TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Vendor MPP At Global Time Attack Superlap With A P3D! Nov 8/9

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by MountainPass, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Well-Known Member

Maximum allowed tire width in the class is 255 and only one aerodynamic element is allowed per end. So, either a diffuser, wing, or ducktail. Too bad they don’t allow heavier cars to have wider tires. Also wondering if there is a better 220TW tire than the 300TW PS4S (which make some compromises for comfort and efficiency).
    I see that the winning time for the RWD class was 1:56.2 so I wouldn’t count on 1:59 holding up as the fastest time at this event in the future. The record AWD time is only 1 second slower than RWD (I guess that was with the old tire rules).

2. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

3. Daniel in SD

The spacer is probably to clear the suspension. The PUP rotor hats are 5mm thinner so they require 5mm spacers to have the same fitment as the standard brakes.

4. JeffC

JeffC Member

Thanks! I guess Cameron's Long Range Model 3 was also Blue. Tricked me! :)

5. Rubicon Beast

Rubicon Beast Member

Lots of people are painting their calipers red to look like the P3D+.
    In this case, he got Track Mode, so you know he’s the real thing.

6. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

Also the 2 minute time. I would be super impressed if the RWD car could do that.

7. MountainPass

MountainPass Vendor

A proper wing would balance the car perfectly. The rules of the class mean you have to choose between a diffuser or a wing, but not both. We would be interested to see which has a better tradeoff of drag vs. downforce.

8. MountainPass

MountainPass Vendor

Cameron used a grinder to remove some material off his rear calipers to clear the 18" wheels, then touched it up with red paint.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. mrrross

mrrross Member

Hey great job and congrats on a good outing. I think you've all made a great impression and handled the situation well.

• Like x 1
  10. mcbarnet007

mcbarnet007 Member

That's interesting, I ran a set of same spec wheels without any need to modify. Do you know where the rear caliper was touching?

11. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

Well done! :cool:

• Like x 1
  12. JeffC

JeffC Member

#92 JeffC, Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    A tall wing would operate in the cleanest air but long struts and the endplates would add some drag. A diffuser might be lower drag but lower downforce also. If so, a wing might work better at slower tracks and a diffuser at faster tracks. Raise the corner speeds without too much high speed drag.

How large can the diffuser be? :)

Given how clean the airflow is around Model 3, might be able to use a less tall wing relatively near the trunk lid.

• Like x 1
  13. dhu1

dhu1 Member

Do you have better pictures of the rear spoiler and the front splitter? Would love to get a better look at those.

14. awedio_femi

awedio_femi Member

This is the problem with the f'ing chicken *sugar* society we live in today...:(:rolleyes:o_O
    You get beat by better competition, accept your whoopin' like a real man & come back better prepped for next time.
    But no, you'd rather protest & get them DQ'd

Big ups to @MountainPass and @Odiemac for whooping ass on that coward...:cool::p:D

• Like x 6
  15. sreams

sreams Member

The performance brakes also have much larger rotors and look different. So even without a color difference, it's easy to tell.

16. Odiemac

Odiemac Member

The RWD cars are allowed 285 tires all around, so maybe a super lightweight LR car with fender flares would be the hot setup ;)

17. Daniel in SD

Like the BRZ that won the RWD class? :D It was probably running similar power to the STIs.

• Like x 1
  18. ShaunRF

ShaunRF Member

Good stuff Sasha and Cameron. I couldn't resist arguing with some trolls in the comments of the video claiming they weren't impressed with the lap times. They tried to cite a stock Civic Type R rolling on RE71r's running a 1:57 at that track, but I had to point out that the RE's are much stickier than the 300TW PS4S and that stock F8x BMW M3's seem to run around 2:03 there. Those times are very good considering how close to stock the Tesla is and the daily driven tires.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  19. JeffC

JeffC Member

@MountainPass's testing at his home track seemed to indicate that traction at the front was the most lacking due to insufficient camber (and a lack of camber adjustment). Lacking camber adjustment he put wide tires up front and seemed to have better results. Due to the relatively balanced chassis on Model 3, wide rears and narrow fronts may not be as much of an advantage as on other cars and may understeer a lot. YMMV. :)

20. mobilesuit818

mobilesuit818 Member

L to the [email protected]#[email protected] A
    I know this has been mentioned a lot but I would totally invest into my RWD if there was a track mode with traction control disabled.

Just waiting patiently....

• Like x 5