Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread makes me wish that I had one of the affected 85 kWh packs. Mine is unaffected by #batterygate so far. Maybe next year...
If only capped cars were getting the new battery. It's not so simple..

2019-40-2-3-logic-png.500786

This thread makes me wish that I had one of the affected 85 kWh packs. Mine is unaffected by #batterygate so far. Maybe next year...
This thread gives me some hope that I will have the option to have my 6 year old, semi-afflicted (-10% range, no SuC impact) P85’s battery pack replaced under warranty or replaceable for some “reasonable” price.

Not holding my breath, but I prefer the bubble-front design and having a usably large frunk...

This thread gives me some hope that I will have the option to have my 6 year old, semi-afflicted (-10% range, no SuC impact) P85’s battery pack replaced under warranty or replaceable for some “reasonable” price.

Not holding my breath, but I prefer the bubble-front design and having a usably large frunk...
I bought this car to last me a while and it would be great to know that we can pay for a new pack if the need arises. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: Guy V and snellenr
I bought this car to last me a while and it would be great to know that we can pay for a new pack if the need arises. Fingers crossed!

I've suspected that tesla treats the S/X population as long-term beta testers for things like battery chemistry. I've also suspected that they will actually support us in a way similar to how they've supported the OG roadster population -- every once in a while come out with a newer battery upgrade that's basically an at-cost offering that brings the cars back up to parity with current battery technology.

For a while, the tesla with the longest range was an OG roadster with an upgraded pack.

Supporting these "legacy" users / cars is good advertising, especially for things like the truck or the high-end where customers expect support.

In that theme, I wouldn't be surprised if tesla offers replacement packs to all existing S/X cars basically in perpetuity.

"sales of packs would eat into their sales of their new cars so they'd never do that" doesn't hold water because populations of people driving a 10 year old S aren't really the same as people thinking of buying a new Y or CyBeRTrUcK.

Of course, I also still believe in the tooth fairy, so I could be wrong about this too.

Fell asleep but just woke up and arrived with 6% left at 5am in the morning at 25 degrees F with a semi cold battery (had drove 13 mi to warm it up but unfortunately that wasn’t enough. Sorry for the missed opportunity. Also unsure if it is the problem with the supercharger not getting more than 112kW as Plainview, NY SC (Which is suppose to be 150kW max) seems to be having issues lately from what I read. Also unsure is if the Older S is limited to 120kW perhaps because of fuse or the programming - but as you can see below max was only 112kW in this SC session. Cabin temp are set at 72 degrees with driver heated seat on full blast. Here are the results:

At 6% started with 7kW
At 15% 77kW
At 16% 83kW
At 18% 92 kW
At 19% 107kW
At 20% 112kW
At 25% 107kW
At 30% 106 kW
At 34% 104 kW
At 38% 99 kW
At 40% 97 kW
At 42% 96 kW
At 46% 92 kW
At 50% 87 kW
At 52% 83 kW
At 54% 81 kW
At 56% 77 kW
At 60% 72 kW
At 62% 69 kW
At 65% 67 kW
At 67% 65 kW
At 70% 62 kW
At 72% 58 kW
At 75% 54 kW
At 77% 48 kW
At 80% 40 kW
At 81% 36 kW (fan slowed down)
At 82% 31 kW (fan seems to have stopped - at least not noticeable)
At 84% 30kW (1 hr has lapsed)
At 87% 25 kW
At 90% 22 kW (1 hr 11 min has lapsed with 262 miles rated)

I will be finishing charging at home to 100%

Even for the missed opportunity because of the cold battery, one thing we know is this “A” pack is not the same as the old “A” pack that has a different part# and was capped at 100kW. I will be doing more testing at another location (JFK also rated for 120kW - Which I’ve done with my old pack awhile back)

additional notes:
1) charging stall used was 3A of Plainview, NY SC
2) past 5 mi my rated avg consumption is 592 wh/mi
3) past 15 mi my rates avg consumption is 519 wh/mi
4) lifetime (since I owned the car at least) is 376 wh/mi over 36689 miles

Last edited: