Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car randomly turned itself on. WTF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All these happenings seem to have occurred in the same time frame. Sense our apps only command the Tesla Servers to activate something on the car to happen (that is why you need a cell connection to use the app) it would seem to be not an individual car issue.

Makes you wonder who has access to the servers and just what total capability is involved. I wonder if "always connected" is part of this.

I also wonder what the VIN spread was for the affected cars.

Sense our apps only command the Tesla Servers to activate something on the car to happen (that is why you need a cell connection to use the app) it would seem to be not an individual car issue.

Even if it was your app directly "commanding" the car, you'd still need cell service to carry that command. The internet is the road needed to carry the command, regardless of if it's bouncing thru a Tesla server, or going direct to your car over HTTPS or whatever.

Happened to me this past Monday.

Arrived at work at around 7:15am, parked in my spot, grabbed my cellphone from the Quick Connection Phone Dock, got out, closed the door and ran to the elevator as someone was holding the elevator for me.

Came off work at around 8:50pm and found the door handles extended, the mirrors unfolded and both screens on and could hear the music playing.

I have a Feb delivered 2017 Model S 90D running 17.28.c528869, no Smart Preconditioning and Walk-away door lock active.

Maybe someone could create a Google Sheet or something and we could log and graph when this event occurred?

@Art_Vandelay , are you in the Pacific or Mountain time zone by any chance? I left my car at 8:15 pm mountain time and found it on two hours later, at 10:15 pm mountain time. The timing could be the same, depending on your time zone.

I think many of the other reports mentioned a Monday night timeframe as well.

Update - Local service center still can't find anything in the logs (that's scary) but they told me they have received calls from a lot of other owners detailing the exact same problem. So that's a relief (or even more concerning, depending on how you look at it).

@Art_Vandelay , are you in the Pacific or Mountain time zone by any chance? I left my car at 8:15 pm mountain time and found it on two hours later, at 10:15 pm mountain time. The timing could be the same, depending on your time zone.

I think many of the other reports mentioned a Monday night timeframe as well.

Good catch @MorrisonHiker, some of the other Monday timeframes do lineup.
Mine took place on Central Time.

Update - Local service center still can't find anything in the logs (that's scary) but they told me they have received calls from a lot of other owners detailing the exact same problem. So that's a relief (or even more concerning, depending on how you look at it).

I'd say that's positive in general, because it will probably lead to a faster fix. If it was just your car, it would unfortunately be a lower priority and you'd be stuck with a loaner/rental while they tracked down whatever gremlin it was. Conversely if it is fleet software related then they will have a fire under their butts to get it fixed quick before Teslas start getting stolen (or the things inside of them).

I've only read the first page of this thread, but my car behaved very strangely the other day when we were going somewhere. It was just after people started talking about the new firmware update. I got in the car and the screens refused to boot correctly. After a couple of reboots, I got the center screen working, but no temperature readout and the odometer said ----. The center screen was blank. I was able to pull the car out in this condition, but it took a couple more reboots of both screens to get everything back. I was just about to call Tesla roadside assistance when everything started working again.

• Helpful
Reactions: mnpT
Update - Tesla is saying this is a touchscreen bug. The screen thinks it's being touched when it's not.... (no clue why that would make my car unlock and fully turn on randomly.... but ok). They have ordered me a new screen. Should be here in a week.

I asked him how that made sense given the global nature of the bug. He said it's apparently a combo of firmware+hardware.....So if that happened to you, i guess contact your service center and ask for a new screen?

• Informative
Reactions: Ski_