Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Experience Taking my Model Y down to 0%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also have a 2023 MYLR. It has about 2500 miles on it. I have it set to "Chill" and I drive it like an old lady, piddle around town never above 65 mph on the highway. The best I can achieve, even short term, is 270 wh/mile. Is it because mine is still new? Do you just turn the hvac completely off?

Thanks.
Truth is, that’s about all you can expect in our real world driving. EPA numbers are totally misleading, they only help sell more cars for Musk 💰 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Skavatar
Truth is, that’s about all you can expect in our real world driving. EPA numbers are totally misleading, they only help sell more cars for Musk 💰 🤷🏻‍♂️
Regulators have to come up with rules and metrics that most everyone can agree on. Otherwise they become unenforceable if ignored.
So watered-down metrics are the result. It's not about Elon, it's about politics.
Save your hate.

Reactions: holmgang
I also have a 2023 MYLR. It has about 2500 miles on it. I have it set to "Chill" and I drive it like an old lady, piddle around town never above 65 mph on the highway. The best I can achieve, even short term, is 270 wh/mile. Is it because mine is still new? Do you just turn the hvac completely off?

Thanks.
Just look at the graphs on the Energy page and reality should be obvious. Chill barely impacts range.

A cycle is 100% of the battery capacity, not a specific 100-0% test. If you do 5 60-40% charges it = 1 cycle too.
Batteries degrade as a function of time at charge. 0% and 100% have a very high degradation rate, so don't spend a lot of time at either and you don't really do any damage.
55% is the magic number where degradation is the absolute lowest. It ages the slowest. Normal time based breakdown of the cells. It also cycles the slowest giving a significant increase in cycle life of the battery.

If you want the longest life out of your battery charge it to 56% (it will stabilize at 55%) every night and try to never go below 20%. If you need more than 35% of your battery each day, charge up the extra just before you leave.

Unfortunately 80% is not much better than 100% for storage percentage.

Just look at the graphs on the Energy page and reality should be obvious. Chill barely impacts range.

Look at the last tab on the Energy pages. On the one side is the current utilization and the other is the anticipated range. The dotted line is the EPA average number.

Leave that screen up while you drive. It's especially useful if you can get on a road and drive 5-10 minutes at a couple of different speeds.

Reactions: Alonzo
A cycle is 100% of the battery capacity, not a specific 100-0% test. If you do 5 60-40% charges it = 1 cycle too.
Batteries degrade as a function of time at charge. 0% and 100% have a very high degradation rate, so don't spend a lot of time at either and you don't really do any damage.
55% is the magic number where degradation is the absolute lowest. It ages the slowest. Normal time based breakdown of the cells. It also cycles the slowest giving a significant increase in cycle life of the battery.

If you want the longest life out of your battery charge it to 56% (it will stabilize at 55%) every night and try to never go below 20%. If you need more than 35% of your battery each day, charge up the extra just before you leave.

Unfortunately 80% is not much better than 100% for storage percentage.
And how many months/miles is that going to increase the life of the battery?

And how many months/miles is that going to increase the life of the battery?
It's more a percentage of your personal battery as there are a lot of other factors. But the difference from 80% to 55% storage is in the 15-20% increased life. If that's 10 years for you then you could extend it up to 2 years. The less cycles you use the bigger the aging difference is. For example a low cycle battery at 20 years could get an extra 4-6 years.
80% is considered worn out, but still has a lot of life for certain applications.

Last edited:
It's more a percentage of your personal battery as there are a lot of other factors. But the difference from 80% to 55% storage is in the 15-20% increased life. If that's 10 years for you then you could extend it up to 2 years. The less cycles you use the bigger the aging difference is. For example a low cycle battery at 20 years could get an extra 4-6 years.
80% is considered worn out, but still has a lot of life for certain applications.
I don't want hypothetical, I'm wanting you to back your position.

I believe that most battery experts would disagree with your statement "If you want the longest life out of your battery charge..."

The numbers that you are quoting seem to be around battery degradation numbers, not longevity, there is a difference.

And the battery degradation numbers are relatively insignificant, a few percent difference on average.

The number of cycles and age of the battery are probably much bigger players in the longevity of the battery.

But the big thing is, for Model 3 and Model Y even after 6 years, longevity hasn't become a blip on the radar yet.

I don't want hypothetical, I'm wanting you to back your position.

I believe that most battery experts would disagree with your statement "If you want the longest life out of your battery charge..."

The numbers that you are quoting seem to be around battery degradation numbers, not longevity, there is a difference.

And the battery degradation numbers are relatively insignificant, a few percent difference on average.

The number of cycles and age of the battery are probably much bigger players in the longevity of the battery.

But the big thing is, for Model 3 and Model Y even after 6 years, longevity hasn't become a blip on the radar yet.
Nope. Do what you want. Tesla has the best batteries and bms. Treat your battery good and it will last longer. Or don't.

Reactions: ewoodrick
My takeaway from the data I’ve seen is that keeping your average SoC as close to 50% as possible, with small daily charges, will definitely result in a lower rate of battery degradation. But whether that reduction in degradation is significant over a 10 to 15 year vehicle life vs. just not obsessing about charging and doing what Tesla suggests (80% limit, charge whenever possible) hasn’t and maybe can’t be established as a golden rule for all drivers.

For me, I’m not going to charge to 100% every night but otherwise not worry about it.

My takeaway from the data I’ve seen is that keeping your average SoC as close to 50% as possible, with small daily charges, will definitely result in a lower rate of battery degradation. But whether that reduction in degradation is significant over a 10 to 15 year vehicle life vs. just not obsessing about charging and doing what Tesla suggests (80% limit, charge whenever possible) hasn’t and maybe can’t be established as a golden rule for all drivers.

For me, I’m not going to charge to 100% every night but otherwise not worry about it.

Agreed. I'm not really obsessing about it, but luckily for me, charging to 50 or 55% daily fits my use case, as I only typically commute to work 25km there and back, then run a few errands. So for me it's totally fine to keep the car between 40-55%. I'm not letting anything stop me from charging higher when needed. But I do think that over time, perhaps many years, my degradation will be probably be lower than "average". I'm only seeing about 2-2.5% degradation now after 3 years and almost 59000 km. I also only have a Standard Range so I'd like to maintain as much capacity as possible as I do plan to drive the car into the ground...I also live in a colder climate for 9 months of the year so I am sure that helps too.

Reactions: Owner4523

Thanks.

The drivetrain is not going to break-in and improve or anything. 270wh/mi is in the big picture a very reasonable efficiency figure, and better than most EVs. Freeway speeds is the biggest determinant. You could probably knock the avg cruising speed down 5mph, but drive in Sport mode and leadfoot around town, and probably land at the same overall figure. And check your tire pressures.

Reactions: Alonzo

Thanks.
I can get 230 wh/mile with 20 inch wheels doing a mix of 40-65 mph so you may have something turned on when you car is parked like cabin over heat protection or sentry mode