Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MountainPass

Global Vendor
Mar 2, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Listings
Hey TMC! We took a few days to collect our thoughts, shake off the jet lag and post some photos and videos for you all to see. Participating in Tesla Corsa 4 and Refuel at Laguna Seca was some of the best times we've had behind the wheel.

Tesla-Corsa-Trophies.jpg

We had a ton of fun and got to meet many of our customers in person. They were all awesome. We were limited in what tools we could bring since we flew in. These guys went out of their way to lend us jacks, tools and even food and drink to get us through the event. We simply couldn't have done it without them, so we just wanted to say we love you guys. We are also super proud of Craig and Danny for grabbing 2nd and 3rd place in both events for a Team MPP clean sweep of the podiums.

Thanks to SpeedVentures and Tesla Corsa for putting on great events!

Here is the write-up, so check it out and let us know what you think:

MPP Visits Laguna Seca and Has a Record-Setting Party

Congratulations! Thanks for the behind the scenes info. I was watching the times on the RaceHero app and couldn't figure out why the times dropped off so much after the record setting lap. Wish I could have been there - hope to see you out at a future event!

I just watched the lap record youtube video. You were always full regen though the apex, then slam the throttle from halfway of the turn out, keep turning for a while under full throttle and all the way until the next braking point. How was your feeling? Is that only possible when using racing slick tires?

In Tesla Corsa 3 Randy Phobst’s instruction was to gently roll on the throttle, compensate the regen at the apex, still smoothly add throttle during the turn out. Only floor it until you are on the straight. Seems there are two different style of driving skills?

Last edited:
Power down was like an arcade game in easy mode. The track mode tuning is setup such that if you turn the wheel more, the car will simply reduce power rather than letting you run wide off track. So it was a balancing game of flooring it – and then trying to open the steering wheel as much as possible to unlock full power.
Just noticed that in your blog.
Do you really recommend intermediate driver to floor it and left things taken care of by track mode?

And for the dash kit, what a brilliant idea! My only request is to let us view the power/regen of front and rear motor separately, so we can better know the situation of the car. Display a circle of G force will be helpful to know how much traction we have used. Also a display of four wheel’s brake temperature will bring us peace of mind.

Just noticed that in your blog.
Do you really recommend intermediate driver to floor it and left things taken care of by track mode?
I think this is a matter of perspective. Professionals that regularly drive without any traction control are used to finely modulating throttle inputs. As Sasha states, having Tesla's Track Mode makes this process much easier in comparison. But, looking at the accelerator data graph during the lap you can see that, while he does get to full throttle quickly, there is still some fine modulation taking place that is likely second nature. Those of us with less experience still need to be aware that going to full throttle too quickly at the wrong time can end badly.

Last edited:
Reactions: SammichLover
I think this is a matter of perspective. Professionals that regularly drive without any traction control are used to finely modulating throttle inputs. As Sasha states, having Tesla's Track Mode makes this process much easier in comparison. But, looking at the accelerator data graph during the lap you can see that, while he does get to full throttle quickly, there is still some fine modulation taking place that is likely second nature. Those of us with less experience still need to be aware that going to full throttle too quickly at the wrong time can end badly.
I did notice that when OP slam the throttle the steering wheel is no more than 50% of the turning angle at apex. And when the wheels are not straight the battery power is limited (270~290 compared to 300+ on straight). That seems a good reference point.

Still curious to know where is the limit of track mode. If someone slam it right at the apex and the tires are at limit would the power be close to zero?

Impressive results!
At least it will be easy for you to set a new record at next years Refuel event.
Any more details and/or pictures of the lower control arm bolts loosening?
What record was broken? The record for a Tesla?
Fastest Laguna Seca lap time for a production car based EV. They ran 1:37.55. That's very fast, in between Randy Pobst's Porsche Cayman GT4 and BMW M4 GTS times, though both of those were on "street" tires.

It was a great time. Ended up burning thru a set and half or rear pads over the course of three days. On the way home I had to swap pads(it was metal on metal) at the supercharger in Salinas, got plenty of funny stares.

Can't wait to get back out there going to get into the 1.42s next time, I was so close with a 1.43.1.
close but no cigar.

I need new tires and will be buying some unplugged rear pads to help with issues I was having. Also hoping to see MPP front camber kit coming out soon. I think it will save front tires and make the car handle better.

Special thnx to @mcbarnet007 for going to my house and picking up my extra set pads. He is my hero.

Last edited:
Reactions: beastmode13
It was a great time. Ended up burning thru a set and half or rear pads over the course of three days. On the way home I had to swap pads(it was metal on metal) at the supercharger in Salinas, got plenty of funny stares.

Can't wait to get back out there going to get into the 1.42s next time, I was so close with a 1.43.1.
close but no cigar.

I need new tires and will be buying some unplugged rear pads to help with issues I was having. Also hoping to see MPP front camber kit coming out soon. I think it will save front tires and make the car handle better.

Special thnx to @mcbennet for going to my house and picking up my extra set pads. He is my hero.

It was great meeting you @Lucky13. My goal is to stay within 3sec of your time. :D