Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Charging Scheduling Glitch—Explain This?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except for when it doesn't
It can start early:
Note If there is not enough time to reach the charge limit, charging starts immediately in order to charge as much as possible.

And run long:
Note Once charging has started and there is not enough time to complete charging during off-peak hours, charging continues until the charge limit is reached.
Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

So there needs to be a setting which is "*only* charge in off-peak even if charge limit will not be reached"

Reactions: Rocky_H and mongo
I'm so confused by this.

I simply want to plug my car in whenever, but only have it charge between the hours of 12AM to 3PM. Is that simply not possible?
Not possible, here's why: Tesla only allows you to tell it the END of the off-peak period. Why? Because if you put in the start and end, the car would have to figure out what to do when it can't do all the charging in that period. Let's say you say you want to leave at 7, but you need 8 hours of charging. Does the car warn you? Does it start at midnight? Does it start at 11 pm?

I think the Tesla engineers wanted to avoid this complication, but a better solution is necessary

Reactions: Rocky_H
Not possible, here's why: Tesla only allows you to tell it the END of the off-peak period. Why? Because if you put in the start and end, the car would have to figure out what to do when it can't do all the charging in that period. Let's say you say you want to leave at 7, but you need 8 hours of charging. Does the car warn you? Does it start at midnight? Does it start at 11 pm?

I think the Tesla engineers wanted to avoid this complication, but a better solution is necessary
I think it’s quite simple. Charge during the entire off peak time period but send a warning that the charge limit will not be reached as soon as the car is plugged in (before charging starts) so that the user can adjust plans/charge on peak if necessary

I think it’s quite simple. Charge during the entire off peak time period but send a warning that the charge limit will not be reached as soon as the car is plugged in (before charging starts) so that the user can adjust plans/charge on peak if necessary
I agree that it's pretty simple and should be done, but it involves some interactions that I'm guessing the engineers wanted to avoid. With your system:

You get home and plug in, and the car calculates that there isn't enough time to charge. I'm not sure this calculation is instantaneous. So thirty seconds later, the car realizes there's a problem. Does it honk the horn? No, it sends a message to the phone,

WARNING: Car doesn't have enough time to charge. Please adjust charging parameters.

which you hopefully receive and adjust things. But how do you adjust them? Do you change the start of the off-peak period and change it back the next day? No, you have to tell it exactly how to override things. But in any case the car has to decide what do you if you don't respond to the warning. Ideally, you tell it ahead of time what it should do via options in the settings. You'd have to make these selections:

If the car cannot complete charging by your departure time without charging outside of the off-peak period, it should:

o Delay the departure time
o Start charging before the off-peak period begins.

For both scheduled charging and departure time charging, you'd need this additional option:

If the car cannot complete charging within the off-peak period, it should:

o Start charging before the off-peak period
o Continue charging past the end of the off-peak period
o Only charge during the off-peak period

So, you can see that things aren't as simple as we initially thought.

I've wondered why we can't set the start and end of the off-peak period. I'm totally guessing here, but perhaps while the engineers were griping about how this made things complicated ...

Johnson raises his hand. "How 'bout we don't let them set the start of the off-peak period?"

Everyone freezes and frowns. Bob says, "Well what happens if the car doesn't have enough time to charge in the off-peak period?"

Johnson shrugs. "We just start charging outside of the off-peak period."

"But that would not be ideal for the customer." Bob uses a different expression for "not be ideal."

"True, but it makes our job easier. Input is error!"

Last edited:
The service center didn't see anything.

The problem hasn't happened a third time.

Screenshot_20230829-104043.png

Some are getting tired of these posts, so this will be the last one.

I plugged Tessie (see sig) in today around 4 PM with Scheduled Departure set for 11 AM. She was at 41% and I set the target to 100%. Sure enough, she soon started charging.

That tells me the problem is not limited to Nick, and the problem can happen even if all interaction occurs in the car (not via the app).

I installed the Tessie app to restrict charging to the off-peak period, but it doesn't work the way I would like it to. That is, I want the app to, for example, let me say:

• Charge to the limit just before 9 AM BUT never start charging before midnight.

Instead the app acts like Tesla's Scheduled Charging and starts charging as soon as the off-peak period begins.

That's okay, but not ideal.

Found this:

Some Tesla vehicles after installing recent software versions (including 2023.2.12, 2023.6.8 and later) have developed new behaviour where they start charging by themselves at random times.

perhaps while the engineers were griping about how this made things complicated ...

Johnson raises his hand. "How 'bout we don't let them set the start of the off-peak period?"

Everyone freezes and frowns. Bob says, "Well what happens if the car doesn't have enough time to charge in the off-peak period?"

Johnson shrugs. "We just start charging outside of the off-peak period."

"But that would not be ideal for the customer." Bob uses a different expression for "not be ideal."

"True, but it makes our job easier. Input is error!"
Or the engineers decide "it's more important to get the charge level you requested even if you go over the time limit, because not having enough charge to do the driving you need to do may cost a little more money but it won't strand you somewhere or force you out of your way to a fast charger".

I have been having a problem where my car won't charge on schedule departure. I have it set to depart at 6AM and use off-peak, which ends at 6AM. I wake up and the car never charges. Note I have had the car for 9 months and this is a recent development over the last couple of weeks. If I initiate charging the car charges fine and also works fine at superchargers.

I am running TeslaFi, so I am not sure if it is a bug on Tesla's part or due to TeslaFi. Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this?

I have been having a problem where my car won't charge on schedule departure. I have it set to depart at 6AM and use off-peak, which ends at 6AM. I wake up and the car never charges. Note I have had the car for 9 months and this is a recent development over the last couple of weeks. If I initiate charging the car charges fine and also works fine at superchargers.

I am running TeslaFi, so I am not sure if it is a bug on Tesla's part or due to TeslaFi. Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this?
To troubleshoot I'd suggest setting the departure time to 5 am so it's not close to the end of off-peak. If that doesn't solve it, I'd disable TeslaFi.

The Tessie app didn't solve my problem, and I uninstalled it.

The problem is still there, but it seems that if I make no changes in the target SOC or departure time, the car performs correctly.

I don't think there is a way to guarantee the stop charging time.
"Note Once charging has started and there is not enough time to complete charging during off-peak hours, charging continues until the charge limit is reached."
The best way to ensure that car finishes charging within your low-cost window is to watch the target percentage and occasionally change it.

Example: We charge on a 14-30 "dryer" outlet and that adds about 7% hourly. Our low-cost window is midnight to 6am, so I try to avoid adding more that 42% overnight. We normally charge to 80%, so it's only a concern is the battery is below 40% when I plug it in.

I think that would be the best solution for me ,I use have Kona and it was very easy to schedule charge just in my off peak window.

I agree, but where does the warning go? If it's on the car's screen, it will be missed. That is, you usually plug in and go into the house. Does the car honk or beep? Maybe.

Does the warning happen on the app? That will work if you have audible alerts for the Tesla app.

Maybe you get a warning when you get home, before you get out of the car.

It's workable, but not simple. That's why I think the engineers chose the current, less ideal but simpler solution.