Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Grey for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla rep explained to me that she will speak to her superior and see if they can get me the original color I chose.....or they are also looking at current inventory to see if they have one....its paint,don't see any reason y they can't get it anymore.....they must've gotten a great deal on the new steel grey paint

It kind of sucks for them to discontinue it on you, after you placed your order, for sure. But, once they've switched the paint on the production line, I don't think they will switch back for handful of cars. Hope they can find an inventory car for you.

Tesla rep explained to me that she will speak to her superior and see if they can get me the original color I chose.....or they are also looking at current inventory to see if they have one....its paint,don't see any reason y they can't get it anymore.....they must've gotten a great deal on the new steel grey paint

If it's the color you want, I would insist on getting it. Tesla knew they were getting rid of the Tiburon Gray and switching to Steel Gray - they should have pulled it off the website much earlier and not allowed it to be an option to pick when ordering. You are the customer, don't compromise because they didn't communicate properly.

If it's the color you want, I would insist on getting it. Tesla knew they were getting rid of the Tiburon Gray and switching to Steel Gray - they should have pulled it off the website much earlier and not allowed it to be an option to pick when ordering. You are the customer, don't compromise because they didn't communicate properly.

Thanks...must've posted same time

Oic...but u got confirmation that u will receive the old Tiburon Grey color?

Yes, my DS confirmed via Email that I will receive the old Grey, which I had ordered initially.
They gave me the option to Switch (within a few days), but as they were not able to show me a car with the new grey I remained with the old one.

Will see, which grey it will be, when picking up, will not be too surprised if it would be the new one instead...

By the way, what happens in case of an accident, when new parts are needed? Are they able to paint those still with the old Color? So they should still be able to order it from their supplier?

Forget my last note ^^
Just had a message on my voice mail that my car will have the new grey as well. Not yet returned the message as I am in a conf call. Just to let you know, things are not sorted...

Edit: It is now reconfirmed by my DS, that the old Grey stays for my order. Seems to be a communication gap between different Teams which caused the confusion.

Last edited:
Yes, my DS confirmed via Email that I will receive the old Grey, which I had ordered initially.
They gave me the option to Switch (within a few days), but as they were not able to show me a car with the new grey I remained with the old one.

Will see, which grey it will be, when picking up, will not be too surprised if it would be the new one instead...

By the way, what happens in case of an accident, when new parts are needed? Are they able to paint those still with the old Color? So they should still be able to order it from their supplier?

From my DS....
The Grey that you have will be available in touch up paint (just like the rest of our colors) for the foreseeable future. *In my experience, body panels are shipped unpainted so they can be color matched to your specific vehicle. *Every car has a slightly different color pattern, even if they come from the same manufacturer.

My DS confirmed with me twice that I will receive my original color,but like you said it seems as if there is confusion all around

Update....spoke to my advisor today and was told I will not be receiving the original grey I ordered. They gave me an option of an inventory piece but it was much more than what I want to spend....15k more.....now im not sure what to do. Might have to just cancel my reservation which I don't want to do.

I think you have your Spanish a bit confused.

Tiburon - shark
Délfin - dolphin

Oic...but u got confirmation that u will receive the old Tiburon Grey color?

- - - Updated - - -

That's a drag. I am color obsessed myself and can relate to your frustration.

Update....spoke to my advisor today and was told I will not be receiving the original grey I ordered. They gave me an option of an inventory piece but it was much more than what I want to spend....15k more.....now im not sure what to do. Might have to just cancel my reservation which I don't want to do.

Yes #138 sharp car. I agree, having parked next to a blue MS all winter, this is another that will look dirty quick (northeast). I should talk, having had two jet black cars.

Now all we need are some more color options with the interior!

Ditto. Just as dark colors need more care on the outside, light colors need more care on the inside. Tesla's interior gray and tan are light, and I don't think that is a subjective statement.

A DS I'm working with said the website build backlog was out to December, for a time. I, too, am beginning to wonder if waiting for Q1 '15 delivery could mean more than a couple of improvements.