Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX or ICE - so hard to decide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since May, I’ve been researching on the MS/MX as a replacement for our Enclave SUV that just got sold. I need to purchase by August for a long-distance trip. I have read many pros and cons of the MX/MS from forum members. Before I go out and purchase the Volvo XC90, I want to ask MX owners for their opinions one more time to see if I should reconsider the MX/MS. This is why I’m still on this forum.

We love EV cars, we have the Volt since 2013 and recently purchased the E-Golf for daily commute. We need a long-distance replacement car for our family. We have 2 college kids and occasionally, they still take long trips with us. 3rd bench is nice to have and not required in case we have more than 5 people.

Why XC90 – We want a luxury long distance midsize SUV. Looked at the several SUV like the GLE, X5, RX450HL and decided on the XC90. We like the luxury interior and no range limit. The XC90 is around 80K. If you know a better ICE SUV, I want to hear it too.

Why not the MX – For 90K, we want a more luxurious interior and the MX just can’t compare with the ICE car in that price range. Also, I read too many threads that the MX still has too many small issues and Tesla service is slow. Since I’m buying and not lease, I’m worry about long term.

We have some MX die-hard fans and some with buyer’s remorse and would like to hear all your opinions before my purchase. Thanks.

We’ve had our x two years now. We also buy and keep cars till they die. The Volvo is a very nice car, but it’s the past. The x is the future, actually gets better and more features with age. The x is safer, won’t roll unlike all other suvs. The windshield is amazing and makes it a great vacation car. Finally superchargers is easy. We have the six seater and love it. The instant torque is amazing, another reason great road car. The falcon wing doors make it easy to get in and out of the middle and far back seat. I would recommend a long test drive. The Volvo drives like any car on the road. The x is a unique driving experience.

...range limit...

I've got a Tesla since 2012 when there were only a few superchargers and range has not been a problem for me.

Tesla could go from LAX to NYC in 50 hours and 16 minutes.

ICE is still faster for those who are driving alone in a hurry and skipping bathroom breaks.

But for those who drive with passengers who demand some 15-20 minute bathroom breaks, it makes no difference in ICE and Tesla.

Model X is for you!

Last edited:
1. You’re posting this question on a Tesla forum, are you also posting on a Volvo forum? If not, then you probably already know in your heart you want the X!

2. Opinions here are going to likely lean Tesla positive.

That being said, I’ve had 4 Tesla’s now, an X for 2.5 years and just buying a new X with the improved “Raven” updated motors and range. There has been a ton of improvement over the last few years. I loved my 2016 X, and while it had quirks it was massively outweighed by everything else. The new Model X is significantly better.

I would not even consider an ICE vehicle at this point, and it’s torture every time I have to drive one. So, to join the chorus, I would agree it’s no contest, Model X all the way.

1. You’re posting this question on a Tesla forum, are you also posting on a Volvo forum? If not, then you probably already know in your heart you want the X!

2. Opinions here are going to likely lean Tesla positive.

That being said, I’ve had 4 Tesla’s now, an X for 2.5 years and just buying a new X with the improved “Raven” updated motors and range. There has been a ton of improvement over the last few years. I loved my 2016 X, and while it had quirks it was massively outweighed by everything else. The new Model X is significantly better.

I would not even consider an ICE vehicle at this point, and it’s torture every time I have to drive one. So, to join the chorus, I would agree it’s no contest, Model X all the way.

I sat on the MX once and have visited the show room multiple times. I'm very familiar with the MX. Wife and I are not to fond of the MX interior and worry about the quirks especially on a 90K car. You're right, we really wanted the MX but not sure if this is the right time.

If your decision is based on long trip with multiple passengers capability the X has much more interior space than the Volvo. It has the only long distance Supercharger network for quicker stops along the way. The battery range is much greater than the Volvo as it is simply more efficient, even being much bigger. Supercharger V3 and Tesla technology will probably charge 2X the speed of the Volvo.
The new adaptable suspension with updates will also improve the range, comfort and cruise capability.

The Autopilot is far superior to the electronic drivers aids on the Volvo.

Not sure in what ways the Volvo would be better. For what really matters, that upscale interior falls into the "lipstick on a pig" category.

Believe the upcoming Model Y would be closer in capability and size to the Volvo you are looking at. Less expensive and even more efficient.

I used to have a Mercedes and got caught up in the Ego boost of the over the top interior. Quilted leather seating, great feeling steering wheel, solid thunk when you closed the doors etc. However underneath all that it was really just a run of the mill car with very high maintenance costs and excessive depreciation from new.

If you are traveling long distances with a number of passengers, the panorama windshield and roof makes the traveling experience so much better to those in the rear seats. Much more open with the glass room openings and being able to see the scenery as you pass by makes it so much more enjoyable than the sitting in a cave feeling.

