Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Model X delivery nightmare continues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Following Terrible delivery experience: what to do next?

After 10 days of the the initial delivery attempt, 9 days after I made it clear that I'd like them to rebuild a car, and 3 days after I was promised an update with 24 hours via email, I finally got a phone call from their manager of delivery experience: if I'd like the car rebuilt, it won't come with free supercharging since it's going to be a new order and it's after the order cut-out time Jan 15th for free supercharging.

This is basically forcing me to take the vehicle that they previously built for me.

I argued that they had every opportunity to "make a new order" well before Jan 15th, the cut-out date...Then the manager was just saying that it took approvals etc so it's now Jan 19th.

This is ridiculous.

Updates to follow.

Reactions: Eclectic
I agree that that sounds ridiculous. You're not just now ordering the vehicle. You're ordering a replacement for a vehicle Tesla didn't build properly the first time.

If prices were higher now too, would they be charging you more?

I'd keep fighting for what you know is right.

Following Terrible delivery experience: what to do next?

After 10 days of the the initial delivery attempt, 9 days after I made it clear that I'd like them to rebuild a car, and 3 days after I was promised an update with 24 hours via email, I finally got a phone call from their manager of delivery experience: if I'd like the car rebuilt, it won't come with free supercharging since it's going to be a new order and it's after the order cut-out time Jan 15th for free supercharging.

This is basically forcing me to take the vehicle that they previously built for me.

I argued that they had every opportunity to "make a new order" well before Jan 15th, the cut-out date...Then the manager was just saying that it took approvals etc so it's now Jan 19th.

This is ridiculous.

Updates to follow.

Local news stations love these types of stories (i.e. companies screwing the little guy). Just sayin'.

• Disagree
Reactions: hollywood and xcell
All of the stuff in your initial post can be rectified with a third party detailer which most people need to do anyway for true paint correction if you are as detail oriented as you claim.

The rubber being loose can be taken care of too. I don't think this merits a rebuild.

I think you are being really unreasonable with the tires. Because it has gravel in it? Are you serious? This could've happened from driving the car to get an inspection or just moving it around the lot. It's going to get dusty the second you drive it home.

FYI - you can get a bottle of Iron-X for $20 and it should help remove the orange spots in the paint in a safe manner.

Amazon.com: Carpro Iron X Iron Remover 500 ml with Sprayer: Automotive

For white cars, Iron-X is a must. Anything Iron-X can't remove, a quick claybar will get it done.

Sucks that a brand new car requires work on your part, but I think at this point it'll just be easier to take care of the problem yourself.

Rebuild a car because of dirty tires, some paint imperfections and a rubber seal, all of which could be easily remedied? As mentioned, you could have already had a car that was fixed and fine. Now you want to roll the dice again. Unbelievable.
I'm not trying to roll the dice. I've never had the car. I refused to take it on the scene. They agreed to rebuild when I initially raised the concern and asked me to wait for an update.

Now they came back with the update saying that if I still want a rebuild, it won't come with free super charging... That's the part that was bothering me.

Reactions: Eclectic
The loss of free supercharging makes sense, since that was supposed to be cut off before Jan 1. The Jan 15th cut-off extension was a courtesy to those who couldn't order their cars in time. So from that perspective, you wouldn't have gotten free-supercharging on a re-order anyway.

From a programming perspective, it's much easier to say, all VINS before this # are free no matter what. Adjusting for exceptions would be a royal pain.

Considering that you would complain about gravel on the tires of a car (do you plan on only driving it indoors?!), I'm actually hoping you don't stay a Tesla customer.

The loss of free supercharging makes sense, since that was supposed to be cut off before Jan 1. The Jan 15th cut-off extension was a courtesy to those who couldn't order their cars in time. So from that perspective, you wouldn't have gotten free-supercharging on a re-order anyway.

From a programming perspective, it's much easier to say, all VINS before this # are free no matter what. Adjusting for exceptions would be a royal pain.

Considering that you would complain about gravel on the tires of a car (do you plan on only driving it indoors?!), I'm actually hoping you don't stay a Tesla customer.

Wow this is savage

From my point of view - and I have not received my MX yet - I would have rather let these issues fixed before going through all the hustle you mention. Actually I do expect some minor defects as the car is traveling from the W US coast to Europe... nevertheless, I understand that for this price tag one does not want to have ANY "issues"

Wow this is savage

Wow.

First, I don't understand why a reorder on Jan 9th would disqualify me from the unlimited free supercharging benefit. I don't understand your reasoning there.

Second, gravels on the tires of a new car is very different from gravels in the tire after I drive it.

If they treat this as a reorder, I'm happy to enjoy the 7-day cancellation policy and get my money back. However, they did not seem to treat it this way. They want to treat the car as if it's ordered today and my deposit as if the order was made three months back.

Wow.

First, I don't understand why a reorder on Jan 9th would disqualify me from the unlimited free supercharging benefit. I don't understand your reasoning there.

Second, gravels on the tires of a new car is very different from gravels in the tire after I drive it.

If they treat this as a reorder, I'm happy to enjoy the 7-day cancellation policy and get my money back. However, they did not seem to treat it this way. They want to treat the car as if it's ordered today and my deposit as if the order was made three months back.

Why is gravel on the tire of a new car any different than after? Makes no sense to me. Same dirt. The only difference is that they didn't wipe it down before you saw it. Whatever.

And yes, you are not going to be granted a 7 day cancellation. You confirmed an order and did not accept the car, you would otherwise have lost your deposit. I'm amazed they're going to let you reorder, but it should be locked and loaded and if you cancel again, you lose your deposit just like last time.

Wow.

What are you talking about with tires? Rubber is rubber and stone is stone. Do you think they lift that thing off the truck with the hammer of Thor or something?

Either way, I hope you eventually get your car

Why is gravel on the tire of a new car any different than after? Makes no sense to me. Same dirt.
Well, I meant "having gravels on the tires of a new car" is very different from "having gravels in the tire after I drive it". It's like when you're buying a notepad, you would not buy a notepad that has been written on. But once you have bought it, you can write whatever you want on the the notepad.

The only difference is that they didn't wipe it down before you saw it.
You're absolutely right about this.

When one buys a pre-owned car, the dealer would even try to make it look new. When I buy a new car, what is unreasonable about expecting it to be not just look new, but also actually new that's in a pristine condition?

Last edited:
I've bought 2 Teslas. I don't remember any issues with the first one, but the second one had a big piece of plastic in the frunk area that was defective. When I brought it to their attention they claimed it was unfortunate but they could not and would not fix it. I finally went to the regional service manager and got it taken care of. Above someone noted Tesla is not known for delivering "perfect" cars. I agree with this. No one should buy a Tesla for any reason except the electric aspect right now. AP is not worth much (in my opinion, and yes I'm in the minority) and the feel of the car is just not equal to what an ICE of similar price delivers. I love it because it uses zero gas, and that will always be why I'm glad I have it. I hope you're a fan of electric cars too, or ultimately I think you'll be disappointed in it.