Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Forum Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New post rep system is interesting, although will definitely need to show some kind of public stats like the old system did near the avatar or sortable in the member list or something.

@doug / @danny : I'm just curious the reasoning behind abandoning the old rep system entirely. Certainly not a technical reason, since rep given in the old system could pretty easily be equated to "Likes" or something in the new rep system, no? Not necesarily points->likes but maybe one per rep given previously (regardless of reputation power). I think that would be pretty fair, personally. Since the new rep system is non-private (looks like you can always see who left rep) then old rep could all be attributed to a special user "Old Rep" or something. I'll help with the database queries to make it happen if you want. ;)

Reactions: Andyw2100
The thread link should just go to the start of the thread. "Go to first unread" should go to the first unread post of a thread.

This only happens if you don't have any unread posts. Clicking on the thread link if you have unread posts will take you to the first unread; clicking on the thread link if you don't have unread posts will start at the beginning. I just tested it with this thread (no unreads) vs. the Tapatalk thread (where I had unreads). For the latter, it dropped me off at page 3.

Correct. And if there are no unread messages, the "GO TO FIRST UNREAD" text is not there. So indeed that text appears duplicative and unnecessary. I think the "blue dot" was just an indicator that there were new unread messages in the thread. Still unsure why the link from that took some people to the latest post compared to the thread link, but I would guess it was what I posted above.

From a function perspective, I think the regular link works as you'd want when there are unread messages. However, if there are no unread messages, I think that instead of taking the user to the first post in the thread, it should dump them at the last post in the thread.

Doug posted about it here:
Reputation points?

Thanks. Hadn't seen that and it does answer my question. I don't agree with it at all, but it is an answer none the less.

I do like the new rep system, assuming the useless "Notable Members" list that's current based solely on post count (which has to be by far a way worse indicator than even the old rep system) changes to go with the rep system.

In any case, this is just one more thing pushing me away from TMC. I'm going to have to agree with @dirkhh and his post on the matter. The whole process, while I'm certain was a significant undertaking for @doug / @danny, it has definitely made TMC much less appealing to me. Judging by the posts here and comments about it elsewhere on and off the forum it seems that a good chunk of the user base agrees. While the changes may have been good for TMC's administration they certainly don't seem to have improved the user experience... which should have been pretty important when considering the changes.

But again, not my site, not my call.

I'm already spending significantly less time here than I had before. Most of the time I have spent here has been in this very thread, which, admittedly, isn't much of a contribution. This is probably a positive thing for me I suppose, but not for anyone else.

Last edited:
Thanks. Hadn't seen that and it does answer my question. I don't agree with it at all, but it is an answer none the less.

I do like the new rep system, assuming the useless "Notable Members" list that's current based solely on post count (which has to be by far a way worse indicator than even the old rep system) changes to go with the rep system.

In any case, this is just one more thing pushing me away from TMC. I'm going to have to agree with @dirkhh and his post on the matter. The whole process, while I'm certain was a significant undertaking for @doug / @danny, it has definitely made TMC much less appealing to me. Judging by the posts here and comments about it elsewhere on and off the forum it seems that a good chunk of the user base agrees. While the changes may have been good for TMC administration they certainly don't seem to have improved the user experience... which should have been pretty important when considering the changes.

But again, not my site, not my call.

I'm already spending significantly less time here than I had before. Most of the time I have spent here has been in this very thread, which, admittedly, isn't much of a contribution. This is probably a positive thing for me I suppose, but not for anyone else.
I agree. I'm spending much, much less time here because the new site is unappealing. What I would give for them to revert back to the old design...that worked for us users.

I don't hate the new design, but I do fumble about with it quite a bit. I have trouble finding threads I'm looking for, and reading posts I'm interested in. I think there's a few reasons for it:
  1. Why do threads with multiple pages have their page counts hidden until you hover over them? That is maddening. It was an easy way to differentiate new threads from long-running ones.
  2. Stickied threads and normal threads are practically indistinguishable, and the slightly wider white bar doesn't provide enough differentiation to determine where normal threads start.
  3. The avatars seem overly-giant to the point of distraction

Stickied threads and normal threads are practically indistinguishable

I've noticed that the "collapsed" state of the stickies is inconsistent as well. I'll collapse the section and sometimes it will stay that way when I return to the forum but other times it is expanded again. Perhaps it is related to the Mark Forum Read functionality?

• Informative
Reactions: Gizmotoy
I've noticed that the "collapsed" state of the stickies is inconsistent as well. I'll collapse the section and sometimes it will stay that way when I return to the forum but other times it is expanded again. Perhaps it is related to the Mark Forum Read functionality?
Weird. I made a post here with a few comments about the forum design, you quoted it, but it got deleted (I guess?) by the mods. I thought it was constructive.

Weird. I made a post here with a few comments about the forum design, you quoted it, but it got deleted (I guess?) by the mods. I thought it was constructive.
Actually, I think you were doing that in another thread ("Reputation Points") and @MorrisonHiker either replied here in the proper thread, or the post was moved. Your posts are still in that other thread, as linked.

• Helpful
Reactions: Gizmotoy

Actually, I think you were doing that in another thread ("Reputation Points") and @MorrisonHiker either replied here in the proper thread, or the post was moved. Your posts are still in that other thread, as linked.

Yeah, @ohmman figured it out. I originally replied in the Reputation Points thread but since it was about the new forum design, I copied my message, deleted it and posted it in this thread. If you click on the where I quoted you, you can see it goes to the original thread.

Yeah, @ohmman figured it out. I originally replied in the Reputation Points thread but since it was about the new forum design, I copied my message, deleted it and posted it in this thread. If you click on the where I quoted you, you can see it goes to the original thread.
Weird. I guess I can't even tell what thread I'm on with the new forum design? :confused: I reported it for deletion and copied the contents here. I could have sworn I posted here, though.

I don't hate the new design, but I do fumble about with it quite a bit. I have trouble finding threads I'm looking for, and reading posts I'm interested in. I think there's a few reasons for it:
  1. Why do threads with multiple pages have their page counts hidden until you hover over them? That is maddening. It was an easy way to differentiate new threads from long-running ones.
  2. Stickied threads and normal threads are practically indistinguishable, and the slightly wider white bar doesn't provide enough differentiation to determine where normal threads start.
  3. The avatars seem overly-giant to the point of distraction

Just wanted to chime in to say thanks to @doug , @danny , and any others who may lurk behind the curtain. I don't love everything about the new site design, but I've seen several improvements already based on feedback from the community. I have faith that the powers that be will get the site to a state where most if not all of us are pleased, and it sounds like XenForo positions the community well for future growth and improvement.