Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 Got Wrecked Today :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was cruising along the i-90 tunnel in Seattle, WA on mercer island with my wife and 2 kids, when I hear some vehicles approach at high speed from behind. Then suddenly I hear a screeching sound from a car breaking hard, and then a car slams into my rear end - hard. I was going 65, so that vehicle must have been going significantly faster. From there I lose control of the car, and the car spins out of control, hitting the freeway divider wall all the way on the other side of the freeway 4 lanes across, and then bouncing back all the way back to the other side of the freeway and hitting that wall before coming to a stop.

Thankfully the model 3 performed miraculously, crumple zones compressed, airbags deployed, no fire after the accident, and no one in my family seems to be seriously injured.

Still processing what just happened and getting all the facts from the police (there may be a criminal case against the person who hit me), but any tips and things to watch out for as I go through the insurance process?

Glad you guys were OK. Car performed very well.

In absence of OPs confirmation, it does look like the Camaro is pulled off ahead, to the right side sandwiched between two State Trooper SUVs. So, I am guessing they did catch up with the at fault driver for those wondering...

OP, really glad you're OK regardless of circumstance.

Reactions: Amit519
In absence of OPs confirmation, it does look like the Camaro is pulled off ahead, to the right side sandwiched between two State Trooper SUVs. So, I am guessing they did catch up with the at fault driver for those wondering...
Let's not forget the driver in the BMW who participated in the street racing and ran off after the accident.
Both those pukes can pay their bills from jail.

Thankfully the model 3 performed miraculously, crumple zones compressed, airbags deployed, no fire after the accident, and no one in my family seems to be seriously injured.

Still processing what just happened and getting all the facts from the police (there may be a criminal case against the person who hit me), but any tips and things to watch out for as I go through the insurance process?
@anatari --> I placed an order for one like yours, but in red, on March 28. If you'd be interested in a red Model 3, mine will be available upon delivery. (Note: I'm on;y an hour up the road from Seattle.)

Are you hoping to profit from his misfortune ?
If not, I think the correct way to do this is to register the car in his name.

I see you are your typical tactful self, always looking for the negative in people.

Perhaps he just has a Model 3 he's willing to pass on at cost because he doesn't need the reservation anymore? I have considered offering the OP our reservation, because we now have two MS's and don't want the 3 at this time.

EDIT - and "upon delivery" you can register the car in someone besides the reservation holder's name. They just have to be present at delivery.

@anatari, a few hours ago, it looks like Elon retweeted the Electrek article that discusses your collision:

Electrek.Co on Twitter

musk_retweet.JPG

Your situation might have his attention?

First post but wanted to voice my opinion.
Glad your OK so far and no one in your family seem to be seriously hurt.

While the racers need to “Pay the Price” of making your side good and whatever incentive a judge determines, I hardly think YEARS in jail fit the crime. Hopefully the monetary hit and the little jail time they get will be enough to let them know how lucky they are and how worse this could have been. They should be thanking Tesla for making such a safe car that avoided them YEARS of jail time.

Think I’m being to lenient on them? How about this for perspective.

This same racer could just as well been any Tesla owner who has to show off to their friends Insane or Ludicrous mode.
Accelerating 0-60 in 2 point whatever seconds in a 5;000 pound car on public streets is a sure recipe for a tragedy.
It’s bound to happen, in some cases it already has. Two teens dying in one instance, others dying when they use AP as it is not intended as of yet. But Tesla promotes how fast their cars are and how eventually they will be full AP, yet idiotic Tesla owners push the limits of these vehicles, with lots of them posting their stupidity on social media. The AP death with the center medium where the guy had talked about how bad it was in that area yet he continued to use it boggles my mind. I had the chance to test it out a Model X AP for a few days this Spring and quickly found areas where it was not ready for prime time. Guess what? I didn’t use it in those instances again.

