Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car randomly turned itself on. WTF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update - Tesla is saying this is a touchscreen bug. The screen thinks it's being touched when it's not.... (no clue why that would make my car unlock and fully turn on randomly.... but ok). They have ordered me a new screen. Should be here in a week.

I asked him how that made sense given the global nature of the bug. He said it's apparently a combo of firmware+hardware.....So if that happened to you, i guess contact your service center and ask for a new screen?
If it's a touchscreen bug, I wonder why it would affect multiple cars around the exact same time on the same night of August 21st. :confused: I don't think it was a firmware/hardware issue as my car was on firmware 17.28 c528869 for 33 days before I experienced this on the night of August 21st. I received 17.32.6ca28227 the following morning.

Maybe they just decided to swap it out since they don't know the cause and got tired of the phone calls?

Last edited:
I just wanted to add to this thread and the reddit thread that this happened to me too... It happened around 8pm and I went down to go to my car to drive to the gym and music was blaring, lights were even on, and it was unlocked. Really odd and not a good thing, especially since my cars parking port is right off a pretty busy street.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
If it's a touchscreen bug, I wonder why it would affect multiple cars around the exact same time on the same night of August 21st. :confused: I don't think it was a firmware/hardware issue as my car was on firmware 17.28 c528869 for 33 days before I experienced this on the night of August 21st. I received 17.32.6ca28227 the following morning.

Maybe they just decided to swap it out since they don't know the cause and got tired of the phone calls?

I'm clearly no expert on the subject, but it doesn't look like a screen issue to me.
My 90D was and currently still is on 17.28 c528869. No update for me that day...
I'm still waiting for 2017.32.6 ca28227 or 2017.32.17 722130c. :(

Just throwing my hat in the ring here. Happened to me twice today. First thing in the morning, opened the garage door, heard the fans going, AC was on but no indication the car was unlocked (I didn't even consider checking). Did a short drive, came home, then went out to the garage to again find it in that same mode. Called support who gave me the "it is a feature - car is preconditioning" story.

Mine is a 2017 75D, running 17.28.

Just throwing my hat in the ring here. Happened to me twice today. First thing in the morning, opened the garage door, heard the fans going, AC was on but no indication the car was unlocked (I didn't even consider checking). Did a short drive, came home, then went out to the garage to again find it in that same mode. Called support who gave me the "it is a feature - car is preconditioning" story.

Mine is a 2017 75D, running 17.28.
Do you have preconditioning enabled?

that's what i asked. I told him i have zero confidence it's a touchscreen bug... but what the hell, if they want to replace the screen, then be my guest.

Consistently is one thing. But what if it opens your garage door at 2AM all on it's own?
To each their own, but I disabled all auto-homelink stuff. I'd rather sleep peacefully.
My LiftMaster garage doors automatically close themselves so I'm never worried about my garage doors being open for more than a few minutes. I can see how others might be concerned about that though.

Fortunately, I don't have a problem with my Tesla opening them when it shouldn't. I do have auto open/close enabled and I use that whenever coming home home or leaving the house. I do not have it enabled when using summon.

I live in a small town and before I got the LiftMaster openers, we actually had the police knock on our door one night shortly after sunset. They wanted to make sure we knew our garage door was open. We didn't. One person in the house is notorious for forgetting to close the garage doors. Since replacing the old openers with the LiftMaster 8500s, we haven't ever had to worry about the door being left open.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
This has been happening to me and it's driving me nuts. While inside the house recently, I heard the car door (inside the garage) close by itself...that means it had been opened...by itself. What's annoying is when I am listening to a podcast or talking on the phone and it keeps switching over to the Tesla audio. Today I went out to the Tesla and on the screen I pressed "power off." As soon as I got out and closed the door (didn't have key anywhere near car) the radio in the car came on again! What he heck??

I’ve observed my 2016 X turning on for a few minutes, several times per night. The side mirrors unfold, headlights turn on, and the door unlocks. It then locks itself a few minutes later. This has happened at least a couple dozen times in my garage when I just happened to be in there over the last couple weeks.

No idea when it started doing it but I recorded the time and will inquire with service. My 2013 S is parked right next to it and has never done anything like this.

I’ve observed my 2016 X turning on for a few minutes, several times per night. The side mirrors unfold, headlights turn on, and the door unlocks. It then locks itself a few minutes later. This has happened at least a couple dozen times in my garage when I just happened to be in there over the last couple weeks.

No idea when it started doing it but I recorded the time and will inquire with service. My 2013 S is parked right next to it and has never done anything like this.

How far away is your key when this happens? If it's too close, it will do what you are experiencing, unless you have passive entry disabled. I think the key needs to be 20 ft away or something like that. I store mine just outside the garage, so this was happening to me. I bought one of those metal security key boxes and store all my keys in there now. Haven't had any problems since. I do notice the car usually wakes up, unlocks, and presents the door handles as soon as I open the key box.

• Helpful
Reactions: MikeC