Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on Autopilot - Observations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can step on the accelerator and overide it without disengaging AP. This is what I do all the time if AP is too slow or phantom braking, works great. This is also a way to let AP handle the steering while I control the speed by engaging AP at low speed say 20 mph. Works very well for winding roads even hair pins.

My biggest complaint, by far, is the stupid autosteer speed restrictions on freeway on/off ramps... I have stopped using the feature because I'm already tired of almost getting rear ended when exiting the freeway at 75 then having a phantom 35mph speed limit magically appear and the car thinking it should be speed restricted to that phantom number which causes rapid deceleration when you least expect it...

To me, and this is just my opinion and my opinion only, this is a completely useless feature and if this is the current state of AP development... Oh boy... FSD is years away at this point...

Tesla needs to do away with the speed restrictions on autosteer completely. The liability language is already there and it's ridiculous to impose these random phantom speed zones... I have several spots on different freeways here in the Bay Area where all of the sudden I can only go 5 over what the car thinks is the posted speed and then 1000 ft later, back to normal...

Jeff

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
You can step on the accelerator and overide it without disengaging AP. This is what I do all the time if AP is too slow or phantom braking, works great. This is also a way to let AP handle the steering while I control the speed by engaging AP at low speed say 20 mph. Works very well for winding roads even hair pins.

Yes I know this but that is a band-aid that also disables all of the emergency breaking systems.

Jeff

Have been trying NoA for the last couple days. Honestly it's terrifying to give so much control to the car but it does what it's supposed to do. Agree that merges are very timid. Honestly I'm overall amazed how well it works. I've only had my Model 3 for about 10 days and am still marveling at how advanced this thing is.

NoA is great except for one major thing I’m experiencing. It slows down rather abruptly on the freeway if it sees a car in the lane it’s suggesting, as if to get in behind it. Not good on a freeway with cars behind you. I’ve switched from mad max mode to average since it’s asking me to change lanes a lot, seemingly arbitrarily. I’m ok with my follow speed being reducing for a time while I’m behind a slightly slower car. There doesn’t seem to be a way to dismiss the suggested lane change either. Also, AP changed my Max speed down randomly a few times despite there being no change in speed limit while promoting me to change lanes. This is puzzling because the first night I tested NoA, it showed non of these traits. I’ve rebooted and checked cameras for debris as well just in case. Seems the ubrupt slowing for a lane change is consistent with other people’s experiences.

I have no doubt it will get better and now we have a measuring stick in the mud to measure against and improve upon.

Safe driving.

Sharing a few observations after more Nav on AP testing here in Florida.

1) The NoA features are working very reliably on our 3D with release 42.4 software.

2) I like how the software automatically determines where NoA is available and safe to use. So far it's been available for use on interstates and some (not all) divided streets and highways.

3) The bright blue button on the navigation sub-menu makes it easy to see when NoA is available and engaged.

4) The system automatically switches from NoA back to normal AP/TACC mode when exiting an active NoA roadway. This capability makes for a pretty seamless driving experience here in our area.

5) The daytime highway traffic volume in this area is usually medium to heavy. The system is right at home driving the car in busy 3-4 lane traffic.

6) Have noticed several examples of good autopilot behavior as other vehicles start merging into the highway from the right while I'm driving in the right lane and approaching the merge area. The system can apparently see the merging car on the right and slows the 3D down a bit to allow the merging vehicle enough room for a safe merge.

7) Suggested lane changes seem to work much better in Mad Max mode. The lane changes take too long to start when using the other modes.

8) General lane keeping function has been very reliable, smooth and accurate so far. This really helps build confidence to use the system regularly. Lane changes are also smooth and accurate. Impressive for sure.

9) Sure wish the nags were less common at highway speeds. Nags duration seems more reasonable at slower speeds.

This is our first Tesla. While I also love driving the car by hand, the automation was a big reason why we joined the Tesla family. Expectations were high and no disappointments so far!

