Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need AutoPilot AutoHonk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess you need to get the electronic countermeasures package for that with multiple levels of horn assertiveness culminating in the option for a targeted EMP :)

I've saved myself from accidents with the horn by preventing someone not paying attention from merge onto me. It helps to have a loud/assertive two-tone horn that combines both low and high frequency sound.

107% of all times people use their horn is not for any safety reason, but to 'yell' at the other person. I cannot remember a single time in my life where someone honking at me helped safety in any way. I think car's should be equipped with a mood sensor. If the driver is angry and upset, the horn should be disabled. I'm not kidding.

107% of all times people use their horn is not for any safety reason, but to 'yell' at the other person. I cannot remember a single time in my life where someone honking at me helped safety in any way. I think car's should be equipped with a mood sensor. If the driver is angry and upset, the horn should be disabled. I'm not kidding.

Yelling and helping can, at times, be the same thing.

I admit I have failed to notice a car in the blind spot a time or two and the hor kept me from continuing into that lane which would have been a collision unless they veered out.

But I'm sure there were some colorful words in that case too, and I've done the same on the receiving end, and you are surely right that yelling is often involved.

There have been a number of occasions where someone tried to change lanes in to me and I used my horn to point out I was there. In several cases it stopped them - in others they kept going and only dodging with steering or brakes stopped a collision.

I think having Autopilot sound the horn in cases of severe lane intrusion is perfectly reasonable, and might prevent accidents.
Walter

Last edited:

I'll help you... 107% of all times people use their horn more than 300 milliseconds is not for any safety reason. As noted above, there are times I have caught the attention of someone who didn't see me.

I'll help you... 107% of all times people use their horn more than 300 milliseconds is not for any safety reason. As noted above, there are times I have caught the attention of someone who didn't see me.
Here's one to knock that 107% down to 99.97%: A few years ago, one of the off-ramps on my area was reconfigured to have a roundabout at the end. The driver in front was bound and determined to make a left turn (I'm supposing an unupdated GPS was insisting on it) to go against the flow in the roundabout despite the traffic island. It took me and the semi behind me both laying into our horns followed by wild gesticulation to get the driver to notice all of the one-way signage.

Who needs a horn...reminded me of an early James Bond car!

bond car.PNG