Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Charging Scheduling Glitch—Explain This?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another data point: I just played with the charge limit related to another thread, moving it to 93% and then back to 80%.

Several minutes later, I get a notification that charging started:

Notification.png

I stopped the charging from the app, but later it was still charging.

And note that this happened after I changed to Scheduled Charging (from Scheduled Departure):

setup.jpg

There's just no justification for it starting at that time.

Until I learn more, I'm only going to change charging schedules from the car itself.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Piano, I've never seen, or even read of, anybody having the amount of charge scheduling problems you post of. If I'm correct this has been over a number of threads off and on now. One sort of has to question if something is unique about your situation. Have you engaged a service coordinator? Have you validated AT&T cell coverage when you're parking?

Piano, I've never seen, or even read of, anybody having the amount of charge scheduling problems you post of. If I'm correct this has been over a number of threads off and on now. One sort of has to question if something is unique about your situation. Have you engaged a service coordinator? Have you validated AT&T cell coverage when you're parking?
Yeah, I've started a ticket and will report on Tesla's response.

Very poor cell coverage here, but car has good wifi connection.

Yeah, I've started a ticket and will report on Tesla's response.

Very poor cell coverage here, but car has good wifi connection.
Food for thought: Wi-Fi cannot wake up a car. If a cloud command, only sms. I don’t believe a scheduled charge needs a cloud wakeup, as say a phone app command would, but some of this may play into your issues. Just a thought.

• Informative
Reactions: PianoAl
I need to write a sticky for the Ca guys and the others with very narrow peak charging hours and small chargers.

No, this is not possible with the stock as delivered only factory app in the car. If you buy the Tessie applet and look at the automations you will see it can be easily done. Man, I need to tell Jamie I need some kind of referral fee...

BTW, did you really mean 12am to 3PM? A 15 hour window? If you did you might want to engage Jamie over on his product page. As I recall an automation command times out after 6 hours. I suppose you could issue the start charge automation every 5 hours and one "stop charge" at the end.

For that matter if you're doing a 15 hour charge window you can just departure charge for 3PM. Unless you're using something pathetic for an EVSE it's going to easily charge up within those 15 hours. Don't forget to configure your peak charging hours on the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I'm so confused by this.

I simply want to plug my car in whenever, but only have it charge between the hours of 12AM to 3PM. Is that simply not possible?
Tesla, in their infinite wisdom, has decided to prioritize charging over cost.

I have a wide charging window too…. I just set it to start charging at the beginning of the window. It’s always done by the end. If I get home during the window and decide to plug in, I just stop charging or I set the battery limit to match the remaining hours of the charge window.

Not great, but it works. I do have a teslafi rule set to “if plugged in at home and charging at the end of the charge window stop charging and notify me” as a backup. It’s only triggered very rarely.

yes it is possible. You put in "off-peak charging hours" into the app or on screen. I do that all the time.
Except for when it doesn't
It can start early:
Note If there is not enough time to reach the charge limit, charging starts immediately in order to charge as much as possible.

And run long:
Note Once charging has started and there is not enough time to complete charging during off-peak hours, charging continues until the charge limit is reached.
Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

Is there some compelling reason why one needs more than one answer that works? Yes, you have to spend few dollars a yes to get it. Yes, Tesla factory doesn't meet everybody's need. Now: Are we looking for answer or just complaining? If the former see above. Otherwise....

Tesla, in their infinite wisdom, has decided to prioritize charging over cost.

I have a wide charging window too…. I just set it to start charging at the beginning of the window. It’s always done by the end. If I get home during the window and decide to plug in, I just stop charging or I set the battery limit to match the remaining hours of the charge window.

Not great, but it works. I do have a teslafi rule set to “if plugged in at home and charging at the end of the charge window stop charging and notify me” as a backup. It’s only triggered very rarely.
The problem with this is if you come home during the acceptable charging window and plug in, it just doesn’t start. It only initiates a charge if you are plugged in at the BEGINNING of the window, not any time during.

I need to write a sticky for the Ca guys and the others with very narrow peak charging hours and small chargers.

No, this is not possible with the stock as delivered only factory app in the car. If you buy the Tessie applet and look at the automations you will see it can be easily done. Man, I need to tell Jamie I need some kind of referral fee...

BTW, did you really mean 12am to 3PM? A 15 hour window? If you did you might want to engage Jamie over on his product page. As I recall an automation command times out after 6 hours. I suppose you could issue the start charge automation every 5 hours and one "stop charge" at the end.

For that matter if you're doing a 15 hour charge window you can just departure charge for 3PM. Unless you're using something pathetic for an EVSE it's going to easily charge up within those 15 hours. Don't forget to configure your peak charging hours on the car.
Yes off park wish 12am - 3pm on my plan. I’ll try the depart at 3pm then.

The problem with this is if you come home during the acceptable charging window and plug in, it just doesn’t start. It only initiates a charge if you are plugged in at the BEGINNING of the window, not any time during.
True. There is some guard band. Have to check the manual. I believe it was 4 hours after the window.

For me, I don't really care as I just set it to charge at 11pm and it's always charged by morning. But my free window is 7pm -> 2pm, so pretty wide. If I really need to go back out later in the day I just hit start charging.

True. There is some guard band. Have to check the manual. I believe it was 4 hours after the window.

For me, I don't really care as I just set it to charge at 11pm and it's always charged by morning. But my free window is 7pm -> 2pm, so pretty wide. If I really need to go back out later in the day I just hit start charging.
On "scheduled charging" it will start if plugged in within 6 hours of the set time.
That's a different mode from "off-peak charging".

On "scheduled charging" it will start if plugged in within 6 hours of the set time.
That's a different mode from "off-peak charging".
Right but the scenario that keeps hitting me, is I set my scheduled charging at 12am, the beginning off of peak. If I forget to plug in at night, then either get up in the morning or go run an errand and come home, I can’t just plug in and have it start on its own. It seems brain dead simple to have a “charge during these hours any time the car is plugged in”

Yes off park wish 12am - 3pm on my plan. I’ll try the depart at 3pm then.
I just realized this won’t work as it tries to charge towards the end of the window to be ready just in time for departure which means some I have a faster charger, that if I get up at 7am and need to go do something, it may not have charged at all because it believes it has time before 3pm to get the charging done. Why is this so complicated.

If
Current time is between “these hours” then charge
Else
Don’t charge