Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud flaps & Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These Chinese-sourced mud flaps are all pretty much alike. I preferred the Basenor because of the extra attachment clip - the attachment is much more sturdy that the product from RPM for example.
But how much more can the rear flaps really help? I keep reading that they’re useless because most of the concern is towards the middle of the vehicle, not the rear.

The clips are awesome and make them a lot more solid. The MY LR seems to be a bit rearward biased with power given the tire wear some have mentioned here (i.e. the rears wear faster and it doesn't have a different motor that is rated for more power). If I extend that out a bit, that means if more power is given to the rears, they likely can kick up more crap when accelerating hard.

So I took it to a sandy parking lot near a beach and gave it a little burst. I left the traction control in its normal mode. There was more sand on the rear mud flaps than the front in my little experiment so I am leaving them. There is a ton of sand where I live and they use it in sandblasters for a reason, hence the name. I put the fronts on first and it looked weird to me until I put on the rears. So from an aesthetics perspective I liked the symmetry better having them front and rear. Just on the front, it reminded me of an old Saab I had with basically rally mudflaps for the FWD powertrain.

I did the Carwiner ones from Amazon and I'm very happy with them. I think they were less than $31 shipped after a coupon. They fit well and went on very easily.

Reactions: cancoi
The clips are awesome and make them a lot more solid. The MY LR seems to be a bit rearward biased with power given the tire wear some have mentioned here (i.e. the rears wear faster and it doesn't have a different motor that is rated for more power). If I extend that out a bit, that means if more power is given to the rears, they likely can kick up more crap when accelerating hard.

So I took it to a sandy parking lot near a beach and gave it a little burst. I left the traction control in its normal mode. There was more sand on the rear mud flaps than the front in my little experiment so I am leaving them. There is a ton of sand where I live and they use it in sandblasters for a reason, hence the name. I put the fronts on first and it looked weird to me until I put on the rears. So from an aesthetics perspective I liked the symmetry better having them front and rear. Just on the front, it reminded me of an old Saab I had with basically rally mudflaps for the FWD powertrain.

I did the Carwiner ones from Amazon and I'm very happy with them. I think they were less than $31 shipped after a coupon. They fit well and went on very easily.
I prefer Rally Armor over these that you speak of. They at least block a lot more then these mud flaps do purely on design. These don’t seem like they would block a lot from still being blown past them and on to the vehicle.

Rally Armor are overkill for where I live and drive most of the time. I had something similar to those on my Audi when I lived in MPLS and had to deal with a lot of snow and crappy roads. If I still lived there I would probably PPF the entire car. As big as the RA ones are, you might even notice an efficiency hit. ;)

Just like tires and wheels, you need to choose your mudflaps according to where you live and how you drive.

Rally Armor are overkill for where I live and drive most of the time. I had something similar to those on my Audi when I lived in MPLS and had to deal with a lot of snow and crappy roads. If I still lived there I would probably PPF the entire car. As big as the RA ones are, you might even notice an efficiency hit. ;)

Just like tires and wheels, you need to choose your mudflaps according to where you live and how you drive.
I’m in SE WI so I’m faced with ice, snow and salt. I just don’t think the Tesla flaps in the front and rear ppf in the high impact area would be enough. That’s why I was thinking of going with Rally Armor. Good idea?

Where you live, heck yea. I used to drive from MPLS to MKE every week for work for about 18 months. Boy did the roads suck and all that salt and slush just destroy a car. I remember there was always a salt haze on my car after that crap dried. I didn't car how ugly my mudflaps were as long as it kept my car clean.

The monstrous ones I had on my WRX though I took off in the summer, they were just a bit too big to leave on when the weather wasn't bad. The flat ones are don't collect ice as much as the ones with curves, nooks and crannies. Just a quick kick and the crap falls off.

Where you live, heck yea. I used to drive from MPLS to MKE every week for work for about 18 months. Boy did the roads suck and all that salt and slush just destroy a car. I remember there was always a salt haze on my car after that crap dried. I didn't car how ugly my mudflaps were as long as it kept my car clean.

The monstrous ones I had on my WRX though I took off in the summer, they were just a bit too big to leave on when the weather wasn't bad. The flat ones are don't collect ice as much as the ones with curves, nooks and crannies. Just a quick kick and the crap falls off.
I’m your opinion will Tesla’s front flaps and rear ppf that they sell do absolutely nothing to protect the vehicle as much as Rally Armor would? I agree that RA are huge and obnoxious looking and that’s why I’m trying to think about which way to go here. Whatever I put on I would like to leave it on vs removing them in the summer. I will say that I will remove their logo with mail polish or whatever works.

I know your weather all to well. The RAs are ugly as sin but they work. They aren't hard to remove and there is no way I'd rock them in the summer. Well maybe if I lifted my MY and gave it an overlander look. Then it might work pretty nicely. It took me 20 minutes to put on my mudflaps. It would have been faster but it was about 90F and 90% humidity and I spent half the time keeping the sweat out of my eyes and swatting mosquitos.