We use our X almost exclusively for long trips. We wouldn't be taking them without the X, mostly because of Autopilot. I'm no longer up for driving all day with limited breaks. It's amazing how much better I feel during long trips with the X. I can't compare to the Volvo, but the other things that drew me to the X, besides electric and Autopilot, were the panoramic windshield, falcon wing doors, the 6 seat configuration with open space in the rear, easy precise steering, front trunk, and no gasoline smell. When there's just two of us on the trip we can load all sorts of weird stuff in the back, filling up the floor.

I like the interior, and the Model 3 interior. They're different, functional, nice looking, and should be durable. That's all I'm really looking for. I actually never remembered what a few of the switches in my old 2001 Porsche Carrera were for, and it had a fairly sparse interior. I liked the Porsche seats better, but that was for their shape, which I've never seen in another car. I have no idea why other people like particular "luxury" features.

This does seem like the future. It drives better, goes faster, and is easier on the environment. It's fun!

I think the only minor concerns I have in recommending the X is charging times and charger locations. Clearly less convenient than gas, though it smells much better. Long trips can take a little planning, using one of the online trip planners, to make sure you can find a charger when you need one. And the charging time is a godsend, allowing us to walk around many new places, eat, shop, and hit the restroom. That make the trip more relaxing and less body- and brain-numbing.

It is not hard at all--especially for those of us who have had an EV. You site the one area where ICE cars might have a slight edge--refueling speed. That is only an issue on long trips when you are focusing on time. First off, it does not take that much more time--maybe 10 minutes more a stop and zero more minutes when taking a meal break. But for all the regular driving here is what you will be giving up. 1. needing to stop at gas stations for ALL refueling 2. Oil Changes . 3. OIL and engine air filters 4. tune ups. 5. gas spill smells 6. Transmission adjustments 7. engine ant-freeze and periodic flushes. U-Joint wear. 6. Limited storage. What you gets is: 1.AUTO Pilot--really nice for your upcoming trip. 2. Continual software improvements 3. The wow factor only an MX brings. 4. Knowledge that you are doing your bit for the environment. 5. Really zippy performance. The MX is faster off the line than 95% of all production vehicles--super fun to drive--a secret bonus for the man of the house. (Kids love it too!!)

Since May, I’ve been researching on the MS/MX as a replacement for our Enclave SUV that just got sold. I need to purchase by August for a long-distance trip. I have read many pros and cons of the MX/MS from forum members. Before I go out and purchase the Volvo XC90, I want to ask MX owners for their opinions one more time to see if I should reconsider the MX/MS. This is why I’m still on this forum.

We love EV cars, we have the Volt since 2013 and recently purchased the E-Golf for daily commute. We need a long-distance replacement car for our family. We have 2 college kids and occasionally, they still take long trips with us. 3rd bench is nice to have and not required in case we have more than 5 people.

Why XC90 – We want a luxury long distance midsize SUV. Looked at the several SUV like the GLE, X5, RX450HL and decided on the XC90. We like the luxury interior and no range limit. The XC90 is around 80K. If you know a better ICE SUV, I want to hear it too.

Why not the MX – For 90K, we want a more luxurious interior and the MX just can’t compare with the ICE car in that price range. Also, I read too many threads that the MX still has too many small issues and Tesla service is slow. Since I’m buying and not lease, I’m worry about long term.

We have some MX die-hard fans and some with buyer’s remorse and would like to hear all your opinions before my purchase. Thanks.

I had a Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription that was bought back due to being a Lemon in February of this year. I finally replaced it with the X 100D a couple of weeks ago (driving various company vehicles in the interim). I had the Volvo for almost a year and a half, and, had it not been for the non-stop problems with the hybrid system (about 80 some days in for service over the time I owned it), I would have loved to have remained in it.

Pros of the Volvo over the X:
Luxurious interior
Much more comfortable seating for all passengers.
Ventilated seats
Higher position/view
Available massaging seats.
Gas (available anywhere)
Can adjust passenger seating from driver's side (when wife falls asleep)
Can drop rear headrests to get a better view from the display
Supports Android Auto and Carplay
Heads Up Display
Much better suspension (adjustable air) and settings offering much more comfortable ride
Much better app and features (can log all trips without a third party service)
Better sound system
Better in-vehicle apps in center display
Adjustable ambient lighting (colors/temps)
Rear control for thermostat/heated seats
360 camera
Turning headlights and much brighter headlights/high beams
10 year warranty on hybrid system in California
Waterproof sport key (never had to carry a key fob unless going in for service)
Kick/wave motion to open tailgate

Pros of the X over the Volvo:
Larger center display
Better autoparking
Better autopilot features
Faster response (speed/torque)
Quiet
Easier rear seat access
Over the air updates
Auto presenting doors
No warm up/shifting to gas

Both qualify for Section 179. Both receive rebates (California). Both get HOV stickers (California). Both can precondition on schedule.

Cons of Both:
Service locations are far and few

If you want to know anything about my Volvo, send me a message, or feel free to ask here. I still check on SwedeSpeed from time to time.. Do I miss the Volvo - yup.. Do I miss the wasted time - nope.

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up and DanCar
We recently took a 6,500 mile trip in our 2017 Model X 100D. We take a lot of road trips, and have been in a lot of vehicles, including several other Teslas.

This was our best trip ever. While seat comfort will obviously vary by person, both my wife and I (it's just the two of us, so we only use the front seats; not sure if that applies to OP) agreed these were the best seats we have been in - after 650-mile days, we were not sore at all. (Nor fatigued, because we were in an EV rather than a noisy, vibrating ICE. I had no idea how much nicer EV road trips were until I started taking them). Tons of room, smooth acceleration, autopilot, fantastic nav screen, great sound system (it's fun to play "who can ask slacker for the best forgotten oldie" on a trip), and the view out the front is awesome. Our 295-mile range is no limitation for us as we can never get over 200 miles without my wife needing a stop.

I completely agree that the interior materials and such are not as luxurious as in other cars in the price range. But we found the X to be supremely comfortable, and when on a road trip we like to be looking outside rather than inside the car. (For example, we aim for monochrome black interiors to help keep focus outwards). Obviously different people want different things and only you can say what is important to you, but a more luxurious interior would not have made the trip any more enjoyable for us. I can't imagine a vehicle we would have enjoyed more on this trip. (Though it would have been nice to have a different revision of the firmware; this one had more phantom braking than we usually get.)

After 1.5 years and 25k miles, here's what's gone wrong with our X: the windshield wiper fluid filler neck had a crack in it; we noticed a little bit of blue fluid on the ground after Tesla filled the tank during our 1-year service. A mobile tech fixed it less than a week after we reported it.

Last edited:
After driving my X for a few years, it now seem obnoxious to pull into a gas station, and pay to pump 20 gallons of poisionous gas into the car. Knowing it will be burning that gas over then next couple hundred miles, polluting the air as we go.

Something more pure about using electricity over gas.

Understand that electricity needs to come from somewhere, but still...

Reactions: jboy210
@LA88

Luxury to me is:

1.) Driving around and past you at my will.
2.) Being able to lean back, relax and crack open a cold one while you can’t. I touch almost nothing but the volume knob on my frequent trips from LA to Vegas.
3.) If we both get into serious accidents I like my survival odds over yours.

No regrets for me on the X. Anyone with an X could have gotten a Volvo if they wanted one.

I hope you make the right choice for yourself.

Last edited:
Before I go out and purchase the Volvo XC90, I want to ask MX owners for their opinions one more time to see if I should reconsider the MX/MS.

Am not sure what you have read on this forum to make you think a X is a horrific longterm ownership proposal.

We've owned 5 Nissan's, 2 Honda's in the past, and our other car is a Lexus. So you can probably tell reliability is normally an essential trait of any car we buy.

Tesla is not in the same league as the Japanese brands for reliability, am not going to pretend for one second it is. But since getting the X we have pretty much stopped using the Lexus, and my wife is just waiting for an excuse to chop in the Lexus for a Model 3 - Though been a Lexus it just refuses to break down :).

For us there really is nothing hard to think about, if you want boring get the XC90, if you want the best family car on this planet get the X. One is something that makes you smile every time you get into the drivers seat, the other is just another box on wheels.

I sat on the MX once and have visited the show room multiple times. I'm very familiar with the MX. Wife and I are not to fond of the MX interior and worry about the quirks especially on a 90K car. You're right, we really wanted the MX but not sure if this is the right time.

Although I do not own a MX yet, I have had a MS for about two years with minimal issues despite having 80,000 miles on it.

If you are even considering the MX I suggest you ask for a overnight test drive. If you drive the Tesla you will understand why.

You owning a volt/ egolf you already know the benefits of home charging, but keep in mind a full EV from Tesla will:
1. Require less service/maintenance ie no oil changes etc.
2. Get better with age with just software
3. Make you grin during each drive
4. Lower Total Cost of Ownership
5. Make your long drives more enjoyable to drive using autopilot

For your concerns about issues people have had, Tesla has always tried to make things right. Remember Tesla’s also have a 7 day return policy by default, what other car company will do that?

Whatever you decide I wish you the best. If you decide it is time for the Tesla, feel free to PM me and I’ll share my referral code to get your 1st 1,000 miles covered on the next road trip.

I had a Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription that was bought back due to being a Lemon in February of this year. I finally replaced it with the X 100D a couple of weeks ago (driving various company vehicles in the interim). I had the Volvo for almost a year and a half, and, had it not been for the non-stop problems with the hybrid system (about 80 some days in for service over the time I owned it), I would have loved to have remained in it.

Hmm, I thought the Volvo is a reliable car. So why did you purchase the Volvo in the first place and not the MX? Just curious.

As for the rest of the feedback, thank you.
Whenever I log into the forum under MS or MX threads, the first page I usually see is often yellow screen problems, fitment issues, air conditioning noise, software update issues, and the list goes on. This scares me a bit especially for a 90K car. By posting this thread, I knew I would get a lot of positive feedback from many members with positive experience. However, I'm a little surprise that ALL of the feedback above pretty much said go for the MX.

I'll take a test drive this week and go from there. Back to square one and may be that's a good thing!