Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX Design Studio Changes - Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone else notice the Model X Design Studio was just changed again? You cannot select seat color and trim independently anymore and the Obeche Wood option is entirely gone from all color options. Seems like they are streamlining things so you can only have a few pre-set leather/trim combinations versus the free-form choices that were there before. No change on the MS Design Studio - just on the MX.

Seema like another way to make more money as well. Now you can't just get upgraded seats, you have to add an extra $800 for different wood decor. Like outie said it's not really custom anymore, they've removed or requires so many things now! And increased prices on a few things, gotta pay for that AP2 hardware and gigafactory i guess!

Reactions: davidc18
I don't like this at all! I love the tan seats with black headliner combinations, looks like I won't be upgrading my X anytime soon

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 11.23.40 PM.png

Reactions: davidc18
Dark ash trim used to be the no-cost choice... now since all the non-multipattern black interior packages are bundled at the same cost, it's effectively a $800 price increase for anyone who was happy to stick to dark ash but wanted the white interior. Not to mention it isn't possible to get dark ash with black or tan leather at any cost anymore.

I suppose obvious choice would be to 'upgrade' to carbon fibre trim considering you're forced to pay a significant chunk of the price difference between dark ash and CF no matter what now.

What's next... only being able to get certain exterior colors if you want a certain interior color combination?

Last edited:
I don't understand this at all, if you want to streamline production you want to make as little differens as possible wish could be remove a chose or make it standard. But to to make it a packege won't streamline production, in what way does it simplify production by making black headliner a most if you choose white seats? It's completely independent so the only reason I can see is that they want to make more money.

I like the homage to the model T with the 'you can have the cheapest model as long as it is black on black.' I'm guessing that the most popular model on the cheap end used to be white paint with multi pattern and white headliner. By taking away the most popular, it will drive the upgrades (it will with me). Another spin is that it is easier to get a 'match' with CPO / new inventory when custom building. Not sure why Model S wasn't affected though.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I don't understand this at all, if you want to streamline production you want to make as little differens as possible wish could be remove a chose or make it standard. But to to make it a packege won't streamline production, in what way does it simplify production by making black headliner a most if you choose white seats? It's completely independent so the only reason I can see is that they want to make more money.
It makes production easier, because you now batch cars by interior. As a result for example the station where they put in seats or falcon wing doors doesn't need to have the other colours ready at the line. You don't have to bother about just in sequence or resupplying every individual colour when it's needed. Instead of getting 15 black 3 white and 2 tan seats to the line and then having to resupply the right colour you just bring 20 black ones, because you know the next 100, 200 or whatever cars will all have that seat.

You get around all this shown at 14:00...

It makes production easier, because you now batch cars by interior. As a result for example the station where they put in seats or falcon wing doors doesn't need to have the other colours ready at the line. You don't have to bother about just in sequence or resupplying every individual colour when it's needed. Instead of getting 15 black 3 white and 2 tan seats to the line and then having to resupply the right colour you just bring 20 black ones, because you know the next 100, 200 or whatever cars will all have that seat.

You get around all this shown at 14:00...
But is it really interior you schould set the order after, shouldn't tesla have enough logistic in place to have seats delivered in the right order? I mean that it's probebly easier to have different seats after each other then change paint in the paint shop. If they can manage to have Model S and Model X on the same line this sounds to be quite easy to fix for the customer to have more choices.

This is really interesting news!

I submitted my configuration just a couple of days ago, that includes the white interior with ash wood.

I'm going to contact Tesla on Monday to ask if they'll be able to honor this config.
I'm sure they'll honor your existing config. Usually when they make these changes, you can still opt for original configuration for a 3-4 months by calling Tesla. Even when they discontinue an exterior paint color, you can still special request it for a period of time.

Totally support them streamlining production and being able to batch better - that has always been an issue. I did really like the Obeche wood color/pattern though, especially with the white. I'm sure Dark Ash looks great too, just have never seen it in person yet.

This may be an indication that production is starting to get ahead of ordering. They are probably batching certain configurations. The idea of custom ordering whatever you want and having it built specifically for you will probably be replaced with buying a standard config and either finding that it is in stock locally, already in transit, or already in the production queue in Fremont. Figured this type of change would be coming with the Model 3 but it looks like they're moving that way already.

@travwill Agreed on the Obeche with White interior. I have a confirmed order for one with that color combo - glad I didn't wait! With that said, the dark ash looks real nice too - if they are streamlining I can see that combo working well for folks.

Agreed with @AlanSqB on streamlining. Only two choices of wood now or carbon fiber. Now that the P90D is gone and air suspension is standard there are down to a lot fewer combinations.

Awful.

Agree with the point above about this being effectively a price increase (a reminder that Tesla as a going concern is never guaranteed). But worse, the default choice now means you can't get the light headliner with multi-pattern black seats anymore. You are forced into the dark headliner option which makes the X feel really claustrophobic inside IMO, hence the more likely upgrade.

I was just getting over the fact that black was the only exterior paint offered at no charge...sigh.

looks like Tesla is moving from a Main street bank towards a wall street bank... bigger and will be more successful.. ! but , it start to loses some of their unique ...! price increase,,, no more " free" super charge... now the interior design is limited to few preset packages.... 3 more years , with market flood new EVs , not sure how much Tesla will continue to stand out vs Audi,,,B & B ....etc

Reactions: X Fan