Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Gives Details on FSD 10.2 Beta Release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla will release the next version of it’s Full Self Driving Beta on October 8, Chief Executive Elon Musk said in a tweet.

The company released last week version 10.1 of the software, which included a button to request access to the beta. Tesla previously only gave access to employees and select owners.

By requesting access, owners give Tesla permission to evaluate their driving to create a Safety Score. The Safety Score is an assessment of driving behavior based on five metrics called Safety Factors. These are combined to estimate the likelihood that driving could result in a future collision.

Musk said drivers will need to have a near perfect score in the early roll out.

“First few days probably 100/100, then 99, 98, etc.,” Musk tweeted.

Tesla’s self-driving system is currently under scrutiny from federal investigators after a series of crashes when Autopilot was engaged.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got dinged for aggressive turning by pulling into my driveway, which is more than a 90degree turn. Also got dinged for close following by people cutting me off because I left lots of room between me and the car ahead.

I don’t think this system is meant to gauge how you drive, it is more about the drivers around you that might cause an accident. If that is the case, in Massachusetts it will be very hard to get 100% with all the Massholes around.
Oh that explains my score. My driveway is a hairpin turn.

I put it on autopilot and do the limit. In order to follow safely, I leave a gap, and people cut in front of me. While people say you can do no wrong on AP, the moment you need to take over and apply brakes, AP turns off. Then, you get dinged for braking or FCW. Car's have brakes for a reason. Am I supposed to brake as slowly as possible, or brake as necessary to keep safe?
It's been mentioned before but is likely worth reiterating:
A useful strategy to mitigate can be to use the scroller to adjust the set speed for autopilot -- either in small (1-5) or large (10-20) increments -- very quickly. If the car "thinks the gap is enough" only to discover later "it's not, need to regen and/or use friction brakes", you might be able to induce a "more gradual, but safe" slowdown by changing the set speed rather than engaging the brake pedal.

I'm not saying it's viable in every situation where (the TACC portion of) AP is "slow to react", but it can help for some of them.

Good luck and stay safe (in the real sense, not the score sense).

Tesla really should weed these out by saying those that haven't driven so many miles aren't eligible...
They should weed out all the whiners in this thread of whining. :)
Those are exactly who they don’t want using the system.
If you can’t already comprehend from a development, progressive, and safety point of view, why they want positive, reasonable, and tolerant people using FSD beta, there are no words that will help you understand.
All these whining comments are examples of intolerance, and lack of understanding. This isn’t just about the score…

Tesla really should weed these out by saying those that haven't driven so many miles aren't eligible...
I think it likely Tesla will have some kind of low mileage cut off. Thats why I'm driving about 10 miles a day now. Normally my average mileage is lesser. Finished the drive for today - 5 more days to go. Hopefully I'll finish with 150 miles from 2 weeks and score of 100.

October 1:

The evaluation period was going to be for seven days, however Elon is now saying that Tesla will wait until version 10.2 of the beta is ready before rolling it out to individuals.

FSD Beta 10.2 is set to be released next Friday at midnight.

This really is an interesting sociology experiment. We are all "early adopters", who are attracted to EVs, and specifically Teslas for a variety of reasons. One thing that unites (almost) all of us is that we want to see this FSD system work well, and we are proud and excited to be at the forefront of this very real revolution in transportation. If you're like me, you feel like a kid on the days leading up to Christmas (or whatever holiday your family celebrated). It's easy to be cynical about the commercial exploitation of Christmas, and I know that many of us are thinking that Elon and Tesla are stringing us along... But don't you feel that excitement too?

I remember how excited my wife and I were when we were lucky to be one of the first folks in Florida to get a Gen 2 Prius back in 2004, and how we (almost sleeplessly) awaited the delivery of our Volt in 2013, and our MY last year. This FSD Beta release is making thousands of us genuinely giddy with excitement -- and I'm an old guy who should be very jaded by now. But I'm not!

I've spent my life flying airplanes for a living, and I really appreciate the value of a quality real autopilot. We are, in a way, like everyday test pilots, who are shaking out new machines that will change the world in ways that few of us can scarcely imagine. The safety score game is playing with our heads, and you know -- I'm OK with it.

