Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Door Trim Discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the discoloration appeared, I found this thread. I tried the WD-40 and the Maguiar’s Cleaning Polish... each/both worked, and I tried WD-40 then the Maguiars. I realized that this is something that will eventually require a “global” fix ( as in “this cannot be ignored at the Tesla level”), and it will eventually be addressed.
Until that time, I don’t want to deal with this (Wife’s car, and she likes the car wash solution to keeping her car clean).
So... I asked the people who wrapped the front end to address the anodized aluminum trim with matte black wrap solution. Cost me $300+ but it looks fine and now I don’t need to think about this again (3+ year warranty on the wrap).
By that point, hopefully a solution will appear.

• Helpful
Reactions: eyedub
i received this note from Tesla Service Shop in Rockville, MD:
I have done some research into the stained Brightwork issue. We have found the following products to be effective in removing the stains:

#1: Meguiar's 205 Ultra Finishing Polish (1108079-00-A)
Meguiar's 105 Ultra-Cut Compound (1108078-00-A)
Meguiar's D301 Finishing Wax
Meguiar's D166 Ultra Polishing Wax
Meguiar's 21 Synthetic Sealant
Meguiar's 100 Pro Speed Compound
3M 06064 Perfect-It Machine Polish
3M 06068 Perfect-It EX Ultrafine Machine Polish
3M 36060 Perfect-It EX Rubbing Compound

This is a weird list. Most are abrasives, which means this isn't something you're going to want to repeat with any frequency. But there are exceptions: the Meguiar's D301 and 21. That latter one is kind of baffling. I can sort of see where a cleaner wax might work, but I have no idea why a sealant would work.

Reactions: eyedub
Man, this has me worried now. I only washed the car once, by hand fortunately. But I typically go to touchless washes. Has anyone tried ceramic coating the trim first? I think I may give that a go. I don’t mind the occasional hand wash, but I’d prefer to let my local place do it most of the time.

Man, this has me worried now. I only washed the car once, by hand fortunately. But I typically go to touchless washes. Has anyone tried ceramic coating the trim first? I think I may give that a go. I don’t mind the occasional hand wash, but I’d prefer to let my local place do it most of the time.
I plan to have mine coated in the near term, so asked my installer (who has seen many Model Ys already). They said they do coat those parts, and that the coating will prevent this from happening to the trim. They were not aware of anyone having issues after being coated.

I have a new MY and having read this thread, I am looking to protect my trim from this issue. Has anyone heard of Gtechniq C4? I saw it on a Youtube video and it appears it's made to both restore and protect trim. Now I don't know if they are referring to plastic trim or if it will work on the anodized type here. Would love an opinion if anyone has used it.

I had my car ceramic coated by a detailer and I still got the discolouration on the trim :(

So annoyed - not sure how I’ll keep the car clean in the winter.. how can a car not hold up in a touch less car wash? This has me very worried...

My car is only 3 wks old. I haven't washed, waxed or treated it in any way. That's going to happen in this week. But I've got the trim discoloration on the rear passenger side door trim at the bottom of the window. So, no need for chemicals to get the discoloration. Now I've got to try and get the trim looking nice before I try and seal everything!

Oils, like from fingers or waxes or items like “Back to Black” which is a glorified Armor All, will mask the problem temporarily. I have extensive experience with Back to Black and it always looks like a fix but is very temporary, like what used car salesmen use to dress up vehicles for sale, only for the parts to revert to their faded glory after the sale. So far as I can tell, solutions that are based on coating the issue are masks and will disappear after a few washes. I have no experience with ceramics, but the stainless steel cleaner to start followed by some Noxon and then a decent wax has had the best result for me thus far.

For what it's worth - I asked the founder of the large regional "light touch" car wash in the PNW about the possible discoloration and here's his response:

Thank you for your email. For the last 30 years our mission has been to develop safe Cleaning products for your car, our employees and the environment. The Kaady Chemical car wash shampoo used in the Kaady wash process to wash your car has a PH of 11. and is non-corrosive, free of caustics, acids and phosphates. We are continually searching for the latest technology to incorporate into our formulas. I'm sure you have noticed the brilliant shine of your car after washing. I would like to bring to your attention that most touchless car washes ( high pressure water ) use a two step chemical application. High PH is usually caustic based ( corrosive ) with a PH around 13. and a low PH acid around 1-2. in a lot of cases Hydrofluoric or Ammonium Bi Fluoride.

Living in the rainy, muddy, but beautiful PNW I've always been okay with the cons of using a "light touch" carwash. I've washed my new black Model Y PUP twice now with no discoloration or any issues at all.

I am worried about this as well, given I live in WI and my car is a week old. I think what I will do is to go to a pressure washer type place in town, wash off the heavy stuff with the rinse function. Then go home and use OAN by hand in my garage. Not sure what else to do? I also thought about ceramic coating the trim once or twice, but someone above said that didn't work either. Really odd problem for sure.