Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Charging Scheduling Glitch—Explain This?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I must be cursed with charging-time glitches. Here's a brand new one: The car started charging when it shouldn't have.

As always, Nick (see sig) was set for departure-time scheduling, with a departure time of 9:45 AM:

Sched.jpg

I had plugged the car in around 2 PM yesterday. This morning I see the following:
Notifications.jpg

IOW, the car started charging at an apparently random time, and ended up costing me almost double what it would have had it charged at the cheapest time. I know of nothing that happened at 8:02 PM.

Anyone know how that might have happened?

I must be cursed with charging-time glitches. Here's a brand new one: The car started charging when it shouldn't have.

As always, Nick (see sig) was set for departure-time scheduling, with a departure time of 9:45 AM:

View attachment 963216

I had plugged the car in around 2 PM yesterday. This morning I see the following:
View attachment 963217

IOW, the car started charging at an apparently random time, and ended up costing me almost double what it would have had it charged at the cheapest time. I know of nothing that happened at 8:02 PM.

Anyone know how that might have happened?
Do you have "off peak charging" enabled?

I'm encountering the same issue here. This is my first time attempting to use level 1 charging for extended periods. Initially, I had no problems when I simply plugged it in and it began charging as expected. However, I decided to set a specific charging time, which is when things started acting strangely.

The process of setting it up felt a bit confusing overall. Eventually, I opted for simplicity and just tried to schedule it to start at a certain time.

Unfortunately, it didn't adhere to the schedule and began charging a few minutes after I had set the time. Frustrated, I gave up and decided to manually start and stop the charging. (The cord comes into the house, so I need to unplug and close the door before going to bed.)

Tonight, I'm giving it another shot. I enabled the scheduled charging feature and set the time for 21:00 while it was 20:40. However, around 20:50, I checked the app only to find that it was already charging.

What's going on?

(Note, chatgpt re-wrote my original and I have used it's output)

Last edited:
I'm encountering the same issue here. This is my first time attempting to use level 1 charging for extended periods. Initially, I had no problems when I simply plugged it in and it began charging as expected. However, I decided to set a specific charging time, which is when things started acting strangely.

The process of setting it up felt a bit confusing overall. Eventually, I opted for simplicity and just tried to schedule it to start at a certain time.

Unfortunately, it didn't adhere to the schedule and began charging a few minutes after I had set the time. Frustrated, I gave up and decided to manually start and stop the charging. (The cord comes into the house, so I need to unplug and close the door before going to bed.)

Tonight, I'm giving it another shot. I enabled the scheduled charging feature and set the time for 21:00 while it was 20:40. However, around 20:50, I checked the app only to find that it was already charging.

What's going on?

(Note, chatgpt re-wrote my original and I have used it's output)
Which charge mode was selected?

Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

Which charge mode was selected?

Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla
Sorry, I don't know what that is/means ☹️

Sooo, this morning I thought I'd try it again. In the app I set it to start charging at 5:45. It was 5:15 at the time.
I got in the car to go downtown and after parking I decided to see what the screen said. The "start charging" option
was off. Well... that's weird. So I set it again. Got home, plugged in 10 min before target time. Bingo. No charge until 5:44
and then it started just like it should.

Is there any way to tell the car to stop charging at a certain time? I only see the thing related to time of Off Peak Charge option, but I'm
not sure how to use that. My peak hours are 1600-2100. I guess I'd set it to 16:00? But then again I'm not planning to go anywhere. I just want
it to stop before time X.

Sorry, I don't know what that is/means ☹️

Sooo, this morning I thought I'd try it again. In the app I set it to start charging at 5:45. It was 5:15 at the time.
I got in the car to go downtown and after parking I decided to see what the screen said. The "start charging" option
was off. Well... that's weird. So I set it again. Got home, plugged in 10 min before target time. Bingo. No charge until 5:44
and then it started just like it should.

Is there any way to tell the car to stop charging at a certain time? I only see the thing related to time of Off Peak Charge option, but I'm
not sure how to use that. My peak hours are 1600-2100. I guess I'd set it to 16:00? But then again I'm not planning to go anywhere. I just want
it to stop before time X.
I don't think there is a way to guarantee the stop charging time.
"Note Once charging has started and there is not enough time to complete charging during off-peak hours, charging continues until the charge limit is reached."

So things seem to be working right. Although it seems the options vary between the car and the app.

Tonight I tried it again. But in the car the option to 'start charging at X time' was grayed out.
Only "leave by" was available Huh?

On the app, both options were there. In fact I think the setting was still set to 9pm from my last time.

Attachments

• snap047.png
    snap047.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 47
So things seem to be working right. Although it seems the options vary between the car and the app.

Tonight I tried it again. But in the car the option to 'start charging at X time' was grayed out.
Only "leave by" was available Huh?

On the app, both options were there. In fact I think the setting was still set to 9pm from my last time.
Sounds like the car may filter based on current charge mode, but the app lets all the parameters be adjusted regardless of the mode selected.
Toggle between Scheduled Departure and Scheduled Charging by touching Controls > Charging > Switch to Scheduled Charging/Scheduled Departure when Model 3 is in Park.

Scheduled Charging can be used together with Scheduled Departure Preconditioning but not with Scheduled Departure Off-Peak Charging.

This happened again last night. New information:

1. I was sitting by my tablet and heard the notification that charging started, again around 8 PM, so I know there was no noticeable power glitch.

2. I had changed the SOC target from 80% to 90% at some point during the day, and I think I did something similar last time this happened.

Remember, I've had the car for 2.5 years and 72K miles, so I know my way around charging scheduling. This problem has never happened before, and I would have noticed. I'm currently suspecting that

1. There is a software error in version 2023.7.20, or
2. There is a hardware problem somewhere in my system.

Does anyone know if a power glitch could cause charging to start?

I'm surprised that no one has chimed in with exactly this problem (DesmoDog, I think your problem may be different).

I've put in a service request in case Tesla can remotely find a problem or knows of a bug. I will also switch to Scheduled Charging as opposed to Scheduled Departure, although I don't think that will fix it. I'll also get Tessie.

I find “start charging at” to be very reliable.

I find “finish charging at departure time” to be unreliable.
They've both worked okay for me in the past, but IIRC, I've seen problems when switching from one to the other.

Here's a similar but different thread:

Reactions: DesmoDog
Some of the modes will start early to try and hit your charge target by the departure time, but I didn't see any that would absolutely stop charging at a set time.
Hmm. I use the off-peak and set the off peak hours to 12AM to 6AM. Car wakes up on its own at the appropriate time and stops charging by 6AM.

"Scheduled Departure Off-Peak Charging" is what you want.