Is there a way to mute the navigation voice without having to turn the volume all the way down? On my daily commute NoA is most helpful by suggesting lane changes to pass slower moving traffic. Since getting my Model 3 and using TACC I find I've become complacent with just sitting behind slower moving traffic - probably because the car is managing it for me, I don't really realize I've slowed down as much as I have. So having it suggesting passing people is great, telling me every single turn to get to work/home is less helpful :)

I haven't gotten to try the auto-off ramp yet since there is construction on both ends and I barely trust myself not to hit one on of the orange barrels that, I swear, are rearranging themselves throughout the day and overnight.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Believe it or not it seems as if nav on AP knows the next turn you have to make after an exit and will slow down significantly on the ramp if you don’t take control. I obviously stopped it completely but when you get it you will know what I mean. If it is getting you off on a ramp that goes to some kind of hard turn it seems like it knows.
In my experience on multiple off ramps, some with sharp curves at the end, some straight all the way, Nav on AP will slow the car almost to a stop near the end of the ramp on both types of ramps.

The bright blue button on the navigation sub-menu makes it easy to see when NoA is available and engaged.
When that button is blue that only means that Nav on AP will be enabled on the parts of your route where the car decides it is appropriate and then only when you have already enabled AP. Just because that button is blue does not necessarily mean that Nav on AP is enabled/active.

I thought it was suggesting I move to left lane for no reason at times. Now realize it suggests moving to left lane if there is an upcoming on ramp with potential traffic entering the hwy. nice.

Oh, so that’s what it’s doing. I’ll have to watch for that. Thx.

I find it wants to move to right lane for exit too late. Within last mile. Increasing the chance of a merge conflict that it doesn’t handle well. I wish it would move over around 2 miles out. There should be setting for how early you like to move over.

Sometimes NOA suggests lane change when there is clearly a car impeding a lane change at that moment. I know it won’t move until safe, but does anyone know if by me confirming the change if the turn single flashes or stays on, potentially confusing or scaring the driver , and any directly behind him, next to me at that moment? Or does the blinker hold off flashing until it’s actually safe to begin changing lanes?

Sometimes NOA suggests lane change when there is clearly a car impeding a lane change at that moment. I know it won’t move until safe, but does anyone know if by me confirming the change if the turn single flashes or stays on, potentially confusing or scaring the driver , and any directly behind him, next to me at that moment? Or does the blinker hold off flashing until it’s actually safe to begin changing lanes?

My experience was that I thought I had enough clearance to safely make a lane change, but when I confirmed a lane change I had a red line show up and the car did not make the lane change until the red line disappeared a second or two later.

My turn signal did not flash until red line disappeared indicating it was safe for a lane change.

Reactions: ksb467 and mswlogo
I find it uses turn signals too often at inappropiate times. Like it always signals where it thinks there is a fork in the road according to the map data, even when you're in a physically separated lane with no choice of direction. I worry it's confusing drivers behind me since they think I'm trying to change lanes, and there's no way to stop it.

Does regular (old) AP work without NoA? I just drove from LA to SF and tried numerous times to initiate AP, but could not. (I used AP on the same route 6 months ago.) So, I had to drive I-5 on TACC only.

I wasn't really interested in NoA, so had not enabled it at the start of the trip, but thought that might be a problem. So, at next coffee break, I enabled the NoA sw, but still, no AP with a double click down.

Suggestions?

Does regular (old) AP work without NoA? I just drove from LA to SF and tried numerous times to initiate AP, but could not. (I used AP on the same route 6 months ago.) So, I had to drive I-5 on TACC only.

I wasn't really interested in NoA, so had not enabled it at the start of the trip, but thought that might be a problem. So, at next coffee break, I enabled the NoA sw, but still, no AP with a double click down.

Suggestions?

Even with it enabled you have the manually select to use it for each trip you take, so regular EAP should work fine regardless of it being enabled or not.