Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no actual date stamp that I can see but the battery Serial number showing T19 should indicate that it is made in 2019 - at least that's what my logic is telling me.

Fabbec´s Batteriedecoder

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the webpage I've mentioned above but it indicates that a serial number beginning T19L has a manufacture date of Dec 2019...lucky you, my failed 2015 85kwh battery was replaced with April 2014 remanufactured battery T14DxxxxxxxR1 (R suffix indicates remanufactured)

Last edited:
Fabbec´s Batteriedecoder

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the webpage I've mentioned above but it indicates that a serial number beginning T19L has a manufacture date of Dec 2019...lucky you, my failed 2015 85kwh battery was replaced with April 2014 remanufactured battery T14DxxxxxxxR1 (R suffix indicates remanufactured)
Great link! Interesting note for my battery - “Sicherung Uograde” which apparently means safeguard?

• Love
Reactions: faughtz
@Chilam Can you charge to 100% and check volts? I'm curious if they are capping these new batteries from the factory. The range doesn't make it seem like it, but they probably could for reliability and still manage original P85+ specs. That would tell us if Tesla thinks they have the defect sorted out on these new packs (and probably the 100s since this is a cut down version).

@Chilam Can you charge to 100% and check volts? I'm curious if they are capping these new batteries from the factory. The range doesn't make it seem like it, but they probably could for reliability and still manage original P85+ specs. That would tell us if Tesla thinks they have the defect sorted out on these new packs (and probably the 100s since this is a cut down version).

Sorry, but how do I check the voltage at 100%? Car still has 91 miles left and will run it down more. I will probably supercharge it tomorrow or tonight and let you all know.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Sorry, but how do I check the voltage at 100%? Car still has 91 miles left and will run it down more. I will probably supercharge it tomorrow or tonight and let you all know.
I'm in Orange County California and would be happy to meet you at a supercharger with my trusty odb2 adapter and scan my Tesla to get a reading :). You can pm me if you are not too far away and want to take me up on it.

I'm in Orange County California and would be happy to meet you at a supercharger with my trusty odb2 adapter and scan my Tesla to get a reading :). You can pm me if you are not too far away and want to take me up on it.

Thanks for your offer but I'm in NY. How do you get the voltage from the OBDII cable? I do have access to a generic cable and the Ross-Tech VAG-COM cable that's used for VW Group cars.

As one of those with an MS85D who has had his battery capped with a loss of 30 miles and having both contacted Tesla through their Service Department as well as written to them direct, having received no response, can I ask what route you took to get the HVBP replaced?

Are you one of those that had the message come up on 40.2.3 stating charge limited and contact SC?

I'm reading this thread, and some other posts, to suggest that Tesla may now have an engineering solution to these impacted vehicles with restricted charge rates and levels. If so, very good news.

My understanding is they introduced the caps to prevent overcharging and therefore prevent the rare, but dramatic, battery fires resulting from that.

What no-one knows is what are the commercial terms going to be, if that's the case.

Update to my post from yesterday. Picked up the car today after asking for them to check the battery because it was capped and I think they uncapped it for me. The car now charges up to 242 again like it did before the update. They told me the battery was fine when I picked it up and that they didn't do anything for the battery but magically my range is back and I will check later to see if supercharging speed has gone back to previous

Thanks for your offer but I'm in NY. How do you get the voltage from the OBDII cable? I do have access to a generic cable and the Ross-Tech VAG-COM cable that's used for VW Group cars.
Here is some from Scan My Tesla on bluetooth adapters and the cable you'll need to connect it to the CANBUS which is under the MCU, not the one from under the dash left of the steering wheel: scan my tesla. I ordered the adapter and cable from amazon.com.

Reactions: Chilam
What no-one knows is what are the commercial terms going to be, if that's the case.
We know the caps are illegal and not a permanent solution. I think this new battery is the permanent solution, and it has enough extra kWh to be capped from the factory. I don't think it is though - and if that's the case it means Tesla's 100kwh batteries probably won't need to be capped in the next 2 years.

I don't think it will work on an P85D or more power. We know 350v batteries are enough for P85 power but I doubt it can handle Insane mode.

Let's do the math. With P100D, we know it draws 1762A at peak power. (data from the car, not guesstimating) We also know that pack is roughly 277Ah. ~6.5C at peak power draw instantaneously.

This new 85 pack that we theorize to be a good ole 100 pack with 2 modules missing would also be 277Ah. P85D draws 1500A at peak power with the 400V 85 packs. With a 350V pack it would need around 1730A draw at most. Also sub 6.5C.

So yes, it is within spec of sustaining a P85D's performance.

Here is some from Scan My Tesla on bluetooth adapters and the cable you'll need to connect it to the CANBUS which is under the MCU, not the one from under the dash left of the steering wheel: scan my tesla. I ordered the adapter and cable from amazon.com.

Thanks for the link and info! It looks like I'm out of luck as I'm using iOS. Let's see if I can get one of my HP Touchpad working again.. :p

This thread makes me wish that I had one of the affected 85 kWh packs. Mine is unaffected by #batterygate so far. Maybe next year...

Lucky me, I guess!:/
Any news about the charging rates? Ahhh, please, don't make us suffer! :)

BTW, how did you brick your pack to get it replaced?:)))

I'm still on 2019.40.2.3, so I'm still hoping for a miracle to happen with the next SW version. Either uncapping or a new pack (preferably), although it's a pity that we won't get a v3 ready pack.

Thanks for your feedback!