not frustrated and pissed off people who even cancel orders because the long waiting time and all this circus which makes them look amateurs

Bad news for everybody who is waiting for SR+ models and doesn’t have a VIN assigned to the order yet, Tesla won’t ship SR+ in this year anymore so that means the only hope to get delivery this year is if somebody who has a car assigned already, changes or cancels the order. And this confirms my theory that they are prioritising LR and P models which have a higher profit margin to have better figures for the end of Q4, it looks like they are concentrating on $,£,€,¥ to be higher so the profit is higher not on the numbers of cars delivered

Bad news for everybody who is waiting for SR+ models and doesn’t have a VIN assigned to the order yet, Tesla won’t ship SR+ in this year anymore so that means the only hope to get delivery this year is if somebody who has a car assigned already, changes or cancels the order. And this confirms my theory that they are prioritising LR and P models which have a higher profit margin to have better figures for the end of Q4, it looks like they are concentrating on $,£,€,¥ to be higher so the profit is higher not on the numbers of cars delivered
What is your source please?

What is your source please?
As I’m waiting for one as well just rang Tesla if there is any update and I had a quite long conversation about this and the way the cars are assigned like it would be a lottery without taking into consideration when the order was placed and so on all the rest of the problems and I’ve been told that they are no SR+ models available anymore the very few they are all assigned to orders already and there are no SR+ shipments before January 2020 and even if an order is cancelled it’s just on luck if you get it assigned to your order but as I’ve been told that the whole assignment process is done automatically and randomly I wouldn’t have any hopes, more than likely somebody who just placed an order will get it.
Tesla’s way of handling the orders is beyond critics