Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nervous about suspension/Axel issues and shuddering...HELP!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, everyone. I just recently purchased a 2020 Model X LR+ on 22" rims on Tesla's website. I haven't received it yet or even been assigned a VIN, so I'm in the waiting game. However, I've come across the suspension issues in my research on the internet. Tires wearing on the inside, suspensions/axels breaking out of nowhere, vehicle shuddering, etc. Now, I'm wondering if I should cancel my Model X order or if this is something that has only been common on older models. I'm extremely nervous. Are newer Model X's having these issues still? For the amount of money I'm paying for this car, I don't want these problems/baggage to come along with it. Any insight from you experienced Tesla owners would be great and super helpful. Is this something I need to be worried about or is this a concern for past years only? Thanks.

...2020 Model X LR+ on 22" rims...

I've been driving my 2017 Model X 100D on standard 20" rims and it's been fine for the past 3 years.

I have not experienced shuddering IF I first lower the suspension down to low position FIRST before I floor the accelerator to do a demo for my guests.

I have not experienced shuddering with my normal driving (no-show-off-the-guests mode).

I replaced its first set of 4 tires at 35,000 miles this year (year number 3). That's quite decent as someone reports doing that for their Model 3 at 15,000 miles.

Your 22" rim tires might wear out faster than my standard 20" size.

I've been driven 3 different models of Tesla cars S (almost 100,000 miles), X, 3 since 2012 or 8 years, and their suspensions and tires have been very excellent!

Last edited:
I've been driving my 2017 Model X 100D on standard 20" rims and it's been fine for the past 3 years.

I have not experienced shuddering IF I first lower the suspension down to low position FIRST before I floor the accelerator to do a demo for my guests.

I have not experienced shuddering with my normal driving (no-show-off-the-guests mode).

I replaced its first set of 4 tires at 35,000 miles this year (year number 3). That's quite decent as someone reports doing that for their Model 3 at 15,000 miles.

Your 22" rim tires might wear out faster than my standard 20" size.

I've been driven 3 different models of Tesla cars S (almost 100,000 miles), X, 3 since 2012 or 8 years, and their suspensions and tires have been very excellent!
Thanks for the response. I’m more concerned about abnormal tire wear and tear (inside treading issues) and if the suspension issues are more common with older years or all years..

I read about that before I bought my 2019 Model X LR and crossed my fingers it would not get the shudder.
I have the shudder but I don't regret getting the Model X. It's not that bad and I can bring it in and they will fix it.
Some people say it has been repaired, others not. It's almost been a year and 9000 miles and my X has not seen the SC yet.

I read about that before I bought my 2019 Model X LR and crossed my fingers it would not get the shudder.
I have the shudder but I don't regret getting the Model X. It's not that bad and I can bring it in and they will fix it.
Some people say it has been repaired, others not. It's almost been a year and 9000 miles and my X has not seen the SC yet.
What about inside tire wear? Is that a problem for you?

Hey, everyone. I just recently purchased a 2020 Model X LR+ on 22" rims on Tesla's website. I haven't received it yet or even been assigned a VIN, so I'm in the waiting game. However, I've come across the suspension issues in my research on the internet. Tires wearing on the inside, suspensions/axels breaking out of nowhere, vehicle shuddering, etc. Now, I'm wondering if I should cancel my Model X order or if this is something that has only been common on older models. I'm extremely nervous. Are newer Model X's having these issues still? For the amount of money I'm paying for this car, I don't want these problems/baggage to come along with it. Any insight from you experienced Tesla owners would be great and super helpful. Is this something I need to be worried about or is this a concern for past years only? Thanks.

Tesla does not align their cars coming off the production line, nor before delivery. If there is the slightest indication the alignment is off, they will align under warranty. I don’t know if there is a time limit policy, but I wouldn’t wait very long. I asked for my 2018 X to be aligned within the first week, because it drifted to the left ever so slightly. Afterwards, It was dead on perfect. Still is. My 2019 Model 3, was perfect at delivery.

