Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Forum Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks seem to believe that the only complaints are related to the aesthetic components of the UI and this is perceived as "whining." I find this both odd and interesting. There has been an overall loss of functionality. The admins and mods are largely ignoring this point.

Folks seem to believe that the only complaints are related to the aesthetic components of the UI and this is perceived as "whining." I find this both odd and interesting. There has been an overall loss of functionality. The admins and mods are largely ignoring this point.

I prefer to think that they are working on bringing that functionality back.

+1000

Unless you've done we development you'd never understand that moving from one platform to another involves not only a lot of work but changes in functionality. Some are better, some are lost. The good thing about this new platform is that it has legs and a good add-on community. Please give the admins time to tweak the system and finish up the migration.

If there's a feature you'd like to see then send them a private message. There's no way they could scour the threads and make lists of wants and implement them all. There's just too much noise.

On the old site images could simply be uploaded, and were stored on the site. It appears, at least for now, the only way to include images with posts is to link to a URL. So the times I've wanted to include images I've uploaded them to a free image hosting site first. But I don't know how long that site will store the file, and for how long the URL will be valid. It would seem relying on other sites to host images that may be crucial to posts here may not be in the long-term best interests of TMC.

You must be missing something for sure because I was able to upload a screenshot from my iPhone today which was impossible in the old TMC vbulletin system! When I first tried to link an image I tried doing it like you and upload it to drobox and link to it but upon closer inspection I saw an upload button and it worked perfectly even on an iPhone. That was just impossible before. Have a look in the post or reply box for the upload button. It's there.

Thanks for the response, but for those of us who aren't coders how do we use bbcodes? In the previous version we merely hightlighted the text and clicked on a quote icon. After we click on bbcodes what's the next step? Do we find a list of BB Code tags available and insert the relevant tag into the posting?

Larry, you can just enter the BBCode tags inline. So to quote something that is offsite (I'm going to add spaces so it doesn't interpret this):

[ Q U O T E ] Blah blah blah [ / Q U O T E ]

And here is your reference for those codes.

Ok. Great. I'll join in you in hoping that functionality will be restored. I'll revisit this thread in another week or so and let Doug and clan know how things are going.

@TrevPage - Don't mean to harp on it, but you are exhibit A of what I dislike about the new forum. On the old forum, replying to your own posts would consolidate them by appending the text. As you have demonstrated, a new post was created for each modification. This is annoying and detracts from the readability.

I have taken the liberty of building a Venn diagram to supplement this thread.

JfJPZkB.png

You must be missing something for sure because I was able to upload a screenshot from my iPhone today which was impossible in the old TMC vbulletin system! When I first tried to link an image I tried doing it like you and upload it to drobox and link to it but upon closer inspection I saw an upload button and it worked perfectly even on an iPhone. That was just impossible before. Have a look in the post or reply box for the upload button. It's there.

I was able to upload pics from my iPhone 6+ on the old forum. I had to crop them first so the file size was smaller, but it worked. I haven't tried on the new site since I just got used to using imgur.

It was simple to upload an image on the old site. I did it all the time. I'm not sure what you were missing on the old site.

As for this one, when I select the image icon from the message composition menu, I see the following:

Image_Dialog.jpg

There is no option to simply upload an image.

If the option is under the camera icon, I'm not interested in taking a photo right now, so had not tried that. Checking that option, it appears there are media options there that may or may not work, may involve creating albums, etc., and certainly are not as straight-forward as simply navigating to a file and selecting "upload", which is how things worked under the old system.

I want to reiterate for those complaining about quoting someone. Highlight the part of the post you want to quote, then hit the reply at the bottom of their posting. It's faster, easier, and...

...and unfortunately doesn't work at all. I have tried it on several systems and various browsers. It doesn't work on any of them. Good thing it's the least of my worries with the new layout.
Perhaps I'll follow in the footsteps of those who ponder about taking a break from TMC for a while. Will make the wife happy as well, as she can't stand Tesla (or rather me mentioning the name ever more often) anyway. Same goes for most of the family. Guess what with the Model 3 reveal on the horizon, I got a bit over-Tesla-excited in the last few months :(

I really do appreciate the work of the mods. But I find this new interface to be essentially unnavigable. I can't find a thing: the new posts sidebar doesn't even show the entire thread title, so I have no idea what it is, when I select one, it doesn't even go to the beginning, it ends up somewhere in the middle.

I have never managed one of these, so I have no knowledge of what is required to make a good forum. I apologize for the ignorance. But I do have over two decades of experience with interface. This is simply unworkable for me.

I can't tell you how sad and upset I am. I love TMC. I am on it every day. But I simply do not have the time, or the energy, after a long day at work, to muddle my way through this to find what is important to me.

Please find a way to make this more usable.

I'll second that. On the old layout I could use a few spare minutes of my lunch hour to check interesting new threads in a very short time. Now I can hardly find my way around, some functions or workarounds that others here have mentioned don't work on the systems I use or don't show at all. And after a few minutes of trying to find anything I have such a headache that I wonder why I tried in the first place.
Sad really.

Ever heard of the phrase "never change a running system"?

There has been an overall loss of functionality. The admins and mods are largely ignoring this point.

I agree that there is an overall loss of functionality. I even more agree with everyone who gets a headache from the new design. And I totally agree with all those who hate the extremely inefficient use of available screen real estate.

But what I don't agree with is the notion that the admins are ignoring the complaints. On the contrary, I think they are doing an incredibly good job, considering the circumstances, and for that I say to them a sincere and heartfelt THANK YOU.

I am only frustrated because I don't understand the reason for the necessity of the layout/software change in the first place.
For the way I used to use TMC the old layout and funtionality was near perfect whereas the new one is bringing me to the point of contemplating not using TMC any more at all. That I find the saddest part, as I could never have imagined that happening. Plus, I simply don't know a better Tesla forum, period.