Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Gives Details on FSD 10.2 Beta Release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla will release the next version of it’s Full Self Driving Beta on October 8, Chief Executive Elon Musk said in a tweet.

The company released last week version 10.1 of the software, which included a button to request access to the beta. Tesla previously only gave access to employees and select owners.

By requesting access, owners give Tesla permission to evaluate their driving to create a Safety Score. The Safety Score is an assessment of driving behavior based on five metrics called Safety Factors. These are combined to estimate the likelihood that driving could result in a future collision.

Musk said drivers will need to have a near perfect score in the early roll out.

“First few days probably 100/100, then 99, 98, etc.,” Musk tweeted.

Tesla’s self-driving system is currently under scrutiny from federal investigators after a series of crashes when Autopilot was engaged.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure this is really true. All (see attached) of the "Unsafe Following" 8+ percent dings come from when I was either in "Autopilot/TACC" or "Navigate on Autopilot" - when other people cut in front of me because of the large "7" gap between my car and the one I (Autopilot, actually) was following.

View attachment 715784
This is still unclear. How do we know when we were dinged? I’ve had the same experience as the previous poster where on AP/NoA many have cut me off, hard braking when approaching stoplights (annoying, but ultimately not a big deal), and I haven’t been dinged for those. That percentage is a measure against total time spent in that situation (according to the formula posted by Tesla).

It's even more annoying for Android owners, since the Tesla App update hasn't been released to the Goggle Play store, and we have no idea what our Safety Score is still...ridiculous, IMO...
The Android app is available to be side loaded. I wonder if Google's app store is taking some time to approve it.

I am running Tesla Android version 4.1.0-663. it shows me my score.

I got it from APKmirror

Suckers. All of you. Someone has to say it.

In order to get what you paid for and keep what you paid for, you have to drive a car sold as ‘sporty’ slower than -every- other driver. I live in Massachusetts, did this with our egolf because we had to. It was dangerous, caused back ups, etc.

Yet some think the magical beta will no longer be beta. Auto wipers are beta.

It's even more annoying for Android owners, since the Tesla App update hasn't been released to the Goggle Play store, and we have no idea what our Safety Score is still...ridiculous, IMO...
That's not true. It is on the Google Play store for some people (myself included). Not sure if app updates are staggard in some manner, but I was fortunate enough to get the update on my Pixel 5 on the 23rd through the the play store.

• Informative
Reactions: nvx1977
Suckers. All of you. Someone has to say it.

In order to get what you paid for and keep what you paid for, you have to drive a car sold as ‘sporty’ slower than -every- other driver. I live in Massachusetts, did this with our egolf because we had to. It was dangerous, caused back ups, etc.

Yet some think the magical beta will no longer be beta. Auto wipers are beta.
Actually no. Maybe you just can’t seem to understand the difference between production and early access. We paid for production, which this is not. Hence why we are willing to change our driving habits (which, ironically is much safer than I usually like to drive) for a chance at early access.

AP auto steer is still beta, but it’s production (wide release to all owners). This is different than limited/early access FSD beta.

to everyone above, you don’t get dinged for anything that is done on autopilot, just like the FAQ says. I get multiple fcw, hard brakes, etc every day while on AP and my score is 99. (It would be 100 if in day one some jerk didn’t pull out of a parking lot and I _manually_ had to brake hard.)
So what do you say for those who have stated that they did in fact get dinged while driving on AP?

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Bug report? I’m still wondering how people know for sure they were dinged while on AP/NoA since I can’t tell from Safety Score screens what event was actually dinged.
I don't have the answer either. However, as often as I have read about people getting dinged while on AP, I assume some of those people know.

I would think that, in most instances, it's relatively easy to figure out whether an AP ding impacted the safety score - esp. for dings such as hard breaking, following too close, etc. and on shorter drives.

I'm not sure this is really true. All (see attached) of the "Unsafe Following" 8+ percent dings come from when I was either in "Autopilot/TACC" or "Navigate on Autopilot" - when other people cut in front of me because of the large "7" gap between my car and the one I (Autopilot, actually) was following.

View attachment 715784
I’ve driven about 500 miles since last week. Almost all on AP. A lot of FCWs on AP. And no dinged for any of them. No following distance dings. And my experience agrees with the FAQs.

the evidence does not support your story.

I’ve driven about 500 miles since last week. Almost all on AP. A lot of FCWs on AP. And no dinged for any of them. No following distance dings. And my experience agrees with the FAQs.

I have noticed this as well. I haven't been dinged from AP braking or following distances.

I do however feel I was dinged when I had to hit the brakes while in AP because AP wasn't braking and I was going to slam into the car that stopped ahead of me. This was on the freeway and I had my following distance set to 5... While I didn't come to a screeching halt I'm sure I was over the threshold to get dinged. I don't think it does take these kinds of situations into consideration.

Reactions: TresLA and ahoen117
For all that (incorrectly/mistakenly) think they are getting dinged on AP. I posted this in another thread and happened yesterday. Was on AP and a car left turned right in front of me. I instinctively slammed the brake. AP probably did the same at the same time. Expected a Hard Brake and didn't get one at all and it was full ABS lock.

IMG_9298.jpeg

IMG_9299.jpeg

They likely are measuring Gs only, and ignoring how you break.
That is exactly what I am referring to as the "flaw". I'd say that using regen / one pedal driving is an indication of a driver's (well above average) safety consciousness and should be rewarded, not penalized.

So, just like hard braking/ close following while in NOA is does not ding you, regen braking should also not penalize the driver.

Reactions: TEG

@GlmnAlyAirCar Well, it is as it appears to be here! As another poster shared earlier, there is a video showing this happens if TACC/AP/NOAP is engaged after 50 mph. You get dinged in those cases, but not when you engage these under 50 mph. so, there's that - which is not documented in the FAQs...

I got dinged for aggressive turning by pulling into my driveway, which is more than a 90degree turn. Also got dinged for close following by people cutting me off because I left lots of room between me and the car ahead.

I don’t think this system is meant to gauge how you drive, it is more about the drivers around you that might cause an accident. If that is the case, in Massachusetts it will be very hard to get 100% with all the Massholes around.
Yep, that's the thing people miss. It's not necessarily only about your driving, also about your driving environment. They only really care about your probability of a crash, they don't necessarily care if you were at fault or not.