Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car randomly turned itself on. WTF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How far away is your key when this happens? If it's too close, it will do what you are experiencing, unless you have passive entry disabled. I think the key needs to be 20 ft away or something like that. I store mine just outside the garage, so this was happening to me. I bought one of those metal security key boxes and store all my keys in there now. Haven't had any problems since. I do notice the car usually wakes up, unlocks, and presents the door handles as soon as I open the key box.

Thanks, I think this was the problem. The key was in an adjacent room about 20 feet away. I moved it and it doesn’t seem to be happening anymore.

I didn’t think that was the problem because my S is parked even closer to that room and I’ve never had that happen with S. Something must be different with the X key. Thanks again!

Thanks, I think this was the problem. The key was in an adjacent room about 20 feet away. I moved it and it doesn’t seem to be happening anymore.

I didn’t think that was the problem because my S is parked even closer to that room and I’ve never had that happen with S. Something must be different with the X key. Thanks again!
Yes, the X uses Bluetooth LE (BLE) in its keyfob. Originally, the Model S did not use Bluetooth LE. I don't know if it currently does or not. The Model 3 does use Bluetooth LE to enable you to access and drive your car via cell phone.

It is not related to the cars that turn themselves on in the middle of the night, but still something I did not expect.
I crawled out of my car through the passanger's door as I had parked very close to an obstacle driver's side. I didn't use the fob to close it but just walked away. When I came back it was still on.

It is not related to the cars that turn themselves on in the middle of the night, but still something I did not expect.
I crawled out of my car through the passanger's door as I had parked very close to an obstacle driver's side. I didn't use the fob to close it but just walked away. When I came back it was still on.

Yeah, if you don't enter and exit the car in the normal way, it can become confused and stay on.

So i pick up my phone to make a call, and I realize that i can't hear anything. I check my audio connection and it showed bluetooth active. I check which device it is and it say it's my Tesla. Well ok what they hell, because it's been sitting in my garage for the last 5 hours. I go out to the car, and it's on. Center screen is on, driver display is on, AC is on, music is playing, etc. The car was even unlocked.

I call Support. I get the stellar answer of "that's the preconditioning". Um no, i have that disabled, and even if it was on, it doesn't explain the music and screens being on, and the car unlocking itself. I'm told "we'll pull some logs and get back to you".

Hopefully I don't wake up with a car that's auto-initiated summon into my street :/

(PS - no, i didn't leave a key in the car)

Mine did the same thing a couple weeks back. It was like 9pm and the keys were still on the counter where I placed them when I got home at 5. Peconditioning was not on. I could hear humming in the garage and when I went out the car was on with a stream of water coming from it from the AC running so long.

I've found the range of Homelink is worse than the separate remote was. The car also seems to transmit a fairly narrow "beam". The angle of the car with respect to the garage door opener seems to have an impact on whether it works or not. Whether my SO's car is in the garage or not seems to impact reliability. If her car isn't home, it works better than when it is.

It’s weird that this thread was bumped for Homelink, but my 2017 S75D was charging very slowly tonight. I went down to the garage to take a look and the car was on and blasting the A/C with playing music. Very bizarre behavior. I’m on 2018.10.4

Yeah, mine was never very reliable. I finally tried removing and replacing the pairing. I could not get the pairing procedure to work again. Now I'm back to using a garage door opener.

My Homelink was super reliable until I took the car in for the LTE upgrade. Ever since then about 80% of the time the distance countdown to open the garage shows up and counts upward as I get closer to the house. It obviously doesn’t open the garage at all. I tried deleting and re-pairing, resetting the location etc.

Just had an 'alarm activation' alert on my iphone. I ran outside to nothing........a guy in the car opposite in the car park said it came on for a couple of seconds and then went off! He said there was no one anywhere close to my car........strange!