Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning on taking a trip to visit my folks with my Model S next summer. I may plan on a visit, if that ends up working. Thanks for helping bridge the challenging charging landscape in that area.
May I ask where you are going on your trip? I ask because I am curious, because I have made some excursions away from the SC grid, and I would like to think how I would do your trip if I had to.

May I ask where you are going on your trip? I ask because I am curious, because I have made some excursions away from the SC grid, and I would like to think how I would do your trip if I had to.

Thanks for asking: I would be traveling from the Boston, MA area to Thedford, Nebraska (north of North Platte, on Highway 2). I could take the I-90 route, then head south from Murdo, but I'd rather stay south and do I-70 (or, if I'm lucky, I-80)

View attachment 170849

The HPWC has been installed. It's available to anyone who needs a charge. We just ask that anyone who uses it pays for the electricity. $2.50/hour with a max fee of $10.

We have it listed on PlugShare.

We're looking forward to stopping by for a bit of a charge going from Holdrege, NE to Council Bluffs. We'll be by on Sunday, May 29th. Hope that works for you.

I'm hoping they get started on the I-80 Superchargers soon. I have an S on order but have delayed delivery since there's no easy way for me to visit relatives in Kearney. Coming from the Denver metro area, it could be possible via I-70 instead of I-76 but it would be a long detour through Goodland or Hays. There are a few J1772 chargers in Kearney but I'm hoping I'll be able to charge on my father's 240v dryer outlet.

Once they start building out I-80 and I-76, it will be easy to make the trip via Sterling and North Platte.

Peru, IL just went online yesterday. Hopefully that's a sign that they'll start moving west on I-80 this summer.

I've delayed my delivery a few months since it would be difficult for me to get across Nebraska without Superchargers. My father is getting a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed today so I won't have to borrow his dryer outlet after all. :)

Peru, IL just went online yesterday. Hopefully that's a sign that they'll start moving west on I-80 this summer.

I've delayed my delivery a few months since it would be difficult for me to get across Nebraska without Superchargers. My father is getting a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed today so I won't have to borrow his dryer outlet after all. :)
If you stay overnight in Lincoln, the WunderRoost B&B has a 14-50. I stay there fairly regularly.

They have a site in Coralville, IA which will more or less complete I-80 eastward from Council Bluffs. Tesla is known to have been looking for sites in Ogallala or North Platte, so they are probably working on a couple locations in the section from Kearney through Lincoln as well.

I think Kearney has a pretty good-sized substation near I-80 (next to Casey's General Store), so there should be plenty of power available there. Grand Island is I think the 3rd largest city in Nebraska (behind Omaha and LIncoln), so it would be a good choice too.

I think Kearney has a pretty good-sized substation near I-80 (next to Casey's General Store), so there should be plenty of power available there. Grand Island is I think the 3rd largest city in Nebraska (behind Omaha and LIncoln), so it would be a good choice too.
I know the 2016 map isn't set in stone but it looks to me like they would put them in Sidney, North Platte and Grand Island, skipping Ogallala and Kearney. I think Ogallala would be to close to Sidney and Sterling. Hopefully we'll find out for sure this summer.

It's really great to see Coralville, IA get on the I-80 plan. Hoping to see Nebraska next. I'd vote for Grand Island and North Platte. That would make a convenient 150 mile distance from Council Bluffs, IA to GI to NP. Moving Westward, Sidney is a great stopping spot (Cabelas) and would be a perfect SC location. After Sidney, it's a short hop to Cheyenne, WY where there is already a SC. C'mon Tesla ... make it happen.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
It's really great to see Coralville, IA get on the I-80 plan. Hoping to see Nebraska next. I'd vote for Grand Island and North Platte. That would make a convenient 150 mile distance from Council Bluffs, IA to GI to NP. Moving Westward, Sidney is a great stopping spot (Cabelas) and would be a perfect SC location. After Sidney, it's a short hop to Cheyenne, WY where there is already a SC. C'mon Tesla ... make it happen.
With IA permits on the supercharge.info map, does anyone have some solid news on NE I-80 plans? Anyone have the scoop on what city planners in the potential cites might be approving (or not)?

Based on the recent news from the Ruby Tuesdays restaurant chain, and their allusion to more Tesla superchargers showing up at their restaurant locations - I'll just point out that there is a Ruby Tuesday restaurant in North Platte NE, Grand Island NE, and Kearney NE. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some of these locations get superchargers.

Based on the recent news from the Ruby Tuesdays restaurant chain, and their allusion to more Tesla superchargers showing up at their restaurant locations - I'll just point out that there is a Ruby Tuesday restaurant in North Platte NE, Grand Island NE, and Kearney NE. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some of these locations get superchargers.
Yep, in my opinion, those are the key cities in Nebraska and would REALLY be nice to see some activity around Ruby Tuesday's national push for Tesla SC locations. Grand Island's Ruby Tuesday's location is a ways off the Interstate, but North Platte and Kearney wouldn't be bad at all. I'd like to see the Grand Island Holiday Inn on I-80 be that location.