Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 quotes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thinking about hiring someone to install a NEMA 14-50 in my garage where my panel box is located and wanting to get a ball park idea what I should be expecting to pay. I've heard don't use the tesla recommendations... I'm in the Tacoma Washington area

Do it yourself, watch you tube videos, I did mine in one hour, they tell u exactly how, and what.
Cost under $100.
List, 14.50 box at home depot $50. Roll of 8.3 wire 25, double 50 amp breaker 25. Your HD might more or less .
Quick , decide on close place to breaker box, wire outlet box, mount it, run wire to CB box . Turn off main house power, if you can pull meter do it. Install breaker, run red wire to one side, black to other side, green and white go to same bus.
This is not rocket science, very easy if breaker box is in garage.
Good luck.

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
Do it yourself, watch you tube videos, I did mine in one hour, they tell u exactly how, and what.
Cost under $100.
List, 14.50 box at home depot $50. Roll of 8.3 wire 25, double 50 amp breaker 25. Your HD might more or less .
Quick , decide on close place to breaker box, wire outlet box, mount it, run wire to CB box . Turn off main house power, if you can pull meter do it. Install breaker, run red wire to one side, black to other side, green and white go to same bus.
This is not rocket science, very easy if breaker box is in garage.
Good luck.

YouTube link that you used?

Hire someone unless you really know what you are doing. Should be $500 or less for a short run like that.

@Lasttoy hope you didn't use 8/3 cable. For continuous draw @ 40 amps and to be code compliant you need 6/4 even if tesla doesn't use one of the cables. It also will need permits and inspections

You Also need to see if your panel will both physically(space for two pole breaker) and capacity wise(additional 40 amps) support the additional load.

If not a service upgrade will run $2000+

You bought at least a 50k car. Spend the 1% and hire someone to not burn down your property.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I was quoted close to $1,000 from the Tesla recommended electrical companies. I asked the facility maintenance folks at the company I work at and they said it should be no more than 200-300 bucks when done by a certified electrician.

I had a certified electrician do a similar installation in my garage and it was about $300 including hardware. Install was in garage about 6 feet from panel, however he had to fish all the wiring inside wall to get it to my preferred location.

Hire someone unless you really know what you are doing. Should be $500 or less for a short run like that.

@Lasttoy hope you didn't use 8/3 cable. For continuous draw @ 40 amps and to be code compliant you need 6/4 even if tesla doesn't use one of the cables. It also will need permits and inspections

You Also need to see if your panel will both physically(space for two pole breaker) and capacity wise(additional 40 amps) support the additional load.

If not a service upgrade will run $2000+

You bought at least a 50k car. Spend the 1% and hire someone to not burn down your property.

Clarification: should be 6/3 (the 3 is the number of insulated conductors, NM-B has an uninsulated ground wire also, 4 conductors total. Also requires protection from physical damage)

My bad, didn't ch my writing. It was6.3 red, black, green, white, 50 amp breaker. I only had to go 6 feet. In florida we dont do permits and inspections when done by owner. But it is in code. Its really hard to screw up if not far to go, you put red and black in correct spot. But it can be scary if you are not a geek.

i paid about 2gs to do mine but it was a 75 foot run with some trenching and I added and extra fuse disconnect in the garage for my own piece of mind. I had an entire thread on it somewhere. If mine was in there garage already (like most homes) I woulda done it myself, its really not that hard as Lasttoy says

Reactions: Keith909man
If your panel is surface mounted this job is a piece of cake. I did my NEMA 14-50 on my garage panel for like $30 in material, my High Power Wall connector in the driveway was $40 for the permit and $200 in material this was run from my panel under my house and through the wall for a completely hidden install. My run was a total of 70 feet. Depending on the run the electrician is going to use between $30 and $250 in material. The rest is labor. My electrician charges me $50 per hour for jobs I need his help with. He didn’t help me on either of those two so I got away with material cost. Hope this helps.

Depends on location of the circuit breakers and the NEMA 14-50. Mine is on the garage wall directly behind the outdoor circuit breaker panel, so there was minimal distance. The 50 Amp RV connection box with included NEMA 14-50 is about $28 at Lowe's. Total cost with wire, circuit breaker, and electrician labor was $180. Expect to pay more if permits are required by the electrician.

Get 3+ quotes and for the non tesla shops just ask for a Nema 14-50 with a 50 amp breaker and 6awg wire. Try to avoid letting them know it’s for a tesla if you can to avoid the markup.

I had 2 tesla recommended shops quote $1,500 - $2k for a 30 ft run with plenty of room in the 200 amp panel. Then had 2 licensed electricians both quote $4-500. I ended up doing it myself for under $200 in materials and pulled a permit with my municipality and had it inspected. If you are not 100% certain of what you are doing, don’t risk it.

I also installed a 14-50 at my in-laws right next to the panel in their garage for destination charging when we visit. That install was incredibly simple and much less expensive (just needed the breaker, box and outlet as I had the 1-2’ of wire leftover from my install)

For your install I’d say $200 would be reasonable for a licensed electrician.

I was quoted close to $1,000 from the Tesla recommended electrical companies. I asked the facility maintenance folks at the company I work at and they said it should be no more than 200-300 bucks when done by a certified electrician.

Yeah, having "Tesla" in the quote probably doubles the price.

We called in our regular electrician (used them before). I had them install my HPWC and a 14-50 (to have more flexibility/room for expansion/guest accommodation), with separate breakers, of course, right by the box. Total cost: $500. (Colorado, no permit needed.) @Keith909man's mileage may vary.

Reactions: JPUConn