Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 quotes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have said this a few times before in these 14-50 threads. If you're uncomfortable around a breaker box, do the hardest part yourself (running the wire) and just have an electrician make the final connections. If the wires are in-place it shouldn't take more than a half hour to connect the wires to the outlet and breaker (assuming there's room in your panel for the 50A breaker). So travel time plus 30 minutes is your cost. Problem is, finding an electrician willing to make the visit for such a small job.

If you use 6/3 NM-B and have it in conduit if outside of walls you should be good. Rule of thumb is that wires can't be exposed below a certain height. Above that height (garage ceiling for example) doesn't need to be in conduit.

Here's my install at my vacation rental home. Hardest part was drilling through the frame.

105974.jpg

If I can borrow your Tesla, I will do it.
thinking about hiring someone to install a NEMA 14-50 in my garage where my panel box is located and wanting to get a ball park idea what I should be expecting to pay. I've heard don't use the tesla recommendations... I'm in the Tacoma Washington area

I am a new Tesla 100 S buyer, delivery in June.
A quote for a NEMA 14-50 installation from a reliable electrician in Napa, CA = $1,800. Circuit breaker box work, fuse, conduit and wiring. Plus I need to have a City of Napa permit.
There is zero chance I will do this by watching a YouTube video. Waaaay too dangerous in my neophyte hands.
We plan to try slow charging on our house 110V at 7-11 miles/hr, find a local high capacity charger if we need a faster charge. Is this realistic?

A quote for a NEMA 14-50 installation from a reliable electrician in Napa, CA = $1,800. Circuit breaker box work, fuse, conduit and wiring. Plus I need to have a City of Napa permit.
There is zero chance I will do this by watching a YouTube video. Waaaay too dangerous in my neophyte hands.
We plan to try slow charging on our house 110V at 7-11 miles/hr, find a local high capacity charger if we need a faster charge. Is this realistic?
If you are charging from a 120 volt 15 amp outlet you will get about 3 or 4 miles per hour not 7. See the NEMA 5-15 numbers on this page.
Home Charging Installation

Get at least 2 or 3 quotes and then pay the money to do it right. NEMA 14-50 outlet is the right way to do it.

If you want to get fancy install the Tesla Wall Connector ( more robust, heavy duty cord, looks cool )

I have a NEMA 5-20 plug in my garage and bought the corresponding UMC dongle. I charge at a rate of 6 miles to the hour. This allows for about 90 miles of charge per night, so it really depends on how much you drive. Should I come back from a longer trip, it could very well take multiple days to get back to max charge. My daily commute is about 30 miles round trip, and even when drawing significantly more juice due to cold weather, etc, I have no issues fully charging each and every night.

My plan was to utilize this setup while waiting for my signature wall chargers to arrive. However, including trenching, this installation was going to run about $4,000. At that price, I may very well wait until we buy a second Tesla before doing the install.

One caveat, is that if you have two Teslas, even if you have 20 amp service to the garage, each UMC would have to be manually set to 50% draw (3 MPH charge). There is no teaming like with wall chargers. At that rate, the speed may be prohibitive.

i've got all of the parts needed to install and wire 40 foot NEMA 14-50 run for $135. asking buddy to help me run cable through attic and will avoid conduit due to cable being romex. i've already had various tools needed to check live wires, dry wall cutting/patching as part of living in a house :)

I suggest getting a quote from two other electricians. Prices vary a lot, as you can see right here in this thread.

Also ask if installing a 14-30 or even 6-20 outlet would be significantly less expensive. Both are 240 V and can charge at 24 A and 16 A respectively. They are way better than 120 V charging, and fast enough for overnight charging unless you have a crazy long commute of 150-200 miles per day. If this avoids the cost of a panel or service upgrade, then you can just buy the appropriate UMC adapter from Tesla’s online store.

Good Luck with your Install,

GSP

I suggest getting a quote from two other electricians. Prices vary a lot, as you can see right here in this thread.

Also ask if installing a 14-30 or even 6-20 outlet would be significantly less expensive. Both are 240 V and can charge at 24 A and 16 A respectively. They are way better than 120 V charging, and fast enough for overnight charging unless you have a crazy long commute of 150-200 miles per day. If this avoids the cost of a panel or service upgrade, then you can just buy the appropriate UMC adapter from Tesla’s online store.

Good Luck with your Install,

GSP
S100D was birthday gift for my wife. She wants technology that “Just works.” Therefore got HPWC, flush-mounted sub-panel to serve as cut-off and all wiring in the wall.

Turned out Tesla-recommended electrician was best solution. He frequently works with Township so knew every step of the dance.

Fairly long run between main panel and 100 Amp sub-panel. Used 2 gauge/3 conductor (plus ground) copper cable. Glad the install team wrestled with it.

Installed in mudroom porch, adjacent to driveway, visible from street. Sub-panel visible through door when standing near HPWC.

Attachments

• 936E1080-0632-4226-80A7-914F0EFEA6E8.jpeg
    936E1080-0632-4226-80A7-914F0EFEA6E8.jpeg
    596.3 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: KJD
My quotes were $2900 and $3100 for a 150ft run from the panel through the attic to the garage on the other side of the house for a 14-50 NEMA. For now I'm going with the 5-20 connector that's already in that garage... It's slow and I keep debating whether or not to try to run that heavy cable myself...