Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Uk-bound Ships?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These ships spend as little time in port as possible. This would suggest that they only picked up cars which would tally with an unscheduled visit to Philly to pick up our Tesla babies... Think this is a good sign... She arrived yesterday at just past 10pm so they have had 12 hrs +, more than enough time to load circa 500 cars. Let’s hope...

No evidence cars were being charged in Zeebrugge. Many delivered with what I would call storage SOC, ie pretty much as I would expect any lithium battery device to leave a factory for shipping and being stored.

Which begs the question. Can you turn off a Tesla completely for long term storage?

No evidence cars were being charged in Zeebrugge. Many delivered with what I would call storage SOC, ie pretty much as I would expect any lithium battery device to leave a factory for shipping and being stored.

Which begs the question. Can you turn off a Tesla completely for long term storage?
If you pulled the plug on the 400V battery then it may be possible not sure what long term affect it may cause. There are many chargers at Zeebrugge so the cars probably get a boost after being unloaded and before being put on a truck

Ok - I’ve been following this Philly story for quite a while now as this thread testifies! Ha!

Anyway - quite a few assumptions being made here. I wouldn’t take as gospel that UK delivery would know categorically whether this is going to Zeebrugge first (it may be, but wouldn’t be sure they’d know)

I’d sit tight and wait and see where the destination is registered as and then take it from there.

There’s a few firsts here that may mean a different approach. Never used Hoegh before, never used Philly, so I’d suspend most assumptions from now.

As for the October delivery dates Tesla UK have been giving out...again, I’d be surprised. My hunch is that most of these will be delivered in Q3, otherwise why bother ?

Last edited:
As for the October delivery dates Tesla UK have been giving out...again, I’d be surprised. My hunch is that most of these will be delivered in Q3, otherwise why bother ?

Haven't Tesla been trying to smooth out the deliveries over the quarter rather than having a mad rush to get cars delivered in the last month? As production ramps up (7k-10k cars per week) I'd expect to see things smooth out a little

Can you turn off a Tesla completely for long term storage?

Jeff Dahn has previously stated that storing Lithium cells at midpoint SoC for the longterm is best for the battery if it is being stored. Obviously there will be some power drawn from the car if it can't be totally powered down. Personally I would periodically charge at a low rate with the aim of keeping it on a middle ground SoC. Remembering that charging at a low rate is inefficient in the longterm as the car is in a wake state and it's like filing up a bucket with hole in it teaspoon at a time, as such a trickle charger as used by people over-wintering their motorbikes etc is not a great choice for EVs.

I also don't fully understand what happens to the 12V battery whilst the car isn't being used. I am wanting to test this with a clamp meter, however that would require me to be in possession of my car....

There is a 'Transport Mode'

Be cautious, AFAIK transport mode is to enable the car to be moved without power, if you're storing your car on a hill you may find it rolls away :eek:

First Responders | Tesla UK

Nuclear options below ;)

Crashing into a tree or similar should cause the pyrofuse to activate PYROTECHNIC DISCONNECT WITH ARC SPLITTER PLATES - Tesla Motors, Inc. , or, double cutting the HV loop..