Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
K-billy can you also share with us what is stated on the receipt you have received from Tesla.
I started looking at the parts catalog but I cannot find this part number there. Anyone from the US or Norway can see this part number?

You seem to be correct. The 1014116-00-A (or any 85kWh) is no longer in the Parts Catalog. It used to be. The removal from the catalog makes sense if this particular pack is experimental.

2013 P85, 68000 km, v2020.4.1. Experienced sudden drop in SoC from ~30 to 5 from one day to the other. Alert message was "Maximum battery charge level reduced" with error s_u018_max_charge.

Car could charge, but only at 9A/230V on a 32A course. At 20 percent, charge was completed. The following morning the alert was gone and I could trigger charging to start again to approx 65 percent at 32A when I disconnected it. Tesla wanted it in for diagnostics, and decided to take it in for battery replacement. Also received an update later in the day that new parts had been ordered.

Will update when the repairs are done.

<snip>
Will update when the repairs are done.

Bummer! After notification last week that the parts finally had arrived, I was just informed I can pick up the car:

Concern: Maximum battery charge level reduced

Confirmed customer concern, found that there was a calculation issue causing the battery charge to be reduced. This is now fixed with firmware.
Issue resolved.

From Teslafi, seems the calculation issue has resulted in loss of typical range (or likely, a more truthful reporting?)

Attachments

• Skjermbilde 2020-05-25 kl. 10.04.18.png
    Skjermbilde 2020-05-25 kl. 10.04.18.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 115
Bummer! After notification last week that the parts finally had arrived, I was just informed I can pick up the car:

Concern: Maximum battery charge level reduced

Confirmed customer concern, found that there was a calculation issue causing the battery charge to be reduced. This is now fixed with firmware.
Issue resolved.

The "Maximum battery charge level reduced" message has so far been been addressed by replacing the battery pack.

Not so any more and they are calling it a fixed SW bug?

Reactions: Chaserr
If this was indeed a calculation error somewhere, and it led to replaced batteries, this has been an expensive solution so far.
We can hope this means they are digging deep into the algorithms and code and a software solution for the capping/slow charging is being worked on.
OR they are working on a new way to hide the issue.

If this was indeed a calculation error somewhere, and it led to replaced batteries, this has been an expensive solution so far.
We can hope this means they are digging deep into the algorithms and code and a software solution for the capping/slow charging is being worked on.
The capping and slow supercharging are not a problem far as Tesla is concerned, they are a solution it was done on purpose and they say it isn't a problem.

They are trying not to recall a dangerous fire problem by hiding it and using unreliable software checks to identify batteries about to catch fire without informing anyone. This one was a false positive - or they found a new way to save money and keep more batteries about to burn on the road.

The way some reacted to my post above, I'll apologise for generalising by using "We can hope..." and correct and rephrase my statement:

I believe this means they are digging deep into the algorithms and code and a software solution for the capping/slow charging is being worked on.

That's my opinion, from my experience of Tesla (the car, the updates, the service center folks) the last 5 years and 200K+ km.

And obviously there are different valid opinions around here, which is fine.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
The solution for the capping / slow charging is already done - they just need to revert the changes. It was done intentionally, there is no mystery to Tesla why we were capped and slowed. If you go back to the day they started it all, they told us it was because they are trying to stop more cars from catching fire but don't want to do it legally.

They aren't digging at all. If they were, we would have news from what they had to share with the NHTSA. It was illegal for them to take action over their fire investigation without the NHTSA's involvement and approval. Since we know they took action outside of the legal process and there has been no transparency, the only safe assumptions we can make is that Tesla has not decided to go bac k on those decisions, and are still operating outside of the due process for their benefit and our detriment.

Right now, I expect they are digging for ways to keep the decision makers out of too much trouble when they can no longer keep this out of the courts. Maybe that involves repairing the damaged batteries, but probably not without some external help to make that choice.

It was illegal for them to take action over their fire investigation without the NHTSA's involvement and approval. Since we know they took action outside of the legal process

How do you know that they haven't followed proper processes and involved NHTSA as required? For example we know that Tesla had worked with NHTSA on the SUA issues well before somebody submitted a defect petition, or anything had been made public.

We both know the answer to that, you're justrepeating the same questions you already know from having them answered dozens of times before and you always repeat the same responses. We legally must be notified of recalls, and the NHTSA issues public statements. In this case, that hasn't been done. The investigation is still open. Recalls must be done whenever hardware is dangerously defective and Tesla admitted that in writing. Downgrades are illegal and VW had to buy back cars that were downgraded to correct problems. Since Tesla unofficially downgraded without NHTSA notice, we know that was done without permission (illegal) and since we haven't received an explanation, repair, or buyback offer, we know the NHTSA is still working through what needs to be done.

