Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help: I put a deposit on Jan 15 to receive free supercharging for life, But not getting it...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As others have said, if you're set on getting an X instead of an S, there are plenty of Inventory and CPO cars available which would still qualify for unlimited supercharging.

I'm pretty sure I've read it somewhere that CPO cars don't qualify since they are coming through Tesla and you could kind of consider them newish. 2nd hand via used market and not CPO via Tesla will qualify though.

Are there even any CPO or Inventory AP2 Model X's?

I would take AP2 w/o FLSC (free lifetime super chargining) than AP1 with FLSC.
Yes. They've had them since late October. The inventory listings are constantly changing so some days there could be dozens, other days, there are none. There are often big changes in available inventory at the end of a quarter.

Ahh.. I had every reason to think that EV-CPO was comprehensive. How is the data being sourced differently for differing accuracy results?

Yes, it's different. EV-CPO only records and publishes cars that are, or were previously, listed on Tesla's public New Inventory (Buy a new Tesla today | Tesla) or Pre-Owned (Pre-Owned Model S | Tesla) websites. The "list of all P100D inventory cars" was generated by using a brute-force method to discover all VINs on Tesla's site, regardless if they were listed on Tesla's public sites. It's a somewhat controversial distinction that's been hashed out elsewhere (and doesn't need to be rehashed again ;) )

Jan 15 was the last day you could buy a Tesla to receive free supercharging for life.
So, on the 15th, I went to a dealer and placed a $2500 deposit for Tesla S right after a test drive.
Unfortunately, I did not have time to test drive Tesla X that day. So, I went home as the owner advisor told me I still have 7 days to make any changes I want without penalty.
The next day, on the 16th, I went back to the same dealer and test drove Tesla X and
decided to go with Tesla X. But, the owner advisor told me that they cannot give me a free supercharging for life any longer
because I am switching my order from S to X, and the offer expired on the 15th. I told him that he should have told me that on the 15th.
If I knew, I would have put two deposits, one for each and make a decision in 7 days.

Is there anything I can do so that they make an exception in my case? I really want an X but would rather cancel
this order
if they do not include the free supercharging offer. I am so excited to find the perfect car for my family, yet
pissed off as they are going to take away this offer. Any suggestion from anyone?
Keep in mind that all the used Model X available for sale still has unlimited free supercharging.

I really want an X but would rather cancel
this order if they do not include the free supercharging offer.
That sounds like a gross over-reaction.

Just how much do you think the free SC for life is worth ? If you are a typical car owner who charges at home for ~ 90% of miles and you put say 15,000 miles a year on the car, the free SC option saves you 1,500 miles of SC cost miles before the 1000 free miles given every buyer.

Net, you pay for 500 miles a year. Perhaps $25 ?

Last edited:
That sounds like a gross over-reaction.

Just how much do you think the free SC for life is worth ? If you are a typical car owner who charges at home for ~ 90% of miles and you put say 15,000 miles a year on the car, the free SC option saves you 1,500 miles of SC cost miles before the 1000 free miles given every buyer.

Net, you pay for 500 miles a year. Perhaps $25 ?

If you live in a city such as SF or LA and don't have at-home charging due to being in an HOA, Condo, Apartment- but still want a Tesla, then most fueling would need to be at a SuperCharger. This will be key to the Model 3 sales profile where lower-cost cars are sold more to a wider-range customer base. Those who thought they might get a Model 3 with "free fuel for life" will need to factor in the SC network pricing into their future personal economic model. Cheaper than gasoline, possibly half the price, if fuel must always be done at the SC network for an apartment dweller or condo owner with an HOA not allowing custom electrical work. I always have to think about the fact that "the world does not work in the same manner as my own personal experience".

The free supercharger access also affects re-sale values and is an implicit economic feature of the car.

If you live in a city such as SF or LA and don't have at-home charging due to being in an HOA, Condo, Apartment- but still want a Tesla, then most fueling would need to be at a SuperCharger. This will be key to the Model 3 sales profile where lower-cost cars are sold more to a wider-range customer base. Those who thought they might get a Model 3 with "free fuel for life" will need to factor in the SC network pricing into their future personal economic model. Cheaper than gasoline, possibly half the price, if fuel must always be done at the SC network for an apartment dweller or condo owner with an HOA not allowing custom electrical work. I always have to think about the fact that "the world does not work in the same manner as my own personal experience".

The free supercharger access also affects re-sale values and is an implicit economic feature of the car.
Absolutely, and well said. In OP's case though, Palo Alto and a Model X sounds more like a house dweller.

Reactions: diesel

Considering that the OP didn't even test drive until the very last day of the extended offer, leaving no time for a test drive of an X & wasn't sure of what vehicle he wanted, I'm going to hazard a guess here that he didn't go to this level on calculations or consideration.

Your points are valid, it's just that I doubt they apply in this particular case.

Maybe it's just me...? But I understood that it was "free long-distance travel" not "free Supercharging if you live in a condo"?

Most residential EV owners have to install their own personal charging infrastructure and not rely on a nearby Supercharger. Further to that I would think that when I'm on a road trip (the intended use of a Supercharger) that the stalls aren't full of local condo owners charging their Teslas. If anything they should be petitioning their condo boards or associations for common charging stations which are relatively simple for most associations to add.

I sit on a condo-board and have discussed future charging installations for the building as more people buy electric cars and this will be important to the residents.

My OA indicated that orders needed to be confirmed by January 15th, so orders really needed to be placed on January 8th to confirm by the 15th. I would double check that as well.

