Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Gives Details on FSD 10.2 Beta Release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla will release the next version of it’s Full Self Driving Beta on October 8, Chief Executive Elon Musk said in a tweet.

The company released last week version 10.1 of the software, which included a button to request access to the beta. Tesla previously only gave access to employees and select owners.

By requesting access, owners give Tesla permission to evaluate their driving to create a Safety Score. The Safety Score is an assessment of driving behavior based on five metrics called Safety Factors. These are combined to estimate the likelihood that driving could result in a future collision.

Musk said drivers will need to have a near perfect score in the early roll out.

“First few days probably 100/100, then 99, 98, etc.,” Musk tweeted.

Tesla’s self-driving system is currently under scrutiny from federal investigators after a series of crashes when Autopilot was engaged.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW - I have found that driving on AP / NOA on the highway eliminates an issue I was seeing on my first day with drivers cutting in front of me which resulted in Unsafe Following dings of 29.4%.:mad:

I also had Aggressive Turning dings that day of 8.2% which I've addressed by making sure my turns are taken at 20 mph or less (I normally / regularly enjoy making turns at 30+.)

So I was sitting at 95% at the end of my first day.:eek: Several days later, I'm up to 98% by doing the above, but it definitely seems an imperfect scoring system. I suppose they had to have some process for selecting additional beta testers, and at least this isn't completely arbitrary.

crapy_score1.jpg

Reactions: Microterf
There will be many who game the scoring by driving only one mile at 100%, and then garaging that one Tesla of many that they have, until next weekend.

I hope it works. I drive one of the Model 3 a couple of miles each day around the neighborhood and it’s still at 100. The other car is the daily and it’s at 95. Hoping to game it in the last few days to get it up to 98.

There will be many who game the scoring by driving only one mile at 100%, and then garaging that one Tesla of many that they have, until next weekend.
Or drive badly or by misfortune get dinged - but make up for it by driving on freeways with AP on for a few hundred miles.

I'm actually driving more miles than I normally do. Since I WFH, do all shopping online - I really have no need for driving. But don't want to have just 10 miles over a week.

There are many of us that can't afford to game the system that way. It's our only option as our daily driver car. I'm clawed my way back to 100 from 98 the first day. Hopefully will be able to keep it up! And from a number of other posts, plenty of people are driving a good number of miles everyday on the Safety Score.

There are many of us that can't afford to game the system that way. It's our only option as our daily driver car. I'm clawed my way back to 100 from 98 the first day. Hopefully will be able to keep it up! And from a number of other posts, plenty of people are driving a good number of miles everyday on the Safety Score.
I’m at 99. So, you can get back to 100 score if you drive enough 100% miles?

Reactions: TresLA
Have we heard anything on when the rating cutoff is? I see a lot of people referencing this Saturday, but I was assuming that it was going on ratings at the time of release which now appears to be next Saturday.

I guess maybe it would make sense to use the data for this week as the cuttoff and then notify upcoming participants that will get it next Saturday in advance. Not sure if they will have an NDA to sign, etc. But this also doesn't make sense if they are going to do 1,000/day.

I think this system is designed to heavily favor those living around open roads with minimal traffic. Early FSD distributions should perform much better in such environments as the kinks are worked out - and it gradually spreads to more trafficked areas with generally lower safety scores.
That would make sense to me. I'd be especially careful rolling it out if I were Tesla. Lots of press, little positive, on the ap/FSD related issues and beta rollout. First time that Tesla is legitimately taking some heat but it is their own fault for selling something they could not deliver, well intended perhaps but after a year of inability to deliver I think they should have realized they had an issue. Instead they raised price and still did not deliver. Anyway, lots of crap out there now about this and I think they need to be careful. I also expect it is going to take months and months and months, and maybe Dojo, to get a real version out. Still going to be the first widely available product close to FSD but they have image management issues on this.

Reactions: SJROSSO
That is exactly what I am referring to as the "flaw". I'd say that using regen / one pedal driving is an indication of a driver's (well above average) safety consciousness and should be rewarded, not penalized.

So, just like hard braking/ close following while in NOA is does not ding you, regen braking should also not penalize the driver.
What difference does it make how you brake? A G is a G.

Many people are saying that actions while driving using autopilot or cruise are being counted against them, despite Elon and the documentation being clear that this would not be the case. What gives?
While on AP for most of a 50mi commute this morning I have 60%+ Unsafe Follow Distance (still rated the trip at a 99 score lol). All non-AP driving was at less than 50MPH which supposedly will never trigger USF. I don't think they know WTH they're talking about. Theres some disconnect between the engineers that wrote the thing and the tech doc publishers that wrote the description page