This is the part where you deny there even is an investigation and we link the NHTSA's website where the huge red words "OPEN INVESTIGATION" are difficult to deny, but maybe today is the day we don't repeat that again.

Please don't worry, you'll be able to look it all up on their website when they post the resolution to these violations, and owners will receive mailed noticed assuring are notified of the safety issues. We'll share those notices with you, you won't be left in the dark.

The answer to this is the same every time you ask, don't pretend you're surprised to learn it every time. The NHTSA takes safety very seriously and we know Tesla didn't report the problem to them when they took action, meaning the minimum outcome you will see is a fine levied against Tesla for failing to report their internal investigation, forcing the NHTSA investigation that is still open. Fines are public on the NHTSA site just like safety recalls, you will know when we do. It will be extremely big news on most media outlets, as all Tesla news tends to be.

Last edited:
We both know the answer to that, you're just grandstanding for an audience. We legally must be notified of recalls, and the NHTSA issues public statements.

Just because there hasn't been a recall doesn't mean that Tesla hasn't been in communication with NHTSA. So again, you don't know what has transpired between Tesla and NHTSA. But you keep stating that for a fact there has been no communication/notification of Tesla investigating something.

This is the part where you deny there even is an investigation and we link the NHTSA's website where the huge red words "OPEN INVESTIGATION" are difficult to deny, but you try every single time any ways.

And where I link to the tweet where NHTSA corrected a reporter and let him know that there is not currently an open investigation. Just an open defect petition.

The NHTSA takes safety very seriously

I don't really agree with that either. As I have pointed out a recent Hyundai recall that only corrected a safety issue by preventing a fire while the car was off, but it can still catch fire while it is on/driving. That doesn't seem like an agency that "takes safety very seriously." Or maybe they think that a fire starting while you're driving is just fine and that it is only a concern when parked.

Today isn't the day. You already learned this a dozzen times before, but a "defect petition" isn't submitted by the NHTSA it's submitted to the NHTSA by anyone else. This one was submitted by Edward Chen, a lawyer acting on behalf of Tesla owners on this Class Action suit. The NHTSA created an open investigation in response to that petition.

Petition: Will you please investigate the fires Tesla said were the reason teslas have been downgraded?

NHTSA: OK. (and then proceeds to look into it, which later resulted in the ongoing OPEN INVESTIGATION into Tesla's actions.

At the time the petition was filed there was no investigation (In fact, the petition was filed to request an investigation be opened - it's in tyhe investigation's public diocuments), but the blog you're using to try and mislead Tesla owners is not an authoritative source when the NHTSA itself has since officially opened an investigation and says so right on the NHTSA.gov website. Tesla is required to comply and turn over the evidence demanded (publicly) by the NHTSA. if you of "investigate" you will see that even thee dictionary's definitions of "petition" and "investigation" have answered your repeated questions you always repeat.

Your Hyundai example is a good one because you can point to it on the NHTSA website right now. Transparency is a part of the process, Tesla still has none, and that will change as the NHTSA shifts from investigating to responding.

I'll eventually post a scan of my recall notice so you can see what owners actually receive, that should help sort out what is and isn't a petition.

is not currently an open investigation
F8KKOqv.png

What is it that the NHTSA calls it when they spell it in big red letters, and demand evidence be turned over to them within a deadline? It's not Petition, we just learned what that is and it's the part that comes before the big red letters words.

I'm sure the blog you read was convincing, but I'm linking to the federal government.

Last edited:
Today isn't the day. You already learned this a dozzen times before, but a "defect petition" isn't submitted by the NHTSA

No, I didn't learn that today as I never said a DP was imitated by NHTSA. I have told you repeatedly how this works.

Petition: Will you please investigate the fires Tesla said were the reason teslas have been downgraded?

NHTSA: OK. (and then proceeds to look into it, which later resulted in the ongoing OPEN INVESTIGATION into Tesla's actions.

At the time the petition was filed there was no investigation, but the blog you're using to try and mislead Tesla owners is not an authoritative source when the NHTSA itself has since officially opened an investigation. Tesla is required to comply and turn over the evidence demanded (publicly) by the NHTSA. if you of "investigate" you will see that even thee dictionary's definitions of "petition" and "investigation" have answered your repeated questions you always repeat.

There has been no change, NHTSA is still investigation the defect petition to decide if they are going to grant it and launch an official investigation into the Tesla BMS updates or not. It has not been granted yet, and neither has the investigation into the BMS system. The NHTSA web site showed exactly this when they they contacted the reporter to say that no investigation was in progress yet.

You will know when/if a real investigation is in progress when/if NHTSA publishes that they have granted the defect petition, and you see a EA or PE investigation listed on their web site.

Here is the definition of a defect petition investigation from NHTSA:

NHTSA DP.png

Notice it says they will open an investigation if it is granted. It hasn't been granted, therefore they haven't opened an investigation.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric