Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Uk-bound Ships?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't understand why anyone would cancel, unless they are in desperate need of a new car. But I'll see if I agree with my statement two months from now ;)
I think it's the not entirely unreasonable assumption that a £50k car should come with some customer service and protesting that it doesn't.

I'm working on the assumption this is essentially still a Kickstarter phase and setting expectations appropriately. When I ordered a pebble watch through Kickstarter it was 12 to 18 months in coming and that was just a watch. For that my wife found an actual pebble and drew a watchface on it. At least she hasn't done anything like that for the Tesla... yet.

Damn early adopterness :-(

Or maybe not in desperate need of a new car?

The delays are pushing the Model 3 into timeframes where other options become visible. Potentially a further wait of 6 months or so will bring clarity to other options. 2 years ago when I reserved, options were very limited. A lot has changed in that 2 years and I believe as much again if not more will change in the next 6 months. Another six months wait on top of 2 years is not a huge wait. In 6 months, if status quo is maintained and no viable alternative, I’m not expecting much of a wait on a new or inventory order. And all the while I’m in the queue but no car, I can watch what happens at Frankfurt, V10 and charging network and still have the option to stick or twist.

For me it’s just an electric car with a range that will meet my requirements. I’m sure there will be more before long.

I think it's the not entirely unreasonable assumption that a £50k car should come with some customer service and protesting that it doesn't.

I'm working on the assumption this is essentially still a Kickstarter phase and setting expectations appropriately. When I ordered a pebble watch through Kickstarter it was 12 to 18 months in coming and that was just a watch. For that my wife found an actual pebble and drew a watchface on it. At least she hasn't done anything like that for the Tesla... yet.

Damn early adopterness :-(
Technically we’ve only paid £2k. And it’s not like we can walk into a showroom and get a Tesla anywhere else. These are being built to order, and are clearly very popular. Sure, they could certainly improve the delivery tracking, but I guess that along with shutting down some show stores they are saving money in the delivery department. In fact the West Drayton store has closed down now and everyone there has been moved next door to delivery. So let’s hope it eventually improves.

I sent an email on August 1st and still haven't had a response other than the automated reply.
I've sent two since then with no response.
Any other suggestions?

Only that if you do get a call ask them if you can have a direct email to contact them if any further queries/ issues. The person that called me from Heathrow today was a bit reluctant but did send me a direct email so I could contact him with any more concerns about the delivery (when/ if they reallocate me a date). Still doesn't help much until you get contact from the delivery centre though!

SFL Conductor clearing the Panama Canal at Gatun locks.
Screenshot 2019-08-14 at 18.55.15.png

Reactions: Roy W. and axw820
Technically we’ve only paid £2k. And it’s not like we can walk into a showroom and get a Tesla anywhere else. These are being built to order, and are clearly very popular. Sure, they could certainly improve the delivery tracking, but I guess that along with shutting down some show stores they are saving money in the delivery department. In fact the West Drayton store has closed down now and everyone there has been moved next door to delivery. So let’s hope it eventually improves.

I get the impression they are not being built to order in general, as there are so few option to add, like the Performance colour choice, seat colour, is about it, the cars are the same are they not? it is only software you choose, Hardware is fitted as standard.

It explains why some are waiting for longer they are waiting for more bulk orders of a certain type of car like white interior, tow bar etc.

Not built to order, otherwise they'd have fulfilled the orders more or less in a linear order with reservation holders first.

It's a really wierd way to do things, that works if you're trying to build up stock but not when you have 5k+ orders already, because it just ends up with some getting cars really quick and some waiting months.

I recieved an email this morning to say that I could pick up my Model 3 From the Heathrow show room at some point between 3rd and 10th September. An hour later I recievd a text saying that the delivery was confirmed for the 27th August! Asking me to confirm by replying YES. Unfortunately there was a problem - possibly with my phone not sure - the message couldn't be sent :mad: . Now on the phone 1 hour 20 and counting...

I reserved mine in late April this year.
I’ve had exactly the same problem today - I tried to reply YES to the delivery text but it repeatedly failed to send. It’s still sitting there trying to go now. I’m assuming they’re getting no replies, so I’ve decided to wait until they phone me.

UPDATE: Yep, I’m with smarty too and I didn’t have any credit for international texts! Sorted now.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Yev000
Not built to order, otherwise they'd have fulfilled the orders more or less in a linear order with reservation holders first.

It's a really wierd way to do things, that works if you're trying to build up stock but not when you have 5k+ orders already, because it just ends up with some getting cars really quick and some waiting months.
Ok build to order was probably not correct

Let's say I go for a lease car (but not through Tesla) and they give me a date and a vehicle reg etc. Say something happens and I don't turn up?
The lease company will own the car and start charging me from the date of my contract with them. Surely the car just sits there at Tesla for a few days until I arrive. If I was on holiday next week and they told me pick up was on Wednesday I would say "sure, I will be there. I am so excited" then arrive on Monday when my holiday was over. Looks to me like they want you to accept the delay.
Also surprised that they offer 7 day to give the car back if you don't like it. The EU distance selling regulations give you 14 days - you are basically buy something unseen off the internet!

There's a 14 day cool-off with lease companies (or at least there are for all the ones I know about) after you sign on the dotted line. After the 14 days they order the car.

Glovis cosmos just left SFO having for Panama...geez is this what my life has become!

Welcome to the club!
The Glovis Champion has now arrived at Zeebrugge and, as has already been pointed out, the Glovis Cosmos is now heading to the Panama Canal where its transit has now slipped to the 25th. On that basis it should now be expected at Zeebrugge around 6 Sep.
The SFL Conductor is now in the Caribbean and, despite it being the hurricane season, there is no weather of any concern in that area, or even in the Atlantic. It should arrive at Zeebrugge around the 26 Aug.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
I never thought i'd be tracking ships online to potentially find out when something might arrive...a first hahahaha.

Question about VIN numbers - does anyone know when these get sent to you? And thus when you recieve an estimated delivery date? Is it when the car goes in to build in the factory? When the car is loaded onto a ship? During transit? When it arrives in Euroe? I ordered a M3 Standard Plus (stock no modifications) on 9th August so wondering if it might be on any of the upcoming ships.

When you press that order button for a new Tesla you then become skilled over time in the following:

Code breaking
Data analysis
Patience
Understand HTML
Grinding (gaming jargon)
A new language (abbreviations and acronyms)
Shipping forecasts
deciphering VIN codes
Email bombing
Phone call waiting
Pros in man Mathematics
Experts in all types of wrapping and Ceramic finishes
Experts in all types of accessories for a car
Experts in all types of Car charging equipment
Plus lots lots more

The only type of certificate you get for completing the course is a Tesla!

I had a nightmare that, on her way out of Plymouth, Greta Thunberg would collide with Glovis Champion, that fear has subsided but now I'm worried about SFL Conductor.

Another tab on the browser, more vessels to track:

MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking Intelligence | AIS Marine Traffic

Thinking of turning the lounge into the operations centre and taking on some staff.