Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My experience taking Tesla to court about FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my case Tesla are expecting me to pay for FSD for a third time while knowing in the UK the chances of actually delivering FSD in the 3 year PCP timescale is virtually impossible.

I remember years ago having free supercharging for life, and then the rules changed and it was lost when I changed vehicles. Something that was never told to me at the time of purchase.

I remember years ago having free supercharging for life ... it was lost when I changed vehicles

Was only ever for the lifetime of that car (transferable to next owner in a private sale) (and latterly only for the duration of your ownership of that car, not transferrable to next owner), and specifically not transferable to another car (excepting some special offers that they have had recently), or am I misunderstanding?

Was only ever for the lifetime of that car (transferable to next owner in a private sale) (and latterly only for the duration of your ownership of that car, not transferrable to next owner), and specifically not transferable to another car (excepting some special offers that they have had recently), or am I misunderstanding?
Well, that was explained to me several years after having the car. Reports at the time were if the vehicle was sold to Tesla FSD was removed. I think they we sued for that too.

Not my case but something similar….

The small claims court is setup with private individuals with no legal assistance to bring cases against big companies.

HMRC seem to think they're a law unto themselves. The way they treat minor breaches against the little guy is terrible, been through it many times as part of my job and they are so petty.

Yet the massive breaches by large companies seem to go univestigated.
Bit of crazy thread drift here, but I fully agree with your last sentence. I don’t have direct experience with HMRC, however I have worked for the constabulary, and sadly, the little fish are far easier to catch.

Reactions: Roy Batty
Earlier this year I bought a used 2021 M3 Dual Motor with FSD from an independent. Any idea what my position would be?

Should it self park etc? Mine doesn't.
Does it have the option for FSD or not ? Press Specs and Warranty at the bottom of the app and see if it says Full Self Driving.

If not go back to see how the dealer advertised what it had, did it include Full Self Driving or was it capable of Full Self Driving?

If your issue is more that the feature exists, but is rubbish and only works in car parks with really clear white lines, yes that's what Tesla provide, maybe you could try and complain to Tesla that it's not fit for purpose but that's a much harder case to prove than the OP who could clearly point to something being advertised at the point he bought it not being delivered.

Earlier this year I bought a used 2021 M3 Dual Motor with FSD from an independent. Any idea what my position would be?

Should it self park etc? Mine doesn't.
It should do, as it has ultrasonics, but I've had FSD since getting my car in March 2020 and it's probably prompted me to autopark about 4 times in that time. it is very particular about the configuration of spaces it will offer to park in.

Does it have the option for FSD or not ? Press Specs and Warranty at the bottom of the app and see if it says Full Self Driving.

If not go back to see how the dealer advertised what it had, did it include Full Self Driving or was it capable of Full Self Driving?

If your issue is more that the feature exists, but is rubbish and only works in car parks with really clear white lines, yes that's what Tesla provide, maybe you could try and complain to Tesla that it's not fit for purpose but that's a much harder case to prove than the OP who could clearly point to something being advertised at the point he bought it not being delivered.
Definitely FSD. My main question was about the potential to sue as it is 2nd hand from an independent. The no self parking question was a secondary question.

Definitely FSD. My main question was about the potential to sue as it is 2nd hand from an independent. The no self parking question was a secondary question.
The OP received a refund on grounds that they didn't receive what was advertised at the point at which they paid money, the website in 2019 stated that features would arrive by the end of that year and they didn't.

This wasn't the case after 2019, wording was made more vague about future capabilities.

What grounds are you thinking of taking Tesla to court over ?

That was why I asked!
The OP received a refund on grounds that they didn't receive what was advertised at the point at which they paid money, the website in 2019 stated that features would arrive by the end of that year and they didn't.

This wasn't the case after 2019, wording was made more vague about future capabilities.

What grounds are you thinking of taking Tesla to court over ?

Reports at the time were if the vehicle was sold to Tesla FSD was removed. I think they we sued for that too.
If someone sells their car to Tesla (as a trade-in or otherwise) and they remove FSD what possible claim would the seller have? If Tesla then re-sells the car stating it has FSD but does not, the new buyer would have a claim but I am not aware of any such case.

That was why I asked!
I'm no legal expert, but I'm strugglong to see your claim against Tesla here....you bought the car second hand from an independent with FSD already installed (Did the car price reflect inclusion of FSD? Was FSD a significant part of your purchase decision? What were Tesla saying about FSD at the time of your purchase to sway you to pay extra for a car with FSD?)

Even so, to my mind your situation is much less clear cut than making a conscious decision to buy FSD as an 'add on' from Tesla based on their marketing claims at the time of purchase.

In my case Tesla are expecting me to pay for FSD for a third time while knowing in the UK the chances of actually delivering FSD in the 3 year PCP timescale is virtually impossible.

I remember years ago having free supercharging for life, and then the rules changed and it was lost when I changed vehicles. Something that was never told to me at the time of purchase.
Can you not buy the car without FSD and add it in the future if functionality increases? I think Tesla generally give advance notice if there’s going to be a price increase in FSD so hopefully you wouldn’t be caught out. Though I really don’t see how they could justify an increase in the UK anyway.

Personally I would never buy FSD again as it offers negligible benefit over EAP.

I'm no legal expert, but I'm strugglong to see your claim against Tesla here....you bought the car second hand from an independent with FSD already installed (Did the car price reflect inclusion of FSD? Was FSD a significant part of your purchase decision? What were Tesla saying about FSD at the time of your purchase to sway you to pay extra for a car with FSD?)

Even so, to my mind your situation is much less clear cut than making a conscious decision to buy FSD as an 'add on' from Tesla based on their marketing claims at the time of purchase.
Bought my 2nd hand M3 a few months ago and I'd estimate FSD/EAP cost me no more than £1k which I was happy with, I knew it was pretty rubbish so eyes open.

Reactions: Whyone
Yep, I'd imagine this is the realistic and sensible stance that most folks buying a second hand car with FSD included would take.
Yeah, buying a second hand Tesla with FSD is quite different to ordering it based on this objective nonsense as I did :(

Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 11.55.36.png

Reactions: Whyone