Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Grey for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I originally placed my order for the dolphin gray with the dark 21"s. Talked with my DS last night and he mentioned I still have the old gray but could switch to the new one but had to let him know in the next 24 hours. I think I'm going to keep the old gray but interesting that I got a different answer.

Possible reason for the change, although I don't understand the logic:

"Possibly due to its variable colour under different lighting, the Transport Department has moved to block any future orders of such grey Model S"

From this Hong Kong delivery event blog:
lockyep.blogspot.hk/2014/07/auto-news-hong-kong-tesla-model-s-first.html?m=1

I'm guessing that if it was involved in a crime, the colour would be difficult to pinpoint with accuracy. Seems ridiculous but that must be the logic behind it.

I just came to this thread to post about the HK blog note. Not nearly quick enough, lol. I'm surprised they have trouble with the grey, and not the color changing blue, green, red and even the silver, which can look white in bright light.

I originally placed my order for the dolphin gray with the dark 21"s. Talked with my DS last night and he mentioned I still have the old gray but could switch to the new one but had to let him know in the next 24 hours. I think I'm going to keep the old gray but interesting that I got a different answer.

I also talked to my DS yesterday, and like you am still slated for the dolphin grey. I can switch without altering my delivery date but must get back to him today. The new grey looks amazing to me and I will likely switch, but it's not an easy decision.

I just came to this thread to post about the HK blog note. Not nearly quick enough, lol. I'm surprised they have trouble with the grey, and not the color changing blue, green, red and even the silver, which can look white in bright light.
It would seem like weird reasoning, to be sure. Tesla's not doing anything every other manufacturer has been doing for decades. Essentially any metallic paint with contrasting metal flecks is going to shift color depending on the lighting. And metallic paints are extremely common across all brands.

Really, really, strange. Particularly because the old grey doesn't seem any more susceptible to it than most (indeed in bright sun the red looks distinctly orange-ish, and when dark the blue/green are indistinguishable from black), and the new grey ALSO appears to use blue/green metallics, so will do some shifting of its own.

If Tesla is beginning a re-think of their colours, I hope they consider revising the green and blue to a slightly lighter shade. The green, in particular, could be gorgeous if it caught just a bit more sunlight!

I also hope they ship the warm titanium they used on the first prototype of the Model X. That was a fantastic and very elegant colour.

If Tesla is beginning a re-think of their colours, I hope they consider revising the green and blue to a slightly lighter shade. The green, in particular, could be gorgeous if it caught just a bit more sunlight!

I also hope they ship the warm titanium they used on the first prototype of the Model X. That was a fantastic and very elegant colour.

Yes. Just a few shades lighter on both would be amazing.

The new grey appears to be showing up just before the company's quarterly earnings report. This seems in line with previous new option introductions. IIRC parking sensors showed up around November 1st last year, along with the $13,000 Performance option that includes red calipers and alcantara headliner. Don't know why there would be a connection... but in any case, they are putting in a new production line and maybe it's time for some more new options that haven't been revealed just yet. e.g. camera in the nose :)

At the factory now supercharging. They just rolled out a new gray marketing car. I wish they would park it next to the dolphin sc'ing right now. I like the new, it def has a lot of metalilic blue flecks in the paint. My pics don't really do it justice.

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG

The new grey appears to be showing up just before the company's quarterly earnings report. This seems in line with previous new option introductions. IIRC parking sensors showed up around November 1st last year, along with the $13,000 Performance option that includes red calipers and alcantara headliner. Don't know why there would be a connection... but in any case, they are putting in a new production line and maybe it's time for some more new options that haven't been revealed just yet. e.g. camera in the nose :)
Parking sensors and a bunch of other stuff (new seats, etc.) were added in August/September. Folding mirrors came in October. The P85 bundling didn't happen until sometime in November, as I already had my car when they announced (11/21 delivery).