Purely a hunch. I just have a hard time seeing a mass beta rollout given the state of the software right now (especially to the tune of a thousand a day). Tesla has made a lot of progress on FSD in recent months, but it had (and still has) a long way to go.

I guess, more realistically, I can see 10.2 coming out this weekend, but perhaps Tesla only expands beta by 1000 new testers with each new software release until after the merge to a single stack is complete and fairly well tested.

Tesla will be the first to market regardless of whether it takes a week, a month or a year. I'd rather see a more methodical beta rollout schedule than one which causes accidents, generates bad press, etc.

Yesterday I drove to the top of Pikes Peak and down with an out-of-town friend. Scored 100. Best part was when the young woman at the ticket window gave me the obligatory speech about brake usage, which went something like this: "Now, it's extremely important that on your way back down you shift into a lower... oh. You're driving a Tesla, nevermind." Vehicle charge at the top, BTW, was 63%, and by the time we got down it was back up to 76%. LOL.

The scoring system is absurd. It penalized me for “following to closely” during which time I had cruise control on. So it penalized itself. I also have a turn onto my street off of a major 6 lane road that requires “aggressive steering” in order to be safe. Penalized for that too.
I had the same experience with it penalizing while on autopilot. I believe my ”infraction” was when somebody weaved in front of me while I was driving safely in the slow lane.

I had the same experience with it penalizing while on autopilot. I believe my ”infraction” was when somebody weaved in front of me while I was driving safely in the slow lane.
Tesla claims infractions while on autopilot don't don't. My limited experience agrees. I put on autopilot on the first drive and got two. Not sure what the first was (around a sharp curve with a truck coming the other way) but the screen flashed red and blared. The second was a car that pulled out so that was clearly a too close one. When I got home and checked, I had a perfect score still.

When to we think the scoring cutoff will be, and when do you think 10.2 will start being released to the select few?

Purely a hunch. I just have a hard time seeing a mass beta rollout given the state of the software right now (especially to the tune of a thousand a day). Tesla has made a lot of progress on FSD in recent months, but it had (and still has) a long way to go.
Yea, ok. But do you really think an extra week will make the software that much better?

Old news. My questions still remain. Scoring Cut off at noon on Friday and 10.2 out after midnight on Friday? They need time to rack and stack the scores.

Tesla claims infractions while on autopilot don't don't. My limited experience agrees. I put on autopilot on the first drive and got two. Not sure what the first was (around a sharp curve with a truck coming the other way) but the screen flashed red and blared. The second was a car that pulled out so that was clearly a too close one. When I got home and checked, I had a perfect score still.
My experience has been that on normal autopilot, I still can get a ding when someone merges in too closely in front of me. However, on "navigate on autopilot" I get no dings for this whatsoever. Unfortunately, can only use NOA on the interstates at this point, so on surface roads and at busy times, I still occasionally get dinged for others unsafe behavior with normal autopilot. I've confirmed this numerous times as I tried to avoid the issue by using AP. Nonetheless, not a major issue as long as it is only the Unsafe Following that takes a hit as that seems to have a very low impact on your overall score. The hard braking though that sometimes occurs / is required has a couple of times knocked me down a full or more percentage point(s). I feel fortunate to be back up to 99%, for the moment anyway.

Yea, ok. But do you really think an extra week will make the software that much better?
No and that's basically why I said what I said.

Does anyone really think that Elon's decision to push expanding the FSD beta back a week to coincide with 10.2 was based on some huge expected improvement in 10.2? ( I don't.) And if 10.1 was just incrementally better than the previous beta release (which was just incrementally better than the previous release, and so on...), then why didn't Tesla expand the group of beta testers earlier?

It just defies logic for Tesla to keep it's beta group super small for a year and then suddenly start letting in 1,000 people per day when the software, although much improved, still has a ways to go (including the extremely huge endeavor of merging the stacks).

Instead, at least in my (irrelevant) opinion, I would think that Tesla would gradually expand the beta group over a period of time based systematically on the safety score data. (For instance, if Tesla expanded the beta group by 1k with each release, it would have an extra 10k beta testers by the end of the year.)