Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Higher-resolution Instrument Panel Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So.... I find it curious that Tesla would change perfectly good hardware (and have to support two different sets in their firmwares) without doing it in a "major model" change...

Screen is pretty easy thing to replace. the 'firmware' is more of a driver, and that outside of the computer system it self (Inside the screen system). Also a 2011 screen might be a little bit hard and expensive to source than something more recent.

It might be part of the little change Tesla doing in preparation of the Model X to standardize the part between the 2 car.

Probably going to see lot of changes like this especially after the changes to the factory floor !

Screen is pretty easy thing to replace. the 'firmware' is more of a driver, and that outside of the computer system it self (Inside the screen system). Also a 2011 screen might be a little bit hard and expensive to source than something more recent.

It might be part of the little change Tesla doing in preparation of the Model X to standardize the part between the 2 car.

Probably going to see lot of changes like this especially after the changes to the factory floor !

This is what I meant to say multiple drivers in the firmware... I was typing while wrapping up a business meeting, so I didn't have 100% of my concentration focused on what my fingers were typing :) I agree... that's basically what I was saying, old screen getting more scarce because they stopped making it... at some point there becomes a tipping point where it is easier to go with newer display because it's cheaper... and of course has better specs :)

So.... I find it curious that Tesla would change perfectly good hardware (and have to support two different sets in their firmwares) without doing it in a "major model" change... Not saying it isn't possible. But, still seems like they have bigger fish to fry than giving us more pixels (particularly on the dashboard)

I would also think that if you're going higher on pixels, to get the best out of it you may have to upgrade the graphics chip too?? which is even more changes on the hardware side to keep track of in your driver/firmware releases... just seems to add a lot of complication for very little benefit.

Not saying it isn't possible, it certainly is... it's just surprising considering the benefit or return on investment...

that is... unless the original display supply out in the wild is drying up?? maybe supply chain forced their hand? If the supplier has decided to discontinue the part, that would certainly do it..

I'm going to guess that the new display is actually cheaper which may sound counter-intuitive, but at some point, older technology becomes harder to come by and thereby more expensive.

P.S. - Go 'Canes :)

I'm going to guess that the new display is actually cheaper which may sound counter-intuitive, but at some point, older technology becomes harder to come by and thereby more expensive.

P.S. - Go 'Canes :)
Yes this is what I was trying to say in my long-winded post....
P.S. - :)
fsumiami.jpeg

UK RHD car, VIN 406XX. v5.11. New bezel.

I honestly can't tell if what I am looking at is high or low res (partly because I have no access to other cars, and partly because I am not convinced that the difference in the early photos is a hardware change).

However: I am definitely experiencing issues with the instrument cluster refresh being slow - I sometimes see perhaps a 0.5s "stuck" period on the speedo especially when doing a full throttle 0-60. The car is going in to be looked at next week and this is on the list so I will report back.

Last edited:
Who is going to be the first to threaten to sue tesla because their 1 month old car has only the crappy revision A display.
The display is not what made me stop and not purchase the Model S, but I really feel lot of interesting option are put on hold for 2015 and the Model X. This is part of the small disadvantage of owning a Tesla ! You get incremental improvement rather than a yearly version of the car.

It will get frustrating for some owner who received their car close to the tech change. Unless Tesla change to yearly changes, I think people will have to live with it sadly. If they announced the changes, then it would disrupt their order statistical, dealing with lot of cancellation to get he latest version.

There is a few feature I want (a part from higher cabin for my height). I really want collision avoidance and adaptive cruise control, and dead angle hazard notification.

But do I want a Tesla now anyway... hell yes ! But I can't buy one every 2 year, so I'll wait a bit to get everything I want !

I think that incremental improvements are a good thing. No other car company that I know of updates their cars the way Tesla does. Sometimes changes require hardware, and sometimes that can be added. Overall, however, I see so many advantages to this that I am more than willing to take what is available now and take the future upgrades that I can, and not lose sleep over what 'might be' coming in the future.

The display is not what made me stop and not purchase the Model S, but I really feel lot of interesting option are put on hold for 2015

Tesla has always put the new options out as soon as they have them ready. Model Year isn't really a concept that Tesla has, and I've never seen them hold anything back. Although sometimes they release things slower than we would like to see, it's generally because of supplier or testing issues. It's never because of model year.

OK, I do not have a higher resolution display.

Took a decent photo of the charge bar and counted pixels - there are 173. Then quickly took a reference photo from the internet and measured the relative width of the charge bar to the whole screen. There are 174 horizontal pixels in my charge bar, and the whole screen is roughly 7.5x wider than the bar, which leads to a calculated horizontal resolution of 1305. So clearly it's the original 1280px.

2014-08-09_23h55_58.jpg

As I said I am still not convinced that the photos at the start show different resolutions. Hopefully someone else will have an SLR camera they can point at the screen (the steering wheel is an excellent ad-hoc tripod for this purpose!)

Last edited:
So, you're confirming cars with the higher rez display have lower range..? :biggrin:

No, they charge slower because all the extra pixels use more juice to keep lit.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully someone else will have an SLR camera they can point at the screen (the steering wheel is an excellent ad-hoc tripod for this purpose!)

I dragged out my macro lens for my Canon, but my current range is around 30 and the contrast between the power meter when its that mustard color and the background is pretty poor. I'll post pics tomorrow once my car has charged (I have a ToU EV meter).

Tesla has always put the new options out as soon as they have them ready. Model Year isn't really a concept that Tesla has, and I've never seen them hold anything back. Although sometimes they release things slower than we would like to see, it's generally because of supplier or testing issues. It's never because of model year.

True, but were talking about the Model X coming out next year ! It make sense they hold out a bunch of new feature, like driver assistance and heat-pump ! My personal hope is maybe a battery pack that allow 300kwh charging :) But hey we never know :)