Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Base Wheels on the Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most buyers will not care about the subtle differences in offset that you describe. :cool:
Keep in mind that the 19" wheels are a no cost option now so many sets will be available for resale.

Not necessarily. First, tsportline offers grey and black. The grey looks fantastic. Second, tsportlines are .5" wider. Third, tsportline 's have a slightly different offset making the wheel sit out further. Combine those with 255s and you've completely changed the look of the S to a hell of a lot more aggressive stance. You can't have that with the new oem 19s, let alone can't get the new OEM 19s in grey either.

Also we don't know the cost of the new OEM 19s. They might very well be very very very expensive close to that of their 21s so tsportline might be less costly for maintenance if you have a habit of bending your wheels.

New slipstream wheels 19.PNG

I have the now "classic" 19" wheels and find them a pain to clean. I'm thinking the new style standard wheels might be easier. I doubt they will be more difficult to keep clean.
Really like the new standard wheels. If I was ordering a new S now I would not pay for the optional 19's, they are similar looking to the standard wheels, in my opinion.

Ditto. The original 19's are a b***h to clean with that little groove all the way around. I have a set of 19" cyclones I picked up last year to put my summer tires on, but haven't even gotten a chance to use them yet. They should be going on next month. :)

Ditto. The original 19's are a b***h to clean with that little groove all the way around. I have a set of 19" cyclones I picked up last year to put my summer tires on, but haven't even gotten a chance to use them yet. They should be going on next month. :)

Yep. I went with the original 19s (classic? vintage? old-school?) because they were no-cost, were symmetrical (yeah, the Turbines would've bugged me), and I *thought* they'd be easier to clean.

They are definitely a pain in the... well, knees and quads mostly. That groove :cursing: and also despite seeming like a five spoke wheel, it's really a 10 spoke with a very narrow separation between each pair. I had toyed with the idea of picking up a set of winter wheel/tires and thought I might go with the newer styled 19" ones. So far, however, the car has handled wonderfully in the snow on the No-Seasons it shipped with.

Yep. I went with the original 19s (classic? vintage? old-school?) because they were no-cost, were symmetrical (yeah, the Turbines would've bugged me), and I *thought* they'd be easier to clean.

They are definitely a pain in the... well, knees and quads mostly. That groove :cursing: and also despite seeming like a five spoke wheel, it's really a 10 spoke with a very narrow separation between each pair. I had toyed with the idea of picking up a set of winter wheel/tires and thought I might go with the newer styled 19" ones. So far, however, the car has handled wonderfully in the snow on the No-Seasons it shipped with.

Tbh, if i had known our winter would turn out like it did, i wouldn't have bothered with the snow tires.

I think i paid about $500 for each inch of snow we got in mid-NY this year....

I'm sure next year I will get more use out of them. :)

Hmph. Apparently I am among the minority who preferred the split five-spoke 19" wheels. I always wondered why those were not also offered at a 21" size. My personal level of OCD would not allow me to enjoy the turbines, because they are not twisted opposite directions on either side of the car. They should be directional. Even ancient Honda Preludes got that part right.

These are much nicer than the old default wheels. I like them better than the unevenly spaced Cyclone wheels I have, which are still $2500 more (who would pay $2500 for them now?).

These should have the range improvements of the Turbine wheel (I thin it was something like 3%), so by making them default maybe they will be able in increase the EPA range number at some point.

Tesla will want to differentiate the class and luxury of the S with the mass model 3 so they are probably giving the normal wheels to the 3 and only allowing the expensive wheels for the S.

Hmph. Apparently I am among the minority who preferred the split five-spoke 19" wheels. I always wondered why those were not also offered at a 21" size. My personal level of OCD would not allow me to enjoy the turbines, because they are not twisted opposite directions on either side of the car. They should be directional. Even ancient Honda Preludes got that part right.

Same here, though probably they were considered too much a derivative of other brands' wheels and not as unique or distinguishing as Tesla would like them to be

When I was getting the second set of wheels, I thought about the cyclones but they are $500 extra per wheel. They're nice but not $500 a wheel nice. About $50 premium is about the maximum I think you could get. Now the turbine style looks better than the cyclone. I expect the cyclone's price to drop until they sell out of inventory and then discontinue them.

In the Tesla Online Store, the old standard rims + a set of 4 Pirelli 240 Sottozero tires are listed for $2500.
The tires are $300 each, so backing them out and assuming the new rims cost roughly the same as the old standard rims, it should be about $1300.

Agreed. I believe that the old OEM 19" wheels are about $300 each. If anyone is interested, I have brand new set for sale for far less. :cool: PM me.

Model S wheel options.PNG