As long as the deposit was placed by Jan 15, free supercharging is included. Even though you have the ability to change and cancel the order for 7 days, it is confirmed. In 2014, you could short cut the 7 day waiting period by hitting a confirm button after which no changes could be made. That button doesn't exist. I ordered my Model S 90D to replace my S85 on the 13th and my OA confirmed I qualify for free Supercharging.

Maybe it's just me...? But I understood that it was "free long-distance travel" not "free Supercharging if you live in a condo"?

Most residential EV owners have to install their own personal charging infrastructure and not rely on a nearby Supercharger. Further to that I would think that when I'm on a road trip (the intended use of a Supercharger) that the stalls aren't full of local condo owners charging their Teslas. If anything they should be petitioning their condo boards or associations for common charging stations which are relatively simple for most associations to add.

I sit on a condo-board and have discussed future charging installations for the building as more people buy electric cars and this will be important to the residents.

If you go back to the earlier days, such as 2013, you will never really see the terms "long-distance travel only" used. And I would have to wonder how many in-person discussions between potential buyers and Tesla sales associates included "and you can fill up for free at the superchargers any time you want". I like that it is finally becoming clear that there is an expense to running a fueling network and this puts it out front. But see how this article below reads going back to 2013.

Free fuel for the rest of your life

If you go back to the earlier days, such as 2013, you will never really see the terms "long-distance travel only" used.

It was clear on Sept 25, 2012 that the Supercharger network was for free long-distance travel. The text says it, Elon repeatedly says it (check around 8:45 for one example), the use cases they talk about say it, etc.

There was a lot of noise after that, a lot of confusion generated by various articles (remember how they consistently confused Model X and Model 3?). So I agree there was a lot of confusion - but I understood it was for long-distance travel from the beginning, as did most people who were there.

So while I agree there was confusion, I disagree that the terminology of 'long distance travel' was not used and that the intent of the network was not established from the beginning.

It was clear on Sept 25, 2012 that the Supercharger network was for free long-distance travel. The text says it, Elon repeatedly says it (check around 8:45 for one example), the use cases they talk about say it, etc.

There was a lot of noise after that, a lot of confusion generated by various articles (remember how they consistently confused Model X and Model 3?). So I agree there was a lot of confusion - but I understood it was for long-distance travel from the beginning, as did most people who were there.

So while I agree there was confusion, I disagree that the terminology of 'long distance travel' was not used and that the intent of the network was not established from the beginning.

It really seemed that the overall feeling of "long distance travel" was that "now, a BEV can go long-distance like an ICE" and not be tethered to a local radius and home-charging. It was more like "BEV is HERE and VIABLE and includes free fuel too". Yes, we all know Tesla does use (sometimes) hazy language in order to actually cause this level of confusion. For example, Q2 ER on July 31, 2014 where they said that they wanted to exit 2014 with a "production and demand rate of an annualized 100,000 per year". The press wrote "Tesla to produce 100,000 cars in 2015. They didn't dispute this in any way. This also became somewhat of an issue with the "500,000 unit build plan" where some felt it was to build car #500,000 in the year 2018 and others saw 500,000 production in the year 2018. I still can't figure out which one will come to pass. Good management "always keeps them guessing". And in stock market terms, the sell-side analysts love it.

Tesla Production Projected to be 100,000 Units in 2016; Possibly 800,000 by 2020? - Inside EVs
TESLA DELIVERS

If they build 100,000 in 2017 and 190,000 in 2018 then car #500,000 may still not appear until 2019. But the hope is that Fremont can deliver.

It really seemed that the overall feeling of "long distance travel" was that "now, a BEV can go long-distance like an ICE" and not be tethered to a local radius and home-charging. It was more like "BEV is HERE and VIABLE and includes free fuel too". Yes, we all know Tesla does use (sometimes) hazy language in order to actually cause this level of confusion. For example, Q2 ER on July 31, 2014 where they said that they wanted to exit 2014 with a "production and demand rate of an annualized 100,000 per year". The press wrote "Tesla to produce 100,000 cars in 2015. They didn't dispute this in any way. This also became somewhat of an issue with the "500,000 unit build plan" where some felt it was to build car #500,000 in the year 2018 and others saw 500,000 production in the year 2018. I still can't figure out which one will come to pass. Good management "always keeps them guessing". And in stock market terms, the sell-side analysts love it.

Tesla Production Projected to be 100,000 Units in 2016; Possibly 800,000 by 2020? - Inside EVs
TESLA DELIVERS

If they build 100,000 in 2017 and 190,000 in 2018 then car #500,000 may still not appear until 2019. But the hope is that Fremont can deliver.

I'm not going to rehash this here, there are plenty of threads that have done that already. :)

I only wanted to supply the context that those of us who were around in 2012 (or at least all the folks I knew), believed it to be for long-distance travel at the time it was announced - in contrast to your statement that it wasn't clear at the beginning.

If you go back to the earlier days, such as 2013, you will never really see the terms "long-distance travel only" used. And I would have to wonder how many in-person discussions between potential buyers and Tesla sales associates included "and you can fill up for free at the superchargers any time you want". I like that it is finally becoming clear that there is an expense to running a fueling network and this puts it out front. But see how this article below reads going back to 2013.

Free fuel for the rest of your life
Nope. It was clearly free long distance/roadtrips from the start in 2012. The local use was added afterwards somewhere in 2015 (it was to address large cities like London, Shanghai, Hong Kong where it is not practical to install home charging).
I quote Tesla as a first party source here:
Supercharging - Elon's statement that Daily Supercharging Users are Receiving Notes