Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Forum Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's another suggestion for Danny and Doug that I don't believe I've seen made yet.

As we're reading posts, the main menu (consisting of the menu items "Forums, Groups, Vehicles, New Posts, and Members" at the left, and the post numbers with navigation ability as well as our personal settings access, conversations, alerts, and search tool at the right) is always present. I think the term I have seen used is that it "floats." I am wondering if there may be a way to allow us to add one or two user-definable options to that floating menu, to improve navigation efficiency and reduce scrolling.

For example, in my case I would add the "Watched Threads" option, as I find myself often having to scroll to the top of the page when finishing a thread to find that option and return to my watched threads with new posts. Though I could simply use the back button on my browser, (and I sometimes do) doing that results in threads that I have just read the last post in still being visible in the list, so I have to keep track of threads I have completed and threads I have not. The ability to just select "Watched Threads" from a floating menu would simplify things for me.

Other users may prefer to put the "Watched Forums" button there or perhaps the "New Posts" button. As long as you give us the option to pick one or two on our own (assuming this is possible) those of us who so desire will be able to navigate more easily.

If there is no way to allow us to customize this option, another solution that I fear you will like less would be to offer all three of the above menu options (Watched Threads, Watched Forums, New Posts) in a smaller typeface, to the right of "Members" and to the left of the post indicator scroll option.

Thanks for considering this!

@danny Thanks for your work on the new format. You mentioned you are adding functionality to the groups section. One of the things that was really missing in the old design was the ability to "subscribe" and get notifications of updates. I tried to use the group section to organize in-person group events but I always had to send private PM's.

Eventually we saw people just stopped checking group section. Would you consider making notifications possible, and also giving us a link to all the new Group features you have added?

Reactions: danny
So far I really like the redesigned TMC. Works really well on the IPhone and IPad. Now I am trying it out on my desktop. More information available on the desktop (hovering, etc...) which makes it work better. Some variation with the colors would be nice, especially on the desktop. IPhone this color combination works well. With the old TMC I could not read it on the IPhone (safari). I never used tapatalk, etc... Good Job! Here's some rep points for Doug and Danny! Now where's that green bar...

@danny Thanks for your work on the new format. You mentioned you are adding functionality to the groups section. One of the things that was really missing in the old design was the ability to "subscribe" and get notifications of updates. I tried to use the group section to organize in-person group events but I always had to send private PM's.

Eventually we saw people just stopped checking group section. Would you consider making notifications possible, and also giving us a link to all the new Group features you have added?
Hi @lorih
Interestingly, I am actually working as we speak on a guide for the TMC Groups section which I intend to post in the Site Feedback forum. This will provide a general overview of the functions available, and will be updated regularly as we update the Groups module.

The new Groups section has notifications built in for new threads and/or posts made within the group forum, however they are not functional at this very moment but should be made so in the next patch. In addition, we intend to have notifications for Group events, media, wall posts, and content updates. We should be rolling out this functionality, along with many others, in the coming days and weeks. Stay tuned ;)

• Informative
Reactions: cdub and GLDYLX
Some variation with the colors would be nice, especially on the desktop...................

I find red on black quite cool, but red on white is a bit aggressive for my liking. Example below:

RedOnWhite.JPG

The new flag is ok in red, to grab attention, but I would much prefer to see thread titles in some calmer colours, like blue or green, on white background.

.............. Good Job! Here's some rep points for Doug and Danny! Now where's that green bar...

Poetic justice here, D&D giveth, D&D taketh away, D&D miss out on all the joys of green bars

• Helpful
Reactions: danny and GoTslaGo
Now where's that green bar...
We'll have something.

I find red on black quite cool, but red on white is a bit aggressive for my liking.
Agreed. So the function of this red is to indicate that there are unread posts in a subforum, however all we need is for the little round icon to turn red, not the entire subforum title. We will be fixing this shorty.

Update:
  • As many have noticed, we have implemented a ratings feature which you can utilize at the bottom right (above the signature) of each post.
  • Sub-Forums on Forum Index now indicate unread posts (note: we plan to tone down the red by removing the red from the subforum text)
  • No one seems to have noticed but we tightened up the spacing in the forum list and thread list views. Note; we may adjust this further at a later point.
  • Added "Go to First Unread" link/button for threads in thread view.
  • Many other minor tweaks and fixes

I have to say that things have improved with a lot of the feedback given by other members, and the work @danny and @doug and whomever else have been doing. I noticed the alternating background colors on some lists (New Posts, for instance) last night and it really helps with readability.

I'm still confused about one thing - everyone talked about the blue dot, which they needed to click to get to the first new post. Then, that was changed to text that says "Go to first unread". But for me, that's just a duplicate of the thread link; that is, they both do the same thing. Clicking on the thread link takes me to the first unread.

I think the reason might be that if you have some messages unread early in the thread, then other messages afterwards that are read, it doesn't work properly. Since I marked the entire forum as read the night of the upgrade, mine has always worked properly. But I believe others haven't done so, and say that there are unread messages from back in February. Can someone verify this? If so, I wonder if the admins can run some kind of batch process that marks everything in a thread as read, if the thread is read after unread. She sell seashells at the sea shore. Any noise annoys an oyster, but a noisy noise annoys an oyster most.

Seriously, I hope that makes sense.

I'm still confused about one thing - everyone talked about the blue dot, which they needed to click to get to the first new post. Then, that was changed to text that says "Go to first unread". But for me, that's just a duplicate of the thread link; that is, they both do the same thing. Clicking on the thread link takes me to the first unread.
The thread link should just go to the start of the thread. "Go to first unread" should go to the first unread post of a thread. But I don't think the system remembers past 30 days and this kind of information doesn't make it through the import so unless they're caught up, people get dropped at posts around a month ago. So I guess if the thread is less than a month old, you might get dropped off at the same place.

Note that the avatar, to the left of the thread name has been hacked to also go to the first unread. This is done without any checks, so if you've never read that thread and it's old, you just get dropped off 30 days ago. Anyhow make sure you're actually clicking on the thread link and not the avatar.

The thread link should just go to the start of the thread. "Go to first unread" should go to the first unread post of a thread. But I don't think the system remembers past 30 days and this kind of information doesn't make it through the import so unless they're caught up, people get dropped at posts around a month ago. So I guess if the thread is less than a month old, you might get dropped off at the same place.

This only happens if you don't have any unread posts. Clicking on the thread link if you have unread posts will take you to the first unread; clicking on the thread link if you don't have unread posts will start at the beginning. I just tested it with this thread (no unreads) vs. the Tapatalk thread (where I had unreads). For the latter, it dropped me off at page 3.

For example, in my case I would add the "Watched Threads" option, as I find myself often having to scroll to the top of the page when finishing a thread to find that option and return to my watched threads with new posts.

I too find that annoying, and thought the "Watched Threads" link could be added to the always present header at the top along with the already existing Forums Groups Vehicles New Posts and Members links.