I have 25,000 miles on the original front tires, worn evenly at 6/32. Rears are new, due to an encounter with carnivorous brick in my driveway.

My X developed the shudder problem twice. Both fixed under warranty. But second time they opened an engineering case on it, and kept the car for over a week, attached a GoPro camera underneath the car and a bunch of other shenanigans. No difference in the parts replaced. I don’t know if the techs learned anything, but so far, the second fix has held.

Last edited:
Tesla does not align their cars coming off the production line, nor before delivery. If there is the slightest indication the alignment is off, they will align under warranty.

What makes you think Tesla doesn't check alignment coming off the production line? Do you know for an absolute fact, based on first hand knowledge that Tesla doesn't check alignment on vehicles while in production?

We bought a Model X LR+ in March 2020. No shudder no odd tire wear.

Breathe...

it’s a really expensive car with whole bunch of cool stuff that can break. Relax. Broken stuff gets fixed.

the first time you have it do the XMAS dance you will be glad you are rolling in the X!

Or when you do curbside pickup by opening up the FWD for them to put in the car.

What makes you think Tesla doesn't check alignment coming off the production line? Do you know for an absolute fact, based on first hand knowledge that Tesla doesn't check alignment on vehicles while in production?

Of course not. No one has eyes on their specific car before it rolls off the line. I was told that by my Service Advisor. He said most cars are fine and they expect owners to bring attention to any that are not, which I did. When my car was delivered, it had less than 5 miles on the odometer, which basically means no one had driven it, except to put it on the train to Chicago and truck to my SC. My car was delivered on the last day of a quarter, so they were more interested in me taking delivery. I actually asked them to check the alignment before delivery, but they did not. Instead they asked me to drive it first and report any issues. SA did not seem to be surprised. SOP.

It's going to be a roll of the dice. I've had several Model X's develop a shudder. It does help if you keep the suspension in low, don't tow, and/or don't accelerate hard often. The more often you do those things, the more likely you are to develop the shudder. That said, all were covered under warranty. One never had the problem again. The other had it repaired twice.

As for tires. One model X has normal tire wear/alignment on a yearly basis. The other has abnormal tire wear/alignment on a yearly basis. Both cars are driven the same way, maintained the same way and came off the assembly line within a month of each other. One chews through tires at a rate of 1 set per 10,000 miles. The other; went about 30,000 miles before I got new wheels - tires were still ok.

The SC swears there's nothing wrong with the one that's chewing through tires every 10,000 miles. Showed me print outs that say the car is aligned correctly. But yet consistently when we see wear bars on the inside, the outside tread is still 7-8/32.

Neither of them are Ravens. But the point is, you're going to hear horror stories and you're going to hear ones that never experienced a problem. It's a roll of a dice that you're going to have to consider and decide if you're ok with.

My 2019 Raven X has developed the shudder too. SC won’t replace the axles yet and said to just keep it in low. The problem is that the car doesn’t ride as well in low.

While I still love the car, if I was in the same position as the OP, I’d cancel and wait until there’s a confirmed permanent fix. I have a Cybertruck on order and fear it will have the same design defect. If they don’t have a permanent fix for the X before Cybertruck production starts, I’ll probably cancel that and buy something else.

I HAVE A 2019 MODEL X WITH THE SHUDDERING PROBLEM ALSO. 22 ONYX WHEELS AND STARTED SHUDDERING 3 MONTHS AGO. CONTACTED AND BROUGHT IN FOR REPAIR. THERE IS NO REPAIR I WAS TOLD UNTIL THERE IS A DESIGN CHANGE AND I HAVE THIS IN WRITING. I WAS TOLD IT IS AN AXLE PROBLEM. STARTING LEMON LAW PROCESS AND NOTIFYING HIGHWAY SAFETY ADMINISTRATION. THIS VEHICLE IS UNSAFE. BUYER BEWARE. 100 K FOR JUNK. WHAT HAPPENS TO YOUR RESALE AND WHAT ABOUT MY SAFETY

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I HAVE A 2019 MODEL X WITH THE SHUDDERING PROBLEM ALSO. 22 ONYX WHEELS AND STARTED SHUDDERING 3 MONTHS AGO. CONTACTED AND BROUGHT IN FOR REPAIR. THERE IS NO REPAIR I WAS TOLD UNTIL THERE IS A DESIGN CHANGE AND I HAVE THIS IN WRITING. I WAS TOLD IT IS AN AXLE PROBLEM. STARTING LEMON LAW PROCESS AND NOTIFYING HIGHWAY SAFETY ADMINISTRATION. THIS VEHICLE IS UNSAFE. BUYER BEWARE. 100 K FOR JUNK. WHAT HAPPENS TO YOUR RESALE AND WHAT ABOUT MY SAFETY
They told you they won't repair it? When did they say a design change was coming?

First post, all in caps. Hmm, need proof.

If you would have done your research on a $100K car before you bough it you would have found out about this issue and that only about 2% of the X's made actually have the problem and if you drive on low that will take care of the issue most of the time.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC

Yes, cancel your order unless you have extreme patience. I own a late 2019 X-LR and it has loads of problems. Here's my biggest issue: There is NO HUMAN CUSTOMER SERVICE from Tesla. Every attempt to contact them leads back to using the App to schedule an appointment. It is a 6 hour round trip for me to get to a service center. I have many questions before I arrive like do I need to get a rental car or how long will repairs take.

Here's a partial list of the problems:
  1. The cab overheat protection does not work. It reports 85° when outside temp is 110° and the interior is over 150° .
  2. There is a grinding, grumbling noise from the front motor during acceleration. Especially noticeable when car is loaded with people.
  3. Using the touchscreen to select charging does nothing.
  4. Using the charge icon at the top of the touchscreen raises a blank window.
  5. Sometimes the charge port will not open when presenting the charge cable. It has to be done from the touchscreen.
  6. The driver door window is slow and will sometimes reverse itself about 3/4 of the way up.
  7. There are loud, explosive pops coming from the speaker system. It sounds like stone hitting the windshield.
  8. Sometimes the explosive pop will disable the entire sound system. This includes turn signal, warning tones, all radio functions.
  9. Sometimes Sirius XM radio just stops working. (might be fixed now)
  10. The driver side windshield wiper blew off the car at 70MPH. Tesla said it is not warranted when certain parts fall off your new car.
  11. Sometimes the wrong driver profile is loading when entering the car even when that key fob is miles away. You must manualy set the correct profile.
  12. Sometimes the driver door will not open when approaching the vehicle.
  13. Sometimes driver door will just open a crack and stop with nothing blocking it.
  14. Rear doors will not fully open even though fully open this location is selected.
  15. A strip of rubber is hanging loose in the hinge area of the driver door.
  16. A strip of rubber is hanging loose in the hinge area of the passenger door.
  17. The strip of rubber is hanging loose and the driver side rear door.
  18. When selecting my driver profile there is the sound of popping and cracking in the seat back.
  19. The paint job is full of orange peel.
  20. There is a paint smear in the rear passenger side door area.
  21. There is grit in the paint above the driver door area.
  22. Loose molding on left rear door.
  23. Loose left from camera.
  24. Front facing camera lower edge is cloudy.
  25. Rattle in right front door.

Autopilot
I understand Autopilot is not fully developed but some of these things make driving very dangerous to me and drivers around me.

1. Sudden breaking at interstate speeds when nothing is in front or near the front.
  2. Jerky acceleration from a stop. (Accelerate hard, let off, accelerate hard again).
  3. Cruise control not taking over after turned on, car slows then accelerates (like a 1980’s cruise control).
  4. Very slow acceleration from stoplight with new stoplight feature.
  5. Takes 1/2 mile to reach 50MPH speed.
  6. Begins lane change after signaling then suddenly jerks back to the lane I was in. No one is near me in the passing lane.
  7. Won’t lane change using turn signal, even after 3 tries.
  8. Suddenly brakes hard if someone turns across the road very far ahead of me, 4-5 seconds ahead.
  9. Will not automatically signal lane change on the entrance ramp. If I signal, the car may try to change two lanes instead of entering the right lane.
  10. Car swerves in and out of the acceleration on ramp when I am cruising at highway speed and passing an on ramp. Sometimes it brakes and sounds a warning tone to take control.
  11. Many times getting emergency warnings and sudden braking for no known reason, the car just flips out.

Yes, cancel your order unless you have extreme patience. I own a late 2019 X-LR and it has loads of problems. Here's my biggest issue: There is NO HUMAN CUSTOMER SERVICE from Tesla. Every attempt to contact them leads back to using the App to schedule an appointment. It is a 6 hour round trip for me to get to a service center. I have many questions before I arrive like do I need to get a rental car or how long will repairs take.

Here's a partial list of the problems:
  1. The cab overheat protection does not work. It reports 85° when outside temp is 110° and the interior is over 150° .
  2. There is a grinding, grumbling noise from the front motor during acceleration. Especially noticeable when car is loaded with people.
  3. Using the touchscreen to select charging does nothing.
  4. Using the charge icon at the top of the touchscreen raises a blank window.
  5. Sometimes the charge port will not open when presenting the charge cable. It has to be done from the touchscreen.
  6. The driver door window is slow and will sometimes reverse itself about 3/4 of the way up.
  7. There are loud, explosive pops coming from the speaker system. It sounds like stone hitting the windshield.
  8. Sometimes the explosive pop will disable the entire sound system. This includes turn signal, warning tones, all radio functions.
  9. Sometimes Sirius XM radio just stops working. (might be fixed now)
  10. The driver side windshield wiper blew off the car at 70MPH. Tesla said it is not warranted when certain parts fall off your new car.
  11. Sometimes the wrong driver profile is loading when entering the car even when that key fob is miles away. You must manualy set the correct profile.
  12. Sometimes the driver door will not open when approaching the vehicle.
  13. Sometimes driver door will just open a crack and stop with nothing blocking it.
  14. Rear doors will not fully open even though fully open this location is selected.
  15. A strip of rubber is hanging loose in the hinge area of the driver door.
  16. A strip of rubber is hanging loose in the hinge area of the passenger door.
  17. The strip of rubber is hanging loose and the driver side rear door.
  18. When selecting my driver profile there is the sound of popping and cracking in the seat back.
  19. The paint job is full of orange peel.
  20. There is a paint smear in the rear passenger side door area.
  21. There is grit in the paint above the driver door area.
  22. Loose molding on left rear door.
  23. Loose left from camera.
  24. Front facing camera lower edge is cloudy.
  25. Rattle in right front door.

Autopilot
I understand Autopilot is not fully developed but some of these things make driving very dangerous to me and drivers around me.

1. Sudden breaking at interstate speeds when nothing is in front or near the front.
  2. Jerky acceleration from a stop. (Accelerate hard, let off, accelerate hard again).
  3. Cruise control not taking over after turned on, car slows then accelerates (like a 1980’s cruise control).
  4. Very slow acceleration from stoplight with new stoplight feature.
  5. Takes 1/2 mile to reach 50MPH speed.
  6. Begins lane change after signaling then suddenly jerks back to the lane I was in. No one is near me in the passing lane.
  7. Won’t lane change using turn signal, even after 3 tries.
  8. Suddenly brakes hard if someone turns across the road very far ahead of me, 4-5 seconds ahead.
  9. Will not automatically signal lane change on the entrance ramp. If I signal, the car may try to change two lanes instead of entering the right lane.
  10. Car swerves in and out of the acceleration on ramp when I am cruising at highway speed and passing an on ramp. Sometimes it brakes and sounds a warning tone to take control.
  11. Many times getting emergency warnings and sudden braking for no known reason, the car just flips out.
“Within spec”