So be thankful your O.K., let them pay the price to make it right, and hopefully others can learn from and not make the same mistakes.
What? Be thankful?
You did see the baby seat the was up on the roof?
Racing on a public highway with so little regard for human life is unacceptable - road racers are a danger to those around them - just like drink drivers.
Automatic driving ban and automatic bunch of years of jail time isn't enough.

wow, that is exactly why I bought a Model 3 too! Go @tesla! Go @ElonMusk!

Was cruising along the i-90 tunnel in Seattle, WA on mercer island with my wife and 2 kids, when I hear some vehicles approach at high speed from behind. Then suddenly I hear a screeching sound from a car breaking hard, and then a car slams into my rear end - hard. I was going 65, so that vehicle must have been going significantly faster. From there I lose control of the car, and the car spins out of control, hitting the freeway divider wall all the way on the other side of the freeway 4 lanes across, and then bouncing back all the way back to the other side of the freeway and hitting that wall before coming to a stop.

@MnVikes

I respectfully disagree. Street racing, like drunk driving, is a choice. It’s known that both activities can and have killed others. A track is an appropriate place to race where you only risk your own life.

I believe street racing is worse than drunk driving. Drunk drivers have impaired judgement and likely believe they aren't as bad off as they really are. Street racers are choosing to do something incredibly stupid and dangerous without regard for the people around them. Unless they are also drunk, they are making this decisions with their full reasoning ability intact.

I believe street racing is worse than drunk driving. Drunk drivers have impaired judgement and likely believe they aren't as bad off as they really are. Street racers are choosing to do something incredibly stupid and dangerous without regard for the people around them. Unless they are also drunk, they are making this decisions with their full reasoning ability intact.
They made the choice to drive drunk before they started to drink.

This type of collision, whether by a drunk driver or a street racer, is reckless driving and aggravated assault.

• Disagree
Reactions: 0ptions
@anatari, it is good to know that you and your family survived a horrific collision due to street racing negligence. Depending on what financial situation you are in and what kind of convenience you are looking for, going after the Camaro driver can either be done by yourself at the expense of your time (here's an example), or request assistance from the professionals such as your auto insurance company and/or attorney that specializes in car accidents.

Do note that if you do use your own auto insurance, you'll probably run into limits as set in the linked example I gave you above, or even a premium rate raise, among other disadvantages. It might be an advantage to you to look into hiring an attorney if you're looking for compensation to cover medical bills and even a new Tesla Model 3, among other expenses accrued during all this ordeal that insurance companies love to cut corners on paying out for car damage. Car rental would probably be an issue if you want to get another Tesla Model 3, but hey, the driver's insurance company should be covering for your loss of use. Do note that the Camaro's auto insurance will most likely want to settle with you fast and cost them the least amount of money paid to you, but not necessarily bending over to your demands right away. Keep in mind that auto insurance companies are business driven, not for benevolent care for the other's well being. If you feel that you're getting nowhere with the Camaro's auto insurance company, do not be afraid to lawyer up. Make sure the lawyer can extract fees to cover their own cost so that you're not paying out of pocket for the lawyer.

As for getting another Tesla Model 3, if it hasn't happen yet, it'll be wise to take a chance at tweeting Elon Musk on Twitter to be expedited another Tesla Model 3 since it has been shown by a previous poster that Elon has seen your accident news online.

As for everybody's health, do a 1 week check up and then maybe a 2 week check up at the doctors to make sure that there are no hidden body damages.

Hope you get a nicer Tesla Model 3 out of this and your family doesn't have any major health issues.

@MnVikes

I respectfully disagree. Street racing, like drunk driving, is a choice. It’s known that both activities can and have killed others. A track is an appropriate place to race where you only risk your own life.

Disagree with what?

Street racing is bad, but so is drunk driving, distracted driving (with texting causing far more wrecks per year than street racing), and using Insane/Ludicrous mode on most streets. A drunk driver doesn’t spend Years in jail unless someone is killed. Are you ready to place anyone pulled over for texting while driving in jail for years even if they didn’t have an accident, yet?

I’m not sticking up for any of them other than pointing out a lot of people make knowingly poor choices while driving and you only spend years in jail if the result is a serious injury or death.

Is not Ludicrous mode a form of street racing?