Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Trend live at Gigafactory with Model 3 today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are a couple of images that were not included in the Motor Trend article! These are screenshots that include a beauty pic of the car and a really nice shot showcasing the roof and all of its glory. And FINALLY, For all you parents out there, here's a screenshot of an a baby carrier holder in a Model 3.

Thanks,

-Mitch
I love that top view. From this angle, the nose and tail are much rounder than they seem from the side shots. Also, the three sections of glass are clearly delineated and the top section (which apparently can be metal, fixed glass or panorama) is quite small. I'd hate to break up that beautiful continuous expanse of glass with a patch of metal, so I'm hoping the solid glass roof is standard.

I love that top view. From this angle, the nose and tail are much rounder than they seem from the side shots. Also, the three sections of glass are clearly delineated and the top section (which apparently can be metal, fixed glass or panorama) is quite small. I'd hate to break up that beautiful continuous expanse of glass with a patch of metal, so I'm hoping the solid glass roof is standard.
LOL. I essentially just said the same thing in the Model 3 Dimensions thread.

I'd really hope that, given it's such a small piece, if metal is standard and fixed glass is an upcharge, it will be a minor cost ($100-$250). I agree that the all-glass is gorgeous, and I don't need it to open, but if it's a $1000 for all glass I'm going to be bummed.

Shouldn't be a surprise given Fraz used to be the head of design for Mazda (and most of the Mazdas today still follow similar styling).

Thanks Captian Obvious.

Von Holzhausen began his professional design career in 1992, assisting design on the VW Concept One (the “New Beetle” of the 90s).

He then worked for GM for five years before going to Mazda in 2005. There, Von Holzhausen designed the Mazda Kabura, a well-received sporty concept car.

Going even farther back, Von Holzhausen attended Syracuse University for two years before transferring to the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena (notable alumni include movie director Michael Bay of the “Transformers” franchise and Chris Bangle, former chief of design at BMW). He has a Bachelor’s in Transportation Design.

Does anybody want to guess (A) if this is a regulation width sidewalk and (B) what the regulation width of a sidewalk is in Sparks, NV?

Tesla-Model-3-rear-side-view.jpg

http://www.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2016/04/Tesla-Model-3-rear-side-view.jpg

My wife sent me a link to the Motor Trend article. These are my responses to her as I went through the article and the videos.

I kind of ******* hate motortrend.
"we iPhoned Tesla's PR department,"
an ad for their Snapchat in the middle of the picture slideshow as one of their pictures
pictures of other people taking pictures
"the interior could dramatically by the time,"
"The gigafactory is currently is only"
And this is seriously a sentence they put in the article: "Currently, the cells partners including Panasonic."

Pretty horribly written and executed in my opinion.

And their little teaser video said they were going to a secret location...but the gigafactory is hardly a secret location.
All they did in the teaser video was beg you to follow them on Facebook and snapchat.

Literally no information. They said it looks better in person and in the light.
******* amateurs.

Maybe I was being a little harsh, but it was not as good as it could/should have been.

Mostly it was the writing that was horrible.

Most interesting thing I noticed was how the side view mirrors attached. They are part of the trim between the window and door panel...if they get the legal ability to remove the mirrors, the design work is already taking that into account.

View from gigafactory roof was interesting

I'd rather have 17" wheels. Tires are cheaper and there are more options usually at more mainstream tire sizes.
That is how I feel. Most people are not aware of just how much weight big rims can add. Every extra pound of reciprocating weight is equivalent to adding 7 lbs to the curb weight of the vehicle. This affects just about everything from braking distance, acceleration, handling, and what affects that will affect fuel economy. Our roads are also horrendous and super low profile tires will cause the vehicle to ride bad and the rim to be very susceptible to damage. If they are cast aluminum rims, they are usually not repairable although there are some companies who claim to be able to do so. Forged aluminum is repairable, but forged aluminum rims are usually VERY expensive.

Reactions: ZAKEEUS
The Tesla M3 is one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen in its class ever. It's not perfect as I think the rear tail lights are a bit wide or you could say fat. However considering the rest is soo beautiful it does not matter too much. For people not happy with the design there a alternatives EV's like GM Bolt or Nissan Leaf or Mitsubishi ImiEV.

My understanding is that the portion of the Gigafactory they currently have under construction is only 1/10 of the final factory. They will build further modules as need arises. Perhaps the Gigafactory 1 title is in reference to this being the first of 10 modules to the site.

Dan
The current Gigafactory building that you see is only about 1/8 of the eventual building. It will be the world's largest building by foot print and world's 2nd largest building by volume when everything is done by 2019.

The Giga ...as I understand is (only,just) an assembly point today. Panasonic batteries are shipped in and packaged into Powerwalls. No ore processing, no battery manufacturing, no car battery pans. Thats today...but in a few (days,months,years) things will be different. I was so hoping to get a glimpse of where they are in this ramp up stage. The snow roof just was not enough for me.

Does Nevada get snow? If so, will the weight of the snow cause the GF roof to collapse?
The Motor Trend photo shoot went to the roof top of the 1/8 finished Giga factory building and were blinded by the reflection off the white roof. They called it a salt flat, or snow field. I found a video of a snow white roof not very exciting. The size of the place is amazing, but one can look at a salt flat for only so long before needing something more compelling.
Yes, Nevada gets snow. If you watch the video of the construction progress on the GF, there are some seasons where there was snow on the ground. Roofs are designed to carry a snow load. As long as the building was designed by competent engineers and built by competent construction companies and inspected by informed inspectors the snow load should not be a problem with the GF or other buildings in Reno or the US.

Reactions: weak_pig
Thanks Captian Obvious.

Von Holzhausen began his professional design career in 1992, assisting design on the VW Concept One (the “New Beetle” of the 90s).

He then worked for GM for five years before going to Mazda in 2005. There, Von Holzhausen designed the Mazda Kabura, a well-received sporty concept car.

Going even farther back, Von Holzhausen attended Syracuse University for two years before transferring to the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena (notable alumni include movie director Michael Bay of the “Transformers” franchise and Chris Bangle, former chief of design at BMW). He has a Bachelor’s in Transportation Design.

My father is an Art Center alum, though he graduated before they moved to Pasadena. I think he graduated in 1947 if I remember correctly, it may have been 46. The place didn't have the rep it has now.

Does Nevada get snow? If so, will the weight of the snow cause the GF roof to collapse?

I'm sure it's capable of holding up to whatever Nevada winters throw at it. They get snow, but heavy snow is rare. This last winter had a record snow fall:
Reno, Nevada plastered by freak heavy snow event

The Lake Tahoe area, which is not that far away, has a ski resort. Reno and Sparks are at lower altitude and get a lot less snow though.