TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Need AutoPilot AutoHonk

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by tstafford, Nov 2, 2015.

1. tstafford

tstafford Member

Driving with AP Lanekeeping on and another driver started to drift in to my lane while right next to me. Made me think - need AutoHonk!

:wink:

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Hah! I can see the AutoHonk loudness settings now:

Gentle Reminder

Get Their Attention

Insanely Loud

3. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Train Horn

4. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing last week when someone veered into my lane because trying to touch the horn hard enough made autosteer disengage.

5. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

I guess you need to get the electronic countermeasures package for that with multiple levels of horn assertiveness culminating in the option for a targeted EMP :)

I've saved myself from accidents with the horn by preventing someone not paying attention from merge onto me. It helps to have a loud/assertive two-tone horn that combines both low and high frequency sound.

6. Terra117

Terra117 Member

I'd label Horn dB Levels:

Comfort

Sport

Ludicrous

Since I have only a P85D, perhaps the last one should be 11.

7. David99

David99 Active Member

107% of all times people use their horn is not for any safety reason, but to 'yell' at the other person. I cannot remember a single time in my life where someone honking at me helped safety in any way. I think car's should be equipped with a mood sensor. If the driver is angry and upset, the horn should be disabled. I'm not kidding.

8. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Member

Yelling and helping can, at times, be the same thing.

I admit I have failed to notice a car in the blind spot a time or two and the hor kept me from continuing into that lane which would have been a collision unless they veered out.

But I'm sure there were some colorful words in that case too, and I've done the same on the receiving end, and you are surely right that yelling is often involved.

9. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

#9 Saghost, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    There have been a number of occasions where someone tried to change lanes in to me and I used my horn to point out I was there. In several cases it stopped them - in others they kept going and only dodging with steering or brakes stopped a collision.

I think having Autopilot sound the horn in cases of severe lane intrusion is perfectly reasonable, and might prevent accidents.
    Walter

10. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I'll help you... 107% of all times people use their horn more than 300 milliseconds is not for any safety reason. As noted above, there are times I have caught the attention of someone who didn't see me.

11. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Ludicrous Loud :)

12. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I like the idea, if implemented well. It could otherwise be completely annoying. Like my lane departure, which falses every day for me.

13. physicsfita

physicsfita Member

Here's one to knock that 107% down to 99.97%: A few years ago, one of the off-ramps on my area was reconfigured to have a roundabout at the end. The driver in front was bound and determined to make a left turn (I'm supposing an unupdated GPS was insisting on it) to go against the flow in the roundabout despite the traffic island. It took me and the semi behind me both laying into our horns followed by wild gesticulation to get the driver to notice all of the one-way signage.

14. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Who needs a horn...reminded me of an early James Bond car!

bond car.PNG

15. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Or maybe:

Loud
    Insanely Loud
    Ludicrously Loud
    :)