My point is it isn't that hard to do remove. I think there isn't a good solution that I've seen yet that will give you the protection you need without the attendant fugliness. Though you might be able to take something like the Carwiners I bought and add a bit more flap OR cut down the RAs a bit.

Reactions: 1plavs
I know your weather all to well. The RAs are ugly as sin but they work. They aren't hard to remove and there is no way I'd rock them in the summer. Well maybe if I lifted my MY and gave it an overlander look. Then it might work pretty nicely. It took me 20 minutes to put on my mudflaps. It would have been faster but it was about 90F and 90% humidity and I spent half the time keeping the sweat out of my eyes and swatting mosquitos.

My point is it isn't that hard to do remove. I think there isn't a good solution that I've seen yet that will give you the protection you need without the attendant fugliness. Though you might be able to take something like the Carwiners I bought and add a bit more flap OR cut down the RAs a bit.
Sounds like I’ll be taking them off in Summer lol. In your opinion are these the best for MKE winters all and all? Why not go the route of Tesla flaps in front only and rear ppf that they sell vs the RA’s?

I am not sure the Tesla ones offer enough up front. Also keep in mind, PPF isn't indestructible. Pretty common knowledge too that Tesla's paint isn't the best. The LR has most of its power in the rear motor. I would go for protection vs looks in the winter. That is just me. I hated MPLS winters and don't miss them nowl

These might be an interesting option.

Here is a 24 page thread of mudflaps that might have better options.

Reactions: 1plavs
I am not sure the Tesla ones offer enough up front. Also keep in mind, PPF isn't indestructible. Pretty common knowledge too that Tesla's paint isn't the best. The LR has most of its power in the rear motor. I would go for protection vs looks in the winter. That is just me. I hated MPLS winters and don't miss them nowl

These might be an interesting option.

Here is a 24 page thread of mudflaps that might have better options.
True about the Tesla flaps. I saw a thread where the Tesla flaps were compared to the RA’s and it’s not even close as the RA’s just cover so much more. Based on the fact that you know my weather you feel having no protection in summer will not yield any long term issues on the side of the vehicle?

Btw, at 1,500 miles my front bumper has about 4-5 permanent chips as the paint is so soft. I can’t imagine what it would look like after a WI winter. What would you recommend for that area? I read that many are not adding ppf (as you stated above) and that they will just repaint that area when needed or when the times comes. I don’t mind doing that as long as the paint matches the rest of the vehicle as best as possible.

I want to use mud flaps in winter only. Are OEM mud flaps easy to uninstall/reinstall? Or is 3rd party a better option?
The Tesla mud flaps (Tesla only sells front mud flaps for the Model Y) are held by two plastic automotive retainer clips in each mudflap. These clips are slightly longer than the clips they replace in the same holes of the wheel well liner. I don't believe the clips are designed to be reused. If you can locate a source of the longer clips there is no reason you could not remove the Tesla mud flaps for later use.

The clips look like the ones in this photo, bottom row, left, first two clips. Perhaps someone knows the exact size.

Amazon.com: GOOACC GRC-30 120PCS Car Retainer 6.3mm 8mm 9mm 10mm Expansion Screws Replacement Kit Bumper Push Rivet Clips, 1PC Fastener Remover: Automotive

Reactions: boulder.dude
The Tesla mud flaps (Tesla only sells front mud flaps for the Model Y) are held by two plastic automotive retainer clips in each mudflap. These clips are slightly longer than the clips they replace in the same holes of the wheel well liner. I don't believe the clips are designed to be reused. If you can locate a source of the longer clips there is no reason you could not remove the Tesla mud flaps for later use.

The clips look like the ones in this photo, bottom row, left, first two clips. Perhaps someone knows the exact size.

Amazon.com: GOOACC GRC-30 120PCS Car Retainer 6.3mm 8mm 9mm 10mm Expansion Screws Replacement Kit Bumper Push Rivet Clips, 1PC Fastener Remover: Automotive
Problem is the Tesla flaps do not protect the side of the vehicle nearly as much as the Rally Armor flaps do.

Even with the RA mud flaps the sides of the vehicle can get coated with spray from other vehicles. Only when "she's coming around the mountain" and no other vehicles are in the adjacent lane or coming from the opposite direction then the sides of your vehicle may stay clean of road debris. Otherwise it is almost impossible to keep the sides of the vehicle clean, especially the driver's side.

Even with the RA mud flaps the sides of the vehicle can get coated with spray from other vehicles. Only when "she's coming around the mountain" and no other vehicles are in the adjacent lane or coming from the opposite direction then the sides of your vehicle may stay clean of road debris. Otherwise it is almost impossible to keep the sides of the vehicle clean, especially the driver's side.
What about the rear? I’m not sure about you, but here in WI when you drive in ice and snow that kicks up towards the rear panels and it gets caked on. Also, I just feel that front flaps look weird on their own.