Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The older Model S's are pretty deaf when it comes to listening for the charge port open signal. The recent ones hear it from 3 meters away and more.

A reliable location that is also pretty easy is to hold the charge connector over the hatch back glass immediately up from the charge port. All you have to do it reach up and over a little so that the charge connector is close to the hatch back glass and push the button.

My UMC (took delivery this week) has a newer connector/button than my HPWC that I ordered a month ago. The UMC has a round icon with solid casing, the HPWC has the square-ish cutout button/casing.

I wonder if the updated version has improved the Xmit signal to the MS?

My UMC (took delivery this week) has a newer connector/button than my HPWC that I ordered a month ago. The UMC has a round icon with solid casing, the HPWC has the square-ish cutout button/casing.

I've tried opening the charge port on my Sig P85 #00037 and a newer P85D with the same HPWC. The Sig is deaf and the P85D hears well when it comes to the open signal. When I hold the charge connector carefully over the hatch back glass to get its charge port to open, the P85D, 4.5 meters, 15 feet away, opens its charge port.

Can you post a pic? I've never seen one of the new ones.

The older Model S's are pretty deaf when it comes to listening for the charge port open signal. The recent ones hear it from 3 meters away and more.

A reliable location that is also pretty easy is to hold the charge connector over the hatch back glass immediately up from the charge port. All you have to do it reach up and over a little so that the charge connector is close to the hatch back glass and push the button.
My 85D was delivered Sept. 11. Its "hearing" acuity seems to have varied over its 2+ month life.

Can you post a pic? I've never seen one of the new ones.

FullSizeRender.jpg

lol what a fun and tricky-to-follow thread :tongue:

I don't have an HPWC, just UMC and the button almost NEVER works for me no matter where I aim it (though I still press it every time, hashtag insanity). I can't remember if I tried the button on the HPWC I charged at recently, but every single SC button has worked fine.

I am VERY thankful for press-to-open but I'd rather have the UMC button work as I'm always tempted to use the butt of the cable connector to open the port (which means lotsa scuffs over time).

But for me, UMC button seems to work when the car is locked and I don't have the key... ??? though I haven't done that too many times, I'll have to test it... and now I'll also try the UMC button closer to driver door...

I've done the exact same thing with the UMC at home (double clicking it), and when the car is locked, and I belive the UMC does not open the chargeport door.
double click ?? lol ok I gotta try that too... but as you said, there seems to be something up with the UMC's button. I thought maybe it was just mine, or maybe the signal is just too weak...

lol what a fun and tricky-to-follow thread :tongue:

I don't have an HPWC, just UMC and the button almost NEVER works for me no matter where I aim it (though I still press it every time, hashtag insanity). I can't remember if I tried the button on the HPWC I charged at recently, but every single SC button has worked fine.

I am VERY thankful for press-to-open but I'd rather have the UMC button work as I'm always tempted to use the butt of the cable connector to open the port (which means lotsa scuffs over time).

But for me, UMC button seems to work when the car is locked and I don't have the key... ??? though I haven't done that too many times, I'll have to test it... and now I'll also try the UMC button closer to driver door...

double click ?? lol ok I gotta try that too... but as you said, there seems to be something up with the UMC's button. I thought maybe it was just mine, or maybe the signal is just too weak...

The above quote of mine is not accurate. If you continue reading that thread, I said I was wrong after testing it. It works as a single click too.

The above quote of mine is not accurate. If you continue reading that thread, I said I was wrong after testing it. It works as a single click too.
I did admit to the thread being tricky to follow ;)

I just got in from testing and here's the interesting part on my car and my UMC -- it opens when the button is released... not sure when the signal starts or stops, but I'm sure my door won't open until the button is unpressed. Click and depress, aimed at the sweet spot got mine to open reliably.

My 70D's sweet spot which I think was already said by others is right in the passenger corner window, just inside where the black border is... eg.
UMCplace.jpg

edit: I was probably actually aiming a bit back of that, just before the black band started.

New edit, I've been aiming right at the thick black band on the rear quarter window (ie. just right of that red circle above) for daily success so far this week.

If I aim my UMC at the red circle it totally fails. So on the black band there's probably an opening in the metallic window coating... perhaps just for the UMC's signal ?

UMC_fo_real.jpg

edit: picture or it didn't happen, eh ? Green circle this time.

(PS not my car, was a loaner ; )

Last edited:
I'm so glad to see that this change was made. I was talking with a local Model S owner a little while ago who has an early car (Sig series I think) who was telling me that you can't open the charging door by pressing on it. If we end up with a Model S, we would just continue to use the ClipperCreek LCS-40 that we already have and have been using for a couple years. It would be really annoying if we would have to use the touchscreen to open the charge port door every time we're trying to plug in at home.

I'm so glad to see that this change was made. I was talking with a local Model S owner a little while ago who has an early car (Sig series I think) who was telling me that you can't open the charging door by pressing on it. If we end up with a Model S, we would just continue to use the ClipperCreek LCS-40 that we already have and have been using for a couple years. It would be really annoying if we would have to use the touchscreen to open the charge port door every time we're trying to plug in at home.

We also have a Volt and use a Level 2 charger. On the MS, you will have to use the J1772 adapter on the Level 2 cable. When you want to remove it, you have to use the touch screen in the car to unlock it. The adapter locks onto the car so that it is not stolen. We finally broke down and put a Nema 14-50 plug in. I think, as long as the car is unlocked, I should be able to remove the UMC without having to go to the touch screen. Just got it yesterday, so have not tried it yet..

We also have a Volt and use a Level 2 charger. On the MS, you will have to use the J1772 adapter on the Level 2 cable. When you want to remove it, you have to use the touch screen in the car to unlock it. The adapter locks onto the car so that it is not stolen. We finally broke down and put a Nema 14-50 plug in. I think, as long as the car is unlocked, I should be able to remove the UMC without having to go to the touch screen. Just got it yesterday, so have not tried it yet..
Unlocking the car wouldn't suffice? You'd have to go to the touch screen every time you need to unplug the car? We live in an apartment, so we can't just go around doing electrical work. They installed & paid for the ClipperCreek EVSE for us because the owners of our complex are very interested in being environmentally friendly. Our entire complex is landscaped to prevent runoff during rain, as well as using all LED lighting & other energy saving features. I suppose we could just ask them to install a 14-50 outlet, but it isn't our decision.