Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk: cabin-facing camera meant for robotaxis but open to other options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
"Elon Musk confirmed that Tesla’s cabin-facing camera in the Model 3 is still inactive and that it is “meant for use in upcoming robotaxi”. However, the CEO seems to be open to other fun ways to use the camera."
Elon Musk: Tesla's cabin-facing camera is 'meant for robotaxi', but open to other options - Electrek

Please Elon! Not caraoke! Use the cabin-facing camera for a driver attention system to supplement or replace the "hold the wheel" nags.

I don't think the camera is capable of use for that- IIRC Caddy has a much more advanced camera system to manage that type of function

meh
If I was a member of the tinfoil hat brigade I wouldn't be driving a Tesla ;)

I have mislaid the folder, but at one point I had collected photos of:
- Mark Zuckerberg at work
- a Deputy Director of the NSA testifying in Congressional committee
- an Associate Director of the CIA testifying in Congressional committee
all with tape over their laptop cameras.

The tinfoil hat brigade has many members. Join Us.

CHO_FOIL_FINAL_20140716_Stereo_1.gif

Last edited:
I'm wondering if they will start to use it for AP activation like some of the competitor systems

What Musk isn't saying is that the other potential use is watching the drivers attentiveness. Tesla probably found that watching the driver used too much developer time processor resources.

Guess you guys both missed this post?

I don't think the camera is capable of use for that- IIRC Caddy has a much more advanced camera system to manage that type of function

Specifically-

https://www.cars.com/articles/how-cadillacs-super-cruise-system-works-1420695204019/

DAS employs a camera atop the steering column that watches you to ensure attention with infrared lights to track head position. It has ultraviolet sensors, too, so it can work at night.

The Tesla camera does none of that. It's just a dumb 720p visible-light camera.

Guess you guys both missed this post?

Specifically-

https://www.cars.com/articles/how-cadillacs-super-cruise-system-works-1420695204019/

The Tesla camera does none of that. It's just a dumb 720p visible-light camera.
didn't miss that post at all, in fact I was pretty sure I was clear that I was referencing competitors systems like that
Obviously Tesla doesn't currently do that, hence my comment.
As the youtube attention seekers try to outdo themselves doing stupider and stupider tricks on video for the sake of views and subscribers, its only a matter of time before Tesla are forced to account for the idiot vlogger in the drivers seat.

Reactions: Tron 3
didn't miss that post at all, in fact I was pretty sure I was clear that I was referencing competitors systems like that
Obviously Tesla doesn't currently do that, hence my comment.
As the youtube attention seekers try to outdo themselves doing stupider and stupider tricks on video for the sake of views and subscribers, its only a matter of time before Tesla are forced to account for the idiot vlogger in the drivers seat.

Yeah, but Tesla can't do that because the hardware to do that does not exist in the car. The interior camera it has can't do that job regardless of the software updates they push to it.

It's like the folks who keep suggesting Tesla somehow software-update the car to have a 360 overhead parking view- despite the cameras being physically incapable of providing one due to type and placement.... or the ones asking for rear-cross-traffic alert despite the car lacking rear radar.

Yeah, but Tesla can't do that because the hardware to do that does not exist in the car. The interior camera it has can't do that job regardless of the software updates they push to it.

It's like the folks who keep suggesting Tesla somehow software-update the car to have a 360 overhead parking view- despite the cameras being physically incapable of providing one due to type and placement.... or the ones asking for rear-cross-traffic alert despite the car lacking rear radar.
Again rather obviously they can't just magic an infrared camera in there. But Tesla have a history of providing alternate methods for all sorts of stuff.
They don't have to check its a real person there - of course the idiot in the drivers seat could start wearing a facemask that has open eyes. But at that point you have to be pretty determined to want to get around the safety systems - just like the folks with water bottles taped to their steering wheels.

Again rather obviously they can't just magic an infrared camera in there. But Tesla have a history of providing alternate methods for all sorts of stuff.
They don't have to check its a real person there

They kinda do.

In fact it's the entire point of the system- and why things like the original Autopilot Buddy to "fool" such a system was banned by the NHTSA.

- of course the idiot in the drivers seat could start wearing a facemask that has open eyes.

How bout just sunglasses? Which people pretty commonly wear while driving.

Or, say, night time? I hear some people drive when it's dark.

The Caddy advanced camera system can still see in these conditions and confirm eyes on the road-because it has the hardware to do so

The Cadillac CT6 review: Super Cruise is a game-changer

Ambient light isn't an issue, because the steering wheel rim contains a number of infrared LEDs to illuminate you even in the dead of night, and DMS had no problems "seeing" my eyes even when I was wearing polarized sunglasses.

The Tesla does not.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve