Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding the yoke, I love it. Also like having no stalks. I have a jet pilot steering device (it's not a wheel) on my Model 3. It took me 2-3 days to get used to it, but once i did there was no going back to conventional steering wheels. It's the future, especially with FSD.

View attachment 634446

that's a whole lotta data for the future, especially with fsd

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
^ I have a Model S on order - no update or VIN yet. Bought the moment they announced.

I'd like to throw my opinion in here that I like the yoke. I never have my hands on the top of the steering wheel and turn using the left side of the wheel only. I drive with my hand resting on the portion with the scroll wheel. I don't have many concerns with the missing top. I also like no stalks.

That said, with Tesla's history of over-engineering *sugar* and it not working properly (auto windshield wipers, for one), I absolutely f-ing hate that there aren't physical PNDR buttons somewhere. Hate it. I believe there was an Elektrek article stating that there would be below the phone chargers (Elon said touchscreen, so... IDK?). If that's the case, I'll keep my reservation. If it's on a touchscreen, probably going to cancel until other buyers have had their cars for a while and can confirm the stuff works the way he claims.

Other than that, would've been nice for the long range Model S to have improve at least ~10% on range. 450 miles or so would've been really nice and helpful on road trips. But at least they didn't decrease it like the Model X (bad move, imo, especially since on the hwy that thing sucks the battery dry).

Finally, the noise cancellation, supposed improved tires, and the other interior updates made it worth it imo over my Model 3.

Reactions: Altair7 and katie3
If that's the case, I'll keep my reservation. If it's on a touchscreen, probably going to cancel until other buyers have had their cars for a while and can confirm the stuff works the way he claims.

Why not keep your reservation but make delivery contingent upon a test drive? And if it doesn’t work to your liking, then cancel? I usually prefer to try stuff myself instead of depending on other opinions. Because an innovation might work well for some, but not others.

Reactions: Jarvisd1015
Why not keep your reservation but make delivery contingent upon a test drive? And if it doesn’t work to your liking, then cancel? I usually prefer to try stuff myself instead of depending on other opinions. Because an innovation might work well for some, but not others.

“Make the delivery contingent upon a test drive”. Ha...ha... Locally, absolutely no test drive before buying. Your lucky if they will even let you see the car before buying. They’ll try to insist on doing the “paperwork first”. - then bringing your car around.

“Make the delivery contingent upon a test drive”. Ha...ha... Locally, absolutely no test drive before buying. Your lucky if they will even let you see the car before buying. They’ll try to insist on doing the “paperwork first”. - then bringing your car around.
A lot of car dealerships try to do this. If I'm unsure, I just tell them I'm not comfortable with these terms and not spending my money on something I've never seen.

I mean that isn't really a problem, he won't get to test drive his exact car but if there are showroom cars available the sales team will most likely prioritise someone with a order that will be cancelled if they cannot drive the new S before delivery.

My orders have always been contingent on some new update thing being unveiled and present on my car. Same with my current model S order, placed it earlier in January and said I won't take delivery until they unveil a interior refresh and only if it is good enough.

Reactions: DukeofURL

I was offered to take a test drive with the yoke before “as soon as we have one here” .

I had 2 problems with that. First I live 350+ miles away from the Tesla service center and I can’t just pop in for a quick drive.

Also based on order date my car may be one of the first to arrive. So my car may be used for dozens of test drives for everyone else while I get time off work to go pick it up. I could see a lot of people wanting to see how this steering works before they commit.

Hopefully, despite a growing list of orders, with a change this polarizing they will prioritize a few demo cars for showrooms (and even test drives). This could lead to many more orders after assuaging concerns that some people might have about the yoke/new interior.

A lot of car dealerships try to do this. If I'm unsure, I just tell them I'm not comfortable with these terms and not spending my money on something I've never seen.
Really? I guess I've been sheltered. I've only dealt with Lexus and Tesla in the last 15 years or so, but Lexus would always let us drive the car for a week without repercussion. As long as we didn't put over 600 miles on the car, we could take it back for any reason whatsoever.

Reactions: InternetDude
You need every bit of visibility around the thick A pillars you can get. This just throws away some for no reason other than cost cutting.

Really? Let's no die on this hill. Visibility is the least likely reason to complain about the new Model S changes.

Visibility was the biggest complaint I had when we initially test drove in 2013. The Model S was never known to prioritize this, and it would make little or no difference with a blacked out tiny triangle or glass there.

That is the approach I am taking. Really, I just need 10-15 minutes of low-speed driving and a Y-turn, U-turn, and parallel parking to make sure the yoke is acceptable.

It is almost inconceivable that Tesla Company Test Drivers have not already done this, but seems worth the extra effort on my part to make sure I don't get stuck with an $80K car that I hate at low speeds.

My TA said March before they get a demo unit in. (Implication - my own reservation probably won't come up until late April or even May.)

That is the approach I am taking. Really, I just need 10-15 minutes of low-speed driving and a Y-turn, U-turn, and parallel parking to make sure the yoke is acceptable.

It is almost inconceivable that Tesla Company Test Drivers have not already done this, but seems worth the extra effort on my part to make sure I don't get stuck with an $80K car that I hate at low speeds.

My TA said March before they get a demo unit in. (Implication - my own reservation probably won't come up until late April or even May.)

My sales assistant said the opposite that they wouldn't have any demos until they filled the massive amount of back orders that they have from early December. My point being, these low level associates do not have any more info than we do.

Reactions: 46&2 and Altair7