Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multi-Pattern Black Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm happy nobody here is complaining about the seat comfort. Over in another Tesla S thread, people are ranting about the lack of seat comfort on their S. Most seemed to feel the older seats were more comfortable. It was depressing to read. :(

I have textile seats on my 2014 and I was perfectly happy. I just got a loaner with the new vegan leather. These new seats are the first ones where I would honestly pay for the upgrade. I didn't "love" the old next gen leather seats but the story is different now. Try the new vegan leather seats out if you haven't.

Actually, multi patterned seats with premium package still got cloth headliner in Q2 2017. VIN 198XXX. Only the dash was partially Alcantara, until they cancelled that sometime in Q3. Only way to get Alcantara headliner is with premium seats.

Yes, I'm getting VIN205xxx car, which has newest MP seats and alcantara headliner (explicitly mentioned on spec sheet). PUP included, and it is the older PUP without SZ and ultra hifi (will go for Light Harmonic).

Originally I wanted leather, but after reviewing owner feedback and some photos, can't justify extra cost. I had a black vegan premium car for over night test drive. It was ok, but compared to my _old_ A8, vegan leather is just a bit less soft and organic. I would have liked other than black colour just for a change, but it is what it is. I hope they bring more textile colours, even if for extra fee.

I haven't seen MP seats in person, so I may change my view by the end of next week, but I doubt it.

There's been a lot of back and forth on this in the past here, there was some consensus that leather was more desired in the USA than everywhere else, but most found the original real leather seats didn't wear so well, so folks like me with a budget chose other upgrades instead.

Remember also you can always cover, reupholster, or outright replace car seats, not that I'm thinking I'll ever need to with my textile seats. They're very comfortable and supportive as well as being easy to keep clean, as everyone is reporting.

As for looking high class or low rent, I started out self conscious with them (there is a bit of "leather stigma" here in Toronto too) but quickly realized that "it's a Tesla" outweighs the seat material. I even saw them in a Hollywood movie recently.

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop and Ken7
Remember also you can always cover, reupholster, or outright replace car seats, not that I'm thinking I'll ever need to with my textile seats. They're very comfortable and supportive as well as being easy to keep clean, as everyone is reporting.

Yeah this is very comforting to know. I swapped my 75D for a 90D (couldn't pass on the amazing deal), but it will come with multi-patterns. I'll see how it goes with some time. Worst case it could be reupholstered/"converted" to leather.

I got the multi patterns and generally like them. After having many cars with leather and than leasing an i3 with wool seats, I didn't want go back to leather as I find it way too hot and sticky in the summer. I do wish the multi was available in a color other than black.
I also find the seats comfortable.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lex and Bebop
Update after owning MP seats for 2 weeks: this is the best option, even if price is not considered. Textile is comfortable, good quality and looks nice close up in real life. Same was commented by some passengers who know nothing about Tesla options.

I just picked up my new 2017 with MP seats. I am happy with the design, functionality and comfort. They do not look or feel cheap. The benefits in cold and hot weather outweigh leather in my opinion (having owned leather in the past to compare too) also the heated seats in the MP seem to come thru quicker.

Reactions: Lex
Hello, newbie here.
I couldn't see the MPS seats in the showroom as they only have the latest Vegan leather in the showroom cars. They definitely look much better than the older version of the seats.
However, leather seats are good mainly for ease of cleaning. Basic liquid spills come off easily with leather, but the cloth part of this multi pattern seats won't be as easy to clean as a leather like surface, right?

Yes, correct. I think the textile feels like slightly repellant to water, but I hope to never find out. I even bought some nano textile treatment stuff, but the seats likely have a stock treatment, which I don't want to mess with. 20 years without spills, fingers crossed.

Textile may be more resistant to other kind of wear and tear, but none has an old vegan seat yet.

With real leather, wrinkling is a feature of the material, regardless of manufacturer.

Reactions: Ken7
I test drove the MPB seats, and they were surprising. I had only considered V-Leather before that.

they seemed "plastic" like, but then again so do leather seats...

The fibers seemed course.

Of course, this was on one test drive, and I was concentrating on other things.
I need to go back and take a 2nd look.

WRT the headliner - I have no idea what Alcantara (or whatever it's called) really is. How does that compare to cloth?

Thanks.

I test drove the MPB seats, and they were surprising. I had only considered V-Leather before that.

they seemed "plastic" like, but then again so do leather seats...

The fibers seemed course.

Of course, this was on one test drive, and I was concentrating on other things.
I need to go back and take a 2nd look.

WRT the headliner - I have no idea what Alcantara (or whatever it's called) really is. How does that compare to cloth?

Thanks.

My MS has MPB seats and I am currently in a MS loaner that has the leather seats. I think I still prefer the MPB seats in terms of comfort. The fibers don't feel too coarse to me and they're comfortable.

The Alcantara on the dash is no longer in any Model S's - even if you have the premium interior.

Reactions: Ken7
Yeah I kind of take back what I said earlier. They do look pretty good actually now that I took delivery of my car. It’s the first gen MP seats that look bad. But MP current gen seats and new back seats look great and feel great too. Not too shabby actually...

Reactions: BinaryField
Yes, correct. I think the textile feels like slightly repellant to water, but I hope to never find out. I even bought some nano textile treatment stuff, but the seats likely have a stock treatment, which I don't want to mess with. 20 years without spills, fingers crossed.

Textile may be more resistant to other kind of wear and tear, but none has an old vegan seat yet.

With real leather, wrinkling is a feature of the material, regardless of manufacturer.
That's what drives me nuts about all the cars I've had with leather. IMO, nothing makes the interior of a car look more 'worn', than the inevitable wrinkling that occurs.

Thus far I've been very happy with the MPB seats, both aesthetically & functionally. We got a compliment from a couple we had in the back this past weekend. They were very impressed with the look and feel of the seats. In no way do they look 'cheap'. I actually like the look better than the leather seats.

I have a 2017 MS with MP cloth seats. I really dislike leather seats, so cloth feels a lot better to me. However, I find either seat to lack support in two places: rear of the bottom cushion and shoulder area.

I recently had a loaner Chrysler 300 while my MS was serviced. Those are some truly uncomfortable and unsupportive seats -- I was amazed when I got back into my MS just how good the MP seats in the MS are in comparison.

However, when I sit in my other car, a BMW 5er (E60) with the sport/comfort seat option, there is no question that Tesla seats are not nearly as comfortable, especially on long trips. Good thing I have to stop every 2-3 hours to supercharge. My wife has back problems from an accident two years ago and she always complains how the Tesla seats offer very little shoulder support and cause pain in her back after about 2 hours of sitting.

The black MP seats are EXTREMELY stain resistant. I have over 17k miles of FAMILY use and the seats look brand new.

Reactions: PrGrPa
I’ve had similar cloth + ‘leather’ seats in a MB in a dark grey/black pattern . Stain-wise they clean fine. Though of course they need drying time. Mine do show rain watermarks thanks to the amazing weather here. However, from memory the Tesla multi pattern seats are darker and less likely to show such rain marks. When I saw an X with multi-pattern seats when I was finally making up my mind it looked fine.

I opted for the basic multi-pattern interior on my model S. Mainly cost (£3,100 extra for ‘leather’). But also while leather seats seem to go with fancy cars we’ve always preferred cloth ones. Plus if I’d gone for the black ‘leather’ it would have changed the wood finish to a light wood and then I’d had to have paid more to return it to black with the £250 carbon fibre option. And then there’d be the back seat complaints of ‘the seats are cold, why didn’t you get the heated rear seats’. That’s a different thread though.

I recall at a motor museum getting the tale that way back in the day the chauffeur had a leather seat but the driven had cloth seats. The driver had a leather seat because they were more exposed to the elements in some old car designs and their seat needed to be harder-wearing than that of the gentry in the back.