Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Insurance Company Thinks My Y is a Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Title says it all, I took delivery of my Y Friday and posted the info, including VIN, to my insurance company (USAA). They came back and told me I have a Performance Y. OK with me, as long as it's free; but is the insurance more costly?

Vistan

When I got quotes from USAA, there was a difference in price between the Performance and non-Performance designations when you selected the vehicle without a VIN.

I haven't decided what I'll do when I get the VIN and I have to get a formal quote from USAA -- it sounds like all the LR AWDs appear as Performance models to them, which doesn't seem fair to me.

I like USAA and they have great customer service (even though it seems like they sold off all the other USAA products that I use, such as their brokerage and mutual funds).

Geico just asks for the MSRP (their system doesn't recognise the VIN at all) which I expect is the most important factor in calculating the premium.

BTW: all Model Ys are performance versions at the moment as far as I can tell, and the LR AWD is simply software limited. The only CARB certification is for the performance Y.

Last edited:
When I got quotes from USAA, there was a difference in price between the Performance and non-Performance designations when you selected the vehicle without a VIN.

I haven't decided what I'll do when I get the VIN and I have to get a formal quote from USAA -- it sounds like all the LR AWDs appear as Performance models to them, which doesn't seem fair to me.

I like USAA and they have great customer service (even though it seems like they sold off all the other USAA products that I use, such as their brokerage and mutual funds).
I was with USAA for 21 years when they stopped writing homeowners in Florida. So they forced me to go elsewhere for homeowners and then cancelled my umbrella because you couldn't have umbrella without homeowners! So all I had left was auto so I fired them and went with a new company that linked umbrella to auto, not homeowners. Too bad because I liked them and they were usually cheaper than everyone else.

You could show them your MVPA. Also, go find a local insurance broker to shop your info around as USAA can be stupid expensive even if you have all their products.

We’ve been members for 15 & 17 years so far but only have had insurance for a few of those because they jumped $600 when we moved despite having mortgage/checking/credit cards/savings and investments with them.

Now that USAA has sold off their brokerage side to Schwab I'll close everything else just as soon as the 2020 tax forms arrive.
For Tesla insurance it seems carriers vary even more widely than they do for higher-end ICE. Some years ago I moved to Progressive for auto because they gave me superb rates on a Porsche. My Teslae have been a P85D and P3D, both of which have been cheaper than anyone else, and nobody does better than they do for customer service. For sure YMMV depending on all the usual variables.

As USAA kept changing my umbrella and household ended out with Progressive too.

It is very sad to see my half century with USAA and GEICO come to an end. Back in those ancient times those two were the only ones who could cope with multi-country service and coverages. Now others can and these two can no longer.

30-year USAA customer here as well. I only use them for auto but the rates and service are unbeatable as far as I can tell. Some good answers in this thread. The LR AWD is classified as performance because it actually is one (albeit slightly software limited). I'm guessing the USAA rate difference going to be slight anyway, so I'm not sweating it.

Geico just asks for the MSRP (their system doesn't recognise the VIN at all) which I expect is the most important factor in calculating the premium.

BTW: all Model Ys are performance versions at the moment as far as I can tell, and the LR AWD is simply software limited. The only CARB certification is for the performance Y.

My MVPA showed up on my account the other day for my LR AWD MY (no contact from Tesla yet), and my VIN is 5YJYGDEE8LF0064xx, So it's showing standard

Yes, so it seems they are moving over to proper non-performance builds. My VIN ends in 0059XX and has an F as 8th digit.

Also 59XX with an F as the 8th digit. While we won't have any more power than other AWD Ys, I did read that performance motors are binned for higher performance and reliability. It's similar to how higher quality CPUs are binned at higher frequencies.

• Funny
Reactions: Matsayz
Also 59XX with an F as the 8th digit. While we won't have any more power than other AWD Ys, I did read that performance motors are binned for higher performance and reliability. It's similar to how higher quality CPUs are binned at higher frequencies.
I'd hate to pay performance insurance for non-performance performance, unless of course they can SW unlock so you have a